Changing Dumaguete

Diver Dan
Posted
Posted

I haven't been to Dumageti in several years and a huge paving project was under way then. Too bad is only increased the problem. Personal choice for my dream of retirement is on a white sandy beach in a coconut grove so living in the city is not my choice but do enjoy the larger variety of foods available in town. The local mindset is not to stock the cupboard and if we buy a days worth of food it may last a day but if we buy a weeks worth of food it will only last 3 or 4 days. Odd mind set for a place that averages 20 typhoons a year.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I haven't been to Dumageti in several years and a huge paving project was under way then. Too bad is only increased the problem. Personal choice for my dream of retirement is on a white sandy beach in a coconut grove so living in the city is not my choice but do enjoy the larger variety of foods available in town. The local mindset is not to stock the cupboard and if we buy a days worth of food it may last a day but if we buy a weeks worth of food it will only last 3 or 4 days. Odd mind set for a place that averages 20 typhoons a year.

Cheers!

Sounds good. Better not rest under coconut palms.  Some are killed by falling coconuts. And better having the house enough above sea level to stay above if we get global warming raising the sea level much, and manage a tsunami. There are some coasts with hills close to the shore. Better be at the leeward side from the typhons though. 

If you get refrigirator and freezer, you don't need to bother how many days you buy food for, just refill when needed   :)   

(I buy food only once per MONTH plus fresh once per week the other weeks.)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

If you get refrigirator and freezer, you don't need to bother how many days you buy food for, just refill when needed 

Thomas my friend, We live (Dumaguete) in the post-2148-0-24672300-1425554408_thumb.jp  Capitol of  Negros OR, there are not too many days you can get all your needs. So on this your statement is Correct for the wrong reason  :dance:  :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

D&C on San Juan street serves a pretty mean barbecue chicken quarter. Come early because you select your own and if you come late only sparrow size is left. This is the extent of my review. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Some are killed by falling coconuts

Can you name any?

The origin of the death by coconut legend was a 1984 research paper by Dr. Peter Barss', titled "Injuries Due to Falling Coconuts"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_by_coconut

According to that same site:

In order for a falling coconut to indeed kill somebody, the coconut must be heavy enough and the tree it drops from must be tall enough

There is a list of reported probable occurences but I see none from Dumaguete, indeed none from the entire Philippines, but the myth persists.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
there are not too many days you can get all your needs

Needs, maybe, but I want Heinz ketchup and everyone seems to be out of stock today.   :1 (103):

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

there are not too many days you can get all your needs

Needs, maybe, but I want Heinz ketchup and everyone seems to be out of stock today.   :1 (103):

Same as yesterday Dave they also had no De-caf coffee.Will try again next week when I am over.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

If you get refrigirator and freezer, you don't need to bother how many days you buy food for, just refill when needed 

Thomas my friend, We live (Dumaguete) in the attachicon.gifOut of Stock.jpg  Capitol of  Negros OR, there are not too many days you can get all your needs. So on this your statement is Correct for the wrong reason  :dance:  :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:

EXTRA reason to have big stock at HOME then   :)

(Several have made jokes saying I have more at home than the shops have in stock   :mocking:        Concerning food, which can be stored long time, I DON'T wait until it's empty, I refill when I left for less than 2 weeks, plus I refill EXTRA when I see something cheap or something hard to find.) 

Thomas, on 05 Mar 2015 - 12:06 PM, said: Some are killed by falling coconuts Can you name any?
No, I don't know anyone by name, but I saw it on an official statistic of death reasons some years ago.  I don't remember if it was 5 or 7 by coconuts. I's a lot of coconuts and a lot of people in Phils, so not odd if some get hit by them, and it's  heavy weight falling from high height, so not odd if some die.  

Compare: In Scandinavia some people have been killed or seriously injuried by ice falling from roof side of appartment houses, where ice were formed when the snow on the roof melted, pored to the roof edge and frose again at nights. But the rules concerning cleaning the roofs from snow have become much harder, so I haven't heared of any such cases in some years.

Diver Dan
Posted
Posted

The falling coconuts ARE an issue. Usually they fall because either a coconut beetle or a rat have bored inside and killed it so that's why you should band the tree with tin.. so rats can't climb. Any coconut trees where you hang out should be converted to tuba. At least that's what the resort next door does.

The freezer storage issue is OK as long as there's no "brown out" but my wife doesn't trust refrigeration because her family is new to electricity.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The falling coconuts ARE an issue

I agree.  My previous post may have been teasing Thomas a bit ( :buttkick:  ) but I have seen coconuts growing on branches overhanging the highway and I have seen coconuts that have have fallen from those same branches onto the highway. I shudder to think what they would have done to my helmetless head if I had been riding under at the wrong time.