Changing Dumaguete

jpbago
Posted
Posted
This is Philippines and its how they do it here.

They can do it but you can't. Our place was a mess when we first got it so one day, my wife set a pile of leaves on fire at the back. An hour later the barangay captain came with the police, they took pictures of it, made her stop the fire, then she had to go the barangay hall for a seminar lecture all the while our neighbours on both sides front and back were burning their leaves and still are to this day. It was because of me living here.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Wow! We get picked up once a week

There is a private contractor who does our subdivision.  He has a small truck and crew and seems to do it after his day job every evening except Sunday.  His truck is always full so I suppose if he only did it once a week he would have to make 6 trips.  Better to do it every day, once a day.

We like it.  But we only use the service once or twice a week as we do not produce enough garbage for a daily pickup.  Funny thing is, we always seem to need the pick up most on a Sunday, which is the one day he does not come.  Human nature I suppose.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I suppose I am fortunate to live where I do in Sibulan, I rarely have the trash burning problem.

I agree with Midnight Rider about Moon Café, I have only actually eaten there once although I have entered it a few times and sat down only to leave when my first and second choices from the menue were out of stock. Actually the one time I ate there was when I was with friends and I would have walked out then but for their convenience. I did not enjoy the food I ate there.

RBM
Posted
Posted

I suppose I am fortunate to live where I do in Sibulan, I rarely have the trash burning problem.

I agree with Midnight Rider about Moon Café, I have only actually eaten there once although I have entered it a few times and sat down only to leave when my first and second choices from the menue were out of stock. Actually the one time I ate there was when I was with friends and I would have walked out then but for their convenience. I did not enjoy the food I ate there.

Indeed your extremely lucky living in Sibulan, every time we visit Dumaguete seems to be more crowded. Guess I am some what biased as can clearly remember it from many years ago. It's WAS once the uncrowded city of gentle people.

Around 6pm last evening we sat up on the terrace of the bar, opposite where fortune mart was. Just marveled at the high concententration of traffic passing by, the recklessness of pedestrians crossing the road. Guess no options here. Also what was amazing was the large number of Ex Pats well over 70, almost all with a partner in there early 20s and some stunners. Well says something about Dumaguete I guess. Just wonder about the medical facilities here.

Anyway yes we had one meal at Moon a while back, never ever again terrible, nothing like Cebu. Side note we enjoyed a meal at CoCo Amigos last night, tasty and very competively priced. Just the pollution from passing trucks had us gasping a few times.

• Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Sounds like Duma is suffering from all the publicity and surely there are more foreigners on the way.  At least the money coming in results in some better quality shopping and restos.  Mooon Cafe was actually our favorite place to eat (before Yolanda destroyed it) and was, by far, the most authentic Mexican food in town.  I wish I was kidding.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Sounds like Duma is suffering from all the publicity and surely there are more foreigners on the way.  At least the money coming in results in some better quality shopping and restos.  Mooon Cafe was actually our favorite place to eat (before Yolanda destroyed it) and was, by far, the most authentic Mexican food in town.  I wish I was kidding.

Sorry to read this but my suggestion is try Coco amigos very close to moon.

We were very impressed, how ever a word of caution here.

Constantly I have been disappointed, thinking OH GREAT at last a good resto...returning some days later and its dreadful. The Philippines has this inconsistency down to a very professional level! Plus change of cooks and other staff could be a factor.

But last night was an excellent meal, be nice to read other comments on this establishment. 

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Sorry to read this but my suggestion is try Coco amigos very close to moon.

We were very impressed, how ever a word of caution here.

Constantly I have been disappointed, thinking OH GREAT at last a good resto...returning some days later and its dreadful. The Philippines has this inconsistency down to a very professional level! Plus change of cooks and other staff could be a factor.

But last night was an excellent meal, be nice to read other comments on this establishment. 

Ooops, I meant in MY town, Ormoc.  I was implying that with the increasing number of foreigners, Dumaguete at least has much more dining options.  And yeah, always hit or miss and best not to have high expectations.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Coco Amigos is good but if you want similar food for a better price, go to Mia's.  Head north past the airport and take the very first right after the runway.  Follow the road for close to a km and it will be on your left once you go around the bend.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted

Yesterday had to make a deposit BPI bank here Dumaguete. Friday always bad day for banking as is Monday. Shocked after walking in to the branch close to Lee Plaza, not even sitting room, totally full. Guard said take two hours at least. Approached teller as have the pref card, he correctly said, sorry sir I am the only teller not able help you just wait....No seating available, sorry sir.

Gave up, later went to main branch and again amazed, place was totally empty, was the only customer at 2 pm.......One never knows, Dumaguete seems to be full of surprises.

• Like 3