Making A Living

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well boys and girls just getting back to dull cold wet damp England after a months holiday life has suddenly hit me hard, shorts and flip flops have been put away and know we have to get back into some sort of routine,

Anyway as the topic says making a living,

We plan to move and have a base in Marikina and i am looking at building 2 apartments on land at the back of our home, my wife says we could get around 6 to 7000 peso a month, not much you may say but its a start and its part of the bigger plan,

If all goes well we should start building these towards the end of this year, lots of things happening this year already, and i think going into the rental market is a good way of making a little extra, anyone have any other ideas where you may make a little cash

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted

Is it worth all the headaches that goes with land lording for only $7000P/month?  Or are you just doing this to keep busy?  In my rental experience, this would not be worth my timeI have heard from many expats there to ensure you have a solid source of income before taking the plunge there.

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted
have a base in Marikina and i am looking at building 2 apartments on land at the back of our home, my wife says we could get around 6 to 7000 peso a month
I don't know if this is a good option there, but e g in some RURAL parts of Luzon, Bohol and Agusan different persons I know, have done "harvest sharing" with several and not been paid only ONE time, BUT then they did it with people they know.

"Harvest sharing"  = one finance during the growth period (=mostly around 4 months) and the other do all work.

Normal deal is the financiere get the money back plus 25 - 33 % of the rest. 

Depending of harvest size, which can be very different different years, but normaly the financieres part is around 20 sacks of rice PER HECTARE (a' 700-1000p).  In some cases only farming things (=seeds, fertilicer and pesticides =Normaly around 20 000p / hektare) are financed, while in other cases the farmer expect to get living costs too DURING the period, and in a more rare case the finansiere put in 100 000p totaly as a loan.

(The values are around 1,5 years old.)

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

i am looking at building 2 apartments on land at the back of our home, my wife says we could get around 6 to 7000 peso a month, not much you may say

We tried this a few Years ago, Cheaper Rents we thought would give us a waiting list of Clients wanting to rent. Bad thought and Bad Move.

We found out very Quickly that the only people we got for low rents were those with Little Money. They Struggle to find the Deposit, You Help them by Staggering the Repayment of the Deposit, Bad move again.

They Move in and Pay OK to begin with ( always Late but..) Then soon they are not Paying at all. 4 of the 6 units we had did this and You would (Maybe) be very Surprised at how Hard it is to Evict people Legally. So I was stuck with 4 units I could not rent out as I had NON paying Guests :unsure:

WE did all the vetting we could but things just went Sour.  

My Lawyer said well I Told you so, Low rents attract a certain type of Individual and they disguise it well.

For me My Friend, don't Bother or Build Good and Charge the Going Rate for the Area.  :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I agree with Lou I would never invest in Philippines much more trouble and risk than its worth.

On the other hand. My family has a simple duplex a few chicken coups and a dormitory they rent and have done well. 

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My family has a simple duplex a few chicken coups

Now here seems a Going Concern to look at, Steve if you have enough Room for a Build, you may have enough room for Laying Hens.

Eggs, seen to be much in Need here.

Just a Thought

JP

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
anyone have any other ideas where you may make a little cash

My gf came up with one last night that I told her we would kick around.  So let me put it on the forum.  Lots of filipinas work for call centres.  Some foreigners also work for call centers.  Due to the rapidly falling exchange rate on the Canadian dollar, my gf suggested to me that sooner or later I may end up having to work to supplement my budget and it would be better to do it now rather than wait until I am even older.

So she hatched this plan where we could both get a job at the same call center and become DINKS (double income no kids).  She figured we could work the same shift on the same 6 month contract and then take 6 months off to enjoy the extra loot.  She had it figured that the starting salary is 14K pesos a month but the full salary (after 6 weeks) is 25K pesos a month and that would mean not needing any of my Canadian money until (hopefully) the exchange rate recovers (I could only get 34 pesos to the dollar yesterday).

So as of now its just a daydream but who knows, anyone tried it?

• Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

anyone have any other ideas where you may make a little cash

My gf came up with one last night that I told her we would kick around.  So let me put it on the forum.  Lots of filipinas work for call centres.  Some foreigners also work for call centers.  Due to the rapidly falling exchange rate on the Canadian dollar, my gf suggested to me that sooner or later I may end up having to work to supplement my budget and it would be better to do it now rather than wait until I am even older.

So she hatched this plan where we could both get a job at the same call center and become DINKS (double income no kids).  She figured we could work the same shift on the same 6 month contract and then take 6 months off to enjoy the extra loot.  She had it figured that the starting salary is 14K pesos a month but the full salary (after 6 weeks) is 25K pesos a month and that would mean not needing any of my Canadian money until (hopefully) the exchange rate recovers (I could only get 34 pesos to the dollar yesterday).

So as of now its just a daydream but who knows, anyone tried it?

You can get all your answers here.

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93

• Like 2