Cigarrete Smoking Ban At Ayala

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

What I find ironic is that most of the first world countries have been moving this direction for years. And almost all of us at one time or another have bitched about how backwards the Philippines at times. And here they are moving towards the rest of the 1st world and what to we do?? Bitch  .

:thumbsup:  Yes Scott! you are right :rolleyes:  But what a way to keep ourselves occupied in our Retirement. Nothing like a Good old Moan in our old Age :)

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

fred
Posted
Posted

Smoking is like gun ownership those that enjoy it can't see why those that don't complain ...... as to reformed smokers being such intolerant arse holes could it be that while trying to eat or in a crowded place the smell is over whelming and takes away from YOUR enjoyment ..... and for those that say tuff titty ..... pack 6 guys into a car and you all light up and puff away with the windows rolled up and the aircon off .... maybe just maybe you will experience what it is like for a non-smoker to put up with having smoke blown in their face while they try to eat .... JMHO ....

And yes I am one of those intolerant arse holes ..... but I can usually work around it ....

#1 .... I don't frequent places where smokers are ....

#2 .... If I walk into a business and smell cigarette smoke I leave

#3 ..... If I am in there first and you come in and light up then you should leave or go where you can smoke

#4 .... While management may not tell you to put it out because you are a foreigner .... I'm not the least bit timid to tell you to

:cheersty:

All that is really needed to solve the whole problem is Smoking bars and NON smoking bars.

The only real issue would be that the Non smoking bar would be full of Ex smokers.. But that's your problem!! lol.

• Like 3

Markham
Posted
Posted

Can someone who is in Davao tell me how well the law is enforced as in smoking as I believe the law has been in place there for some time.

Here in Davao, it is pretty strict. The only one i have seen get away with it are people who work on the street (vendors, jeepnry drivers, etc) and they really have to keep it hidden or they will still get fined. There was an article in the paper recently that well over P 1 Million in fines was collected last year. The bigger malls have smoking areas - though i have never seen one or even a sign for one! And most hotels will have an area set aside. Other then that? Nada that i know of. So, if you're coming to a Davao, hope you don't mind not smoking!

There used to be a cafe within Davao airport where one could smoke but that's no longer the case and smoking was also allowed at the Marco Polo hotel's Pool Bar. In both cases, smoking was prohibited following Duterte's son's election win as Vice-Mayor.

Bob - which Malls do you believe have a smoking area? I can assure you that none do and not only is smokling prohibited within the Mall buildings but also in the car parks etc., outside them, many of which are "patrolled" by CCTV cameras. Smoking is prohibited in any public area within Davao and that includes public parks as well as Samal's beaches. I'm told that there are several upmarket sub-divisions where smoking is completely banned.

If you want to live somewhere where you'll not be irritated by others' tobacco smoke, Davao is it.

• Like 1

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

What to do, enjoy a ciggy (wont say fag in case of remarks from American cousins) at Ayala terraces over a cold san mig n some scran.  All good things come to an end.........

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The fact that so many comments in this thread are lamenting how tragic it is that they can no longer smoke at a shopping mall's restaurant area says a lot about what Cebu City has to offer. 

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Smoking is like gun ownership those that enjoy it can't see why those that don't complain ...... as to reformed smokers being such intolerant arse holes could it be that while trying to eat or in a crowded place the smell is over whelming and takes away from YOUR enjoyment ..... and for those that say tuff titty ..... pack 6 guys into a car and you all light up and puff away with the windows rolled up and the aircon off .... maybe just maybe you will experience what it is like for a non-smoker to put up with having smoke blown in their face while they try to eat .... JMHO ....

And yes I am one of those intolerant arse holes ..... but I can usually work around it ....

#1 .... I don't frequent places where smokers are ....

#2 .... If I walk into a business and smell cigarette smoke I leave

#3 ..... If I am in there first and you come in and light up then you should leave or go where you can smoke

#4 .... While management may not tell you to put it out because you are a foreigner .... I'm not the least bit timid to tell you to

:cheersty:

All that is really needed to solve the whole problem is Smoking bars and NON smoking bars.

The only real issue would be that the Non smoking bar would be full of Ex smokers.. But that's your problem!! lol.

I was at an expats house blessing party recently and there were 3 smokers, myself and two locals, when I needed a cig I politely excused myself and walked across the road to a vacant block and under a coconut tree put another nail in my coffin, the  two locals which are close relations to the expats wife didn't move, just sat there and smoked in front of everyone, not a word was said. One of the filipina's asked me why I smoked under the coconut tree, go figure

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Can someone who is in Davao tell me how well the law is enforced as in smoking as I believe the law has been in place there for some time.

Here in Davao, it is pretty strict. The only one i have seen get away with it are people who work on the street (vendors, jeepnry drivers, etc) and they really have to keep it hidden or they will still get fined. There was an article in the paper recently that well over P 1 Million in fines was collected last year. The bigger malls have smoking areas - though i have never seen one or even a sign for one! And most hotels will have an area set aside. Other then that? Nada that i know of. So, if you're coming to a Davao, hope you don't mind not smoking!

There used to be a cafe within Davao airport where one could smoke but that's no longer the case and smoking was also allowed at the Marco Polo hotel's Pool Bar. In both cases, smoking was prohibited following Duterte's son's election win as Vice-Mayor.

Bob - which Malls do you believe have a smoking area? I can assure you that none do and not only is smokling prohibited within the Mall buildings but also in the car parks etc., outside them, many of which are "patrolled" by CCTV cameras. Smoking is prohibited in any public area within Davao and that includes public parks as well as Samal's beaches. I'm told that there are several upmarket sub-divisions where smoking is completely banned.

If you want to live somewhere where you'll not be irritated by others' tobacco smoke, Davao is it.

As you can see by this newspaper article, there are still smoking areas in Davao...

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/business/2014/05/30/only-4-malls-have-designated-smoking-areas-345617

Only 4 malls have designated smoking areas

Friday, May 30, 2014

ONLY four malls in Davao City have approved designated outdoor smoking areas (Dosas) by the Anit-Smoking Task Force (ASTF).

ASTF co-chair Dr. Domilyn Villarreiz, in a phone interview on Thursday afternoon, said that only Abreeza Mall, Robinson's Cybergate Davao, SM City Davao, and SM Lanang Premiere have approved Dosas.

She said a total of 18 establishments in the city have designated smoking areas.

Advertisement

According to the New Comprehensive Anti-Smoking Ordinance (Ordinance 0367-12, Series of 2012), for a commercial and business establishment to have an approved Dosa, it must be 10 meters away from its entrances and exits with an area of not larger than five square meters and with no permanent or temporary roof or walls.

It is also required to have signages like "smoking area," "no foods and drinks," and "minors are not allowed" present for Dosas to be approved.

Other establishments with Dosas are Bricklane, Claude's LeCafe de Ville, Nonki Japanese Restaurant, World Palace, Coca-cola, Holcim, Petronas, Sutherland, Eden Nature Park, Felis Resort, Gap Farm, Grand Regal Hotel, Seda Abreeza Hotel, and Tune Hotels.

Villareiz said there are other 11 establishments who have approved Dosas in 2013 but has not yet re-applied for the approval of their Dosas.

The ordinance also states that establishments caught violating will be fined a maximum of P5,000 or four months imprisonment.

Viallareiz said they will be checking on these establishments to see if they are compliant with the law. (RJFL)

And, if anybody is wondering which ones were missing, here is the complete list from a January 21, 2014 article in the same paper:

Casa Mundo, Claude's Cafe, Concentrix, Robinson's Cybergate Davao, Dagat Fiesta Resort, Felis Resort Complex, Tulip Grand Plaza, Holcim Philippines Inc. Davao Plant, Waterfront Insular Hotel Davao, Jogue's Apartelle, Nonki Japanese Restaurant, One Network Bank, Inc., and Pryce Tower Condo Corp. Grand Regal Hotel Davao has two Dosas while SM City Davao and SM Lanang Premier have three Dosas each.

By Reuel John F. Lumawag

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/business/2014/01/21/businesses-told-renew-dosas-324245

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Don't worry.  Cigarettes don't kill people, only people kill people . .  ummm or was that something else . .  okay worry.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

In Dumaguete, it is monitored ( Well reportedly) by any of the Agencies, LTO, TMO PNP, which explains why the Traffic is so disorganized.

The purges go on for a max {it seems} 3 days then back to Norm.

Some time ago, a TMO Smoking Enforcer was Shot. Now I am not sure whether it was over a Parking Ticket or a smoking Ticket but after that incident it all died a death for a while (Please excuse the Pun) The City Mayor shouts his orders from the Restaurant he uses at Lunchtime, This I will add as he is sat out Front in the Smoking Area, with his big Fat Cigar. His Own Restaurant 2 blocks up on the Boulevard is Totally no Smoking.  He never uses it. Even the President on his Visits to Dumaguete uses this Particular Restaurant. Go Figure.  :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think its all about being considerate of others. Not just while eating but things that can affect others like kids, they have no say whether they do or don't want to breathe in secondhand smoke and how it may affect them later in life. Some will argue that the smoke from the Jeepneys is worse but like in the case of Ayala Terraces there in no jeepney smoke close by so why add smoke to someone else's. dinner .I bet even a smoker would have something to say if a jeepney was parked by an open window of his house belching smoke in the window because you know its not good for you and you know it will make the house smell so its the same reasoning that smoking bans in public areas and food places is being stopped. Its simply not good for anyone.

Yes its hard to give up smoking. My father a heavy smoker gave up after being hospitalized for something, (cant remember what) He went cold turkey. Never smoked again but still 5 years later died of lung cancer but he was able to give it up. My brother, another chain smoker had a heart attack maybe 2 years ago, he had tried several times before this to give up using patches and what ever but after his heart attack he has not smoked again so if one really wants to give it up they can and sometimes it takes a real push to see that it can be done.

Now dont think Im having a go at smokers as I'm not, all I think is its not hard to be considerate but may take time to adjust to the way things are done when changes occur such as this smoking ban. Smoking is slowly phasing out in the western world as less and less are succumbing to the habit. 

OK excuse me while I grab a beer.    :cheersty:

• Like 4