What Did It Cost To Build Your House, Not Counting The Land It's Sitting On?

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Where in the USA are you talking about? In California if you can find a place for such a price, it will be in the worst ghetto you can imagine or the middle of nowhere!

Back in the 60s my Aunt and Uncle sold their home in Santa Barbara.  They had a drawing to decide who would give them $110k.  Did not want to keep fielding offers so set what they thought was a fair price for a house they paid $20k for in the 50s.Such is the left in America

Now for everyone else 100k will buy a decent home outside of the pricey suburbs. I would be in Fil now if my home was worth close to the 2006 price.  Went from 128k to 60k, we are in recovery now and  back to 108k I'm waiting until 120k or Fe's SS in 3.5 years.

tomaw
Posted
Posted (edited)

Where in the USA are you talking about? In California if you can find a place for such a price, it will be in the worst ghetto you can imagine or the middle of nowhere!

Back in the 60s my Aunt and Uncle sold their home in Santa Barbara. They had a drawing to decide who would give them $110k. Did not want to keep fielding offers so set what they thought was a fair price for a house they paid $20k for in the 50s.Such is the left in America

Now for everyone else 100k will buy a decent home outside of the pricey suburbs. I would be in Fil now if my home was worth close to the 2006 price. Went from 128k to 60k, we are in recovery now and back to 108k I'm waiting until 120k or Fe's SS in 3.5 years.

You realize of course, if your aunt still owned that property now she'd possibly be a millionaire! Edited by tomaw

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
You realize of course, if your aunt still owned that property now she'd possibly be a millionaire!

:unsure: But she's dead :morning1:

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Probiliby the smog,

RBM
Posted
Posted

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I'm reading here it appears the cost to build a 1500sqft home to NEAR western standards would be around $75,000. That's not cheap by any means. If after spending that kind of money, a guy decided it wasn't right for him and his wife/family, selling most likely would be very difficult.

1500 sq ft is about 140 sq m . So yes, US$ 75,000 would get it done with luck and good management. What often happens is it ends up costing you US$100,000 or more (when you start adding western standards) and people like to get their money back when they want to sell. A future potential buyer will ask: Why would I give you $100K when I can build a new one for $75K . . and the cycle continues.
Don't take this the wrong way. But why would anyone, spend 75 or 100k on a house in the Philippines? In some places in the USA , you can get a 1500 sq ft place for that, where you can own both the land and property and know the property will retain most of its value. You say thats for a western standard place, however you have Phillipinos building the place, with more lax standards and regulations, so I doubt it's on par build quality wise. Don't mean to come off the wrong way. But considering how cheap it can be to rent in the Phillipines, that seems like the best and less risky option. Sure if you can build a house for 15-30k, that you and your wife are happy with, go for it. If you lose it, hopefully it doesn't bankrupt you. But to put up nearly 6 figures in a house there, seems like a bad move.

Anybody help my understand?

Where in the USA are you talking about? In California if you can find a place for such a price, it will be in the worst ghetto you can imagine or the middle of nowhere! In Crown Heights Compostela (a province about an hour drive from Cebu City) I can get a lot for about $16,000 in a gated subdivision with 24/7 human security guards, swimming pool, club house and various other amenities that's on a hill overlooking the ocean! :-)

Sorry but the days are over of one hour Compostela to Cebu. Try something like 2.1/2 if your lucky. This comes from driving it once a month. Jeep will be more like 3 plus hours. Sadly it just gets worse and worse.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Sorry but the days are over of one hour Compostela to Cebu. Try something like 2.1/2 if your lucky

I totally agree with you, except for the one time I went from the Diplomat Hotel, in a taxi to the Ferry terminal in Danao, in just 35 minutes.  This was in April of this year, leaving the Diplomat at about 5 minutes before 4 am

(sorry for off topic but I could not resist.  I was pleasantly shocked at how fast that driver got there and wanted to share that.)

• Like 1

tomaw
Posted
Posted (edited)

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I'm reading here it appears the cost to build a 1500sqft home to NEAR western standards would be around $75,000. That's not cheap by any means. If after spending that kind of money, a guy decided it wasn't right for him and his wife/family, selling most likely would be very difficult.

1500 sq ft is about 140 sq m . So yes, US$ 75,000 would get it done with luck and good management. What often happens is it ends up costing you US$100,000 or more (when you start adding western standards) and people like to get their money back when they want to sell. A future potential buyer will ask: Why would I give you $100K when I can build a new one for $75K . . and the cycle continues.
Don't take this the wrong way. But why would anyone, spend 75 or 100k on a house in the Philippines? In some places in the USA , you can get a 1500 sq ft place for that, where you can own both the land and property and know the property will retain most of its value. You say thats for a western standard place, however you have Phillipinos building the place, with more lax standards and regulations, so I doubt it's on par build quality wise. Don't mean to come off the wrong way. But considering how cheap it can be to rent in the Phillipines, that seems like the best and less risky option. Sure if you can build a house for 15-30k, that you and your wife are happy with, go for it. If you lose it, hopefully it doesn't bankrupt you. But to put up nearly 6 figures in a house there, seems like a bad move.

Where in the USA are you talking about? In California if you can find a place for such a price, it will be in the worst ghetto you can imagine or the middle of nowhere! In Crown Heights Compostela (a province about an hour drive from Cebu City) I can get a lot for about $16,000 in a gated subdivision with 24/7 human security guards, swimming pool, club house and various other amenities that's on a hill overlooking the ocean! :-)
Sorry but the days are over of one hour Compostela to Cebu. Try something like 2.1/2 if your lucky. This comes from driving it once a month. Jeep will be more like 3 plus hours. Sadly it just gets worse and worse.
That's fine. I don't want to be too close to the big city or my wife's family and friends anyway. It's the infrastructure in the immediate area of Compostela that I would be interested in any way. Maybe we'll go there once a week like on a Sunday for church, after church buffet, the mall and live music in the evening. Anyway, to get back on topic, the price of a lot and the cost and availability of getting people to build is what I'm really looking at in Compostela. Edited by tomaw

RBM
Posted
Posted

That's fine. I don't want to be too close to the big city or my wife's family and friends anyway. It's the infrastructure in the immediate area of Compostela that I would be interested in any way. Maybe we'll go there once a week like on a Sunday for church, after church buffet, the mall and live music in the evening. Anyway, to get back on topic, the price of a lot and the cost and availability of getting people to build is what I'm really looking at in Compostela.

Sorry being off topic but knowing the subdivision your referring to, and seemingly you have not yet brought. Please go slowly before financially committing yourself, do a your due diligence painstaking slowly. Best of luck to you.

tomaw
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's fine. I don't want to be too close to the big city or my wife's family and friends anyway. It's the infrastructure in the immediate area of Compostela that I would be interested in any way. Maybe we'll go there once a week like on a Sunday for church, after church buffet, the mall and live music in the evening. Anyway, to get back on topic, the price of a lot and the cost and availability of getting people to build is what I'm really looking at in Compostela.
Sorry being off topic but knowing the subdivision your referring to, and seemingly you have not yet brought. Please go slowly before financially committing yourself, do a your due diligence painstaking slowly. Best of luck to you.
I agree totally. Compostela's Crown Heights is only one place we're considering. I wouldn't buy anything purely off a web site. The web site looks enticing, but no website can tell me what the neighbors would be like. Right now I'm just looking at prices of lots and price to build. Edited by tomaw

• 2 weeks later...
Mike In Canada
Posted
Posted

I have purchased land about 3000 square meters directly on the Sea in Santa Lucia Ilocos Sur about 3 years ago. Over the last three years i have built a 400 foot road into the property, 1600 feet of stone wall as well as a Sea wall. Over the past few months I have also dumped 1200 dump truck loads of soil from the mountains to raise the land. We plan to start to build our house in the next 1 or 2 years. Here is our costs so far.

Land 1,100,000

Stone Walls + Sea Wall 800,000

1200 Dump Truck Loads of soil 480,000

We estimate we will spend 6,000,000 to 8,000,000 for the house and swimming pool.

• Like 3