Is The Philippines For Me

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
That means you have no choice which I would agree with 100%!

You miss understand Dolby.............there is always a choice

I could chose to continue to grind for the "man" to maintain what I consider to be a good lifestyle or to retire and put up with a few minor (in my opinion they are) inconveniences. Which for me are: No racquetball, No really fresh milk at ever corner (but I have found a substitute, no fast Amazon delivery (so I plan ahead and wait 30 days for stuff to get here).

Now I have to deal with PLDT and see why my internet is dead slow? Or should I embrace it too?

Interesting that you should list that. My internet is just as fast as I have in the states. But I pay for it.

Is it a case of you all against the new comer me?

I really don't think this is the case, you have stated your opinions in a succinct and clear manner. Those of us that disagree with you have likewise stated our opinions in a polite and for the most part friendly manner. There are some forums out there that would flame you with every curse word known to the western world or just out right ban you. Not the case here.

I am just wondering if a different part of the country would be more suitable for you? I know for a FACT that I could not live out in the provinces, that's just not me. Maybe Manila with all its amenities would be more suitable for you? Just a thought :cheersty:

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Those who stay here .. do it because they have no choice for some reason or another.
WHAT?!  I suppouse more than I LIKE Phils better, because we don't like the COLD weather in our BIRTH countries.  I LIKE my home country very much - during the FEW warm months...  :mocking:

I don't like the internet and the inefficency in Phils, but the irritation of the later can be reduced by living rural to reduce how much I will see it   :)    (Sure own water, probably own (backup) electricity production.)

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dolby, I'm not trying to be a smartarse but why don't you go back to where you're from? Either that or try to find somewhere you're happy? It sounds as though you're miserable in the Philippines. Life is too short to be miserable. I hope you're not this type but I do know some folks though who aren't happy anywhere.

The Philippines is certainly not for every personality type. There are definitely some difficulties to overcome, but there are also some really great advantages living there, not just the cost of living either. Personally, I love the ocean and the fact there is no snow. I'm a photographer and the Philippines is a great place to shoot. Lots of diversity. Traveling around the islands is cheap and it's a great jumping off point to other countries in the region. Although my wife has now lived longer in the states, she is originally from the Philippines. We have a great family there and enjoy spending time with them. I also like the fact a guy can make such an impact in someone's life without spending a lot of money. Anyway, these are only some of the reasons why I look forward to living there again.

My advice to you is to try to find a place where you're happy and don't expect to find a paradise on Earth. Good luck.

It sounds as though you're miserable in the Philippines. Life is too short to be miserable. I hope you're not this type but I do know some folks though who aren't happy anywhere.

Hello Shipmate, 

A most valid argument about disgruntled expats in general.  Well done sir!  Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Have i missed something :mocking:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
Dude... the bottom line is this... Those who stay here .. do it because they have no choice for some reason or another. No choice but to adapt, accept and embrace what they call 'culture'!

I don't know where you came up with that at all.  I am certainly not here because of no other options. I don't actually know anyone that is here because they had no other options.  You make it sound like we are the dregs of society (are you really a Senator in disguise ha ha).

I had no problems with the USA, I just felt like quitting work at 48 :)  I had a pretty good government job, they even asked me to come back recently (no, thanks).  I have been here almost 3 years.  We just moved into our new house a few days ago.  Globe got us back online already (otherwise I would not be able to post this).  Sure, the internet is slow - but that is not worth going home over it.  The people are friendly.  If you live away from a tourist center you don't have as much "kano tax", I get the same price at the wet market as my wife.

Life is what you make of it.  You make choices and have consequences (good or bad).  It is up to you what you want to do.  I came here of my own free will and have really enjoyed it so far.  Later, if it sucks, I can leave...but so far so good  :tiphat:

It's hard for me to understand the obsession with Cebu. Cebu City, Lapu Lapu, Mactan.

My original plan was Cebu - for starters - then look around from there.  but alas, I met a girl from Panay... so I never made it to Cebu ha ha.  The reason I picked Cebu (cannot speak for others) was that it is big, but not Manila big.  Easy to get in and get adjusted.  Then you can use it as a base to explore and settle down somewhere more to your liking (if Cebu is not it).

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Nobody is willing to hear the truth ... you said that one right!

My friend, what truth would that be exactly? you are only repeating what we already know and have adjusted to.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 1

riburn3
Posted
Posted

It's hard for me to understand the obsession with Cebu. Cebu City, Lapu Lapu, Mactan. When the COL, cost of living is the highest in the Philippines and the reports keep coming back about pollution and over population. I have 2 friends living 70 km south at Argao, and the reports are very good.

Cebu City and Baguio are 2 of the most talked about places in the Philippines and I found both of them to be among the worst. Baguio is freezing cold and totally overcrowded with a horrible traffic flow problem. Cebu City, high priced rental, way over my head.

What is it about Cebu? The women? They are very beautiful, a bit conservative, yes, I have known a few. But is that the reason a lot of people automatically flock down there.

I'm not promoting another area.  But if I was looking around I know I could find better places.

I love it because it's cheap compared to where I am now, there's lots to do, decent resorts for a fun weekend getaway, good varieties of food, and obtaining western amenities is pretty easy.  The people are also incredibly friendly with a good amount of the population being well educated and more conversant in English than anywhere else I have been in the country.  You feel like you're in a foreign, southeast Asian country without having to drift to far from your comfort zone.

Obviously price of rent or to own is a big limiting factor for a lot of people but IMHO Cebu offers the most comfortable lifestyle available in the Philippines from a Western perspective.

• Like 2