Eating Habits

Thomas
Posted
Posted
As many Asians tell they wish to come to America where the poor people are fat.
Yes. I have told several Filipinos it's the poor, NOT the rich Americans, who are fat.  Then they look confused  :lol:
  • Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I was at uncle's house for lunch today and I have no idea what rice they buy, but it is always 75% broken grains, oddly dry, and flavorless.  Always...

If you are not eating long grain basmati there is no sense in eating the rice ha ha... but alas we do not have enough Indians around here to get a good steady supply.    :tiphat:

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I quite often go with a friend when he heads to a wholesaler downturn and picks up rice for his sari sari store... He always buys the product from a farm in Toril which grows Basmati, Thai Fragrant and Sushi rice... What I find funny is that the farm in Toril is closer to our part of Davao than going to the wholesaler...!

:D

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I asked about brown rice but according to my wife only poor people eat brown rice.  Which makes no sense becasue it is more expensive... but I did not argue about it ha ha.  I have a foreigner friend here who eats brown rice - all the locals look at him like he is crazy  :tiphat:

Hey... tan is bad... white is good.. whether your skin or the rice. Now get with the program!

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

I was at uncle's house for lunch today and I have no idea what rice they buy, but it is always 75% broken grains, oddly dry, and flavorless.  Always...

If you are not eating long grain basmati there is no sense in eating the rice ha ha... but alas we do not have enough Indians around here to get a good steady supply.    :tiphat:

Sorry mate, here in the north we eat local sinedomeng from the Cagayan Valley and similar from our local farms, depending on the grade, 36-40/kg, can go higher off season. It might resemble basmati but basmati is aromatic.

My information is that the myth around brown rice or so called red rice has been broken. The shell of the rice and the part of the husk which may be present, is a good sourse of fibre but the supposed extra nutrition is largely undigested. It is only marginally better than white rice and not worth the extra price. Since rice is a simple carbohydrate, it should not be eaten in excessive amounts, because the extra calaries would be converted to fat and stored in the body tissues. Protein is converted to glycogen and stored in the liver. In the scenario I just mentioned white rice and brown rice would be about equal.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
My information is that the myth around brown rice or so called red rice has been broken. The shell of the rice and the part of the husk which may be present, is a good sourse of fibre but the supposed extra nutrition is largely undigested.
Aren't they undigested in similar proportions in white rice too?   :)

According to the source which pop up first when using google (at least in Swedish) not all but most nutricions are 1.5 to 4 times more in brown rice.

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think yes, have actually looked at it as part of sports nutrition and found them to be similar. As you indicate Thomas even if the nutritional content in brown rice is higher, the argument is it's poorly absorbed because it's attached to the husk, which is not absorbed.

Take a note if you eat corn, the actual shell is passed out.

Edited by chris49

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I am Totally convinced that a lot of the problem is in the way it is washed and indeed Cooked. Like most things Cooking is all about Preparation. I have seen some people, just cup it into a pan and no washing and then just cook, soggy and I hazard a guess unhealthy eating.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I think yes, have actually looked at it as part of sports nutrition and found them to be similar. As you indicate Thomas even if the nutritional content in brown rice is higher, the argument is it's poorly absorbed because it's attached to the husk, which is not absorbed.

Take a note if you eat corn, the actual shell is passed out.

Well. What's commonly called "husk" is taken away BEFORE counting nutrision in brown rice, that what's in the piles left beside many rice fields,

but there is a "semi-husk" and some other left more than in white rice, among that the germ, which make a plant can grow from brown rice but not from white rice.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

for every good thing you hear about a certain food you will usually hear something bad

• Like 2