Hospital Visit

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey fellow expats, I just got home from the hospital. I've been having a hard time breathing lately especially at night. Today my wife freaked out because she noticed my nails were blue.. I got very light headed and dizzy so we went. For a few minutes I thought I was going to pass out.

They took blood, EKG and an x ray of my chest and told me to come back tomorrow for the blood and X-ray results and 3 days for the EKG.

I'm worried but hoping for the best. Not sure what's going on. Anyone ever have blue nails before? I bought some Vic's vapor rub to help me breath and some aspirin in case I have a heart attack or something. My bp was 130 over 80 so not to bad I think.

Anyways, if you don't see me here it is probably because I dropped dead. [emoji79] [emoji12]

Edited by Richieboy67

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Take care there my Friend, sounds like an oxygen in the Blood Problem but I only say that cos I heard it somewhere, No Doubt one of the Medics among us can tell you more. 

But importamtly Don't Stress that will surely make it worse.

Jack post-2148-0-70408400-1444294756.png

• Like 4

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Take care there my Friend, sounds like an oxygen in the Blood Problem but I only say that cos I heard it somewhere, No Doubt one of the Medics among us can tell you more.

But importamtly Don't Stress that will surely make it worse.

Jack attachicon.gifwink.png

Thanks Jack, been an expensive day but they were polite and got me in pretty fast. I'm ok for now, trying not to stress.
  • Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Blue nails means serious oxygen deficit. I'd get some bottled O2. Are you a snorer? Sleep apnea can kill you. A sleep study done at a really good hospital may be adviseable.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 5

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks, I'm not sure if I'm a big snorer but I do wake up often because I can't breath. This just started recently though. The same thing with my nails. We just noticed it today.

Is a sleep study possible here in the Philippines?

I was also thinking some oxygen may help. Is that something I could buy here?

Here is a little more information. I'm 48 and as far as I know I'm in pretty good health. I workout almost daily, push ups, weights, walking, and the best kind of excersize too... :) Lately though I have been eating a little too much fried food. When this thing first started happening with my breath I thought maybe it was due to my tummy being bloated or something.

Anyhow, tonight I don't feel too bad and have been breathing a little better. Hopefully the tests will come out clean.

Thanks again

Edited by Richieboy67

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Hey Richie best take it easy old son, get your tests done, then find a nice quiet place place to sit and relax, best of health to you. :cheers:

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is a sleep study possible here in the Philippines?

I was also thinking some oxygen may help. Is that something I could buy here?

Mrs F had a sleep study done at a hospital in Cebu; it was Doctors Hospital I think. If needed I can ask her in 11 hours when she gets home from work. Don't know about oxygen but I'd bet it's available. You may need a CPAP (constant positive airway pressure) machine.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I'm no doctor, but it seem some low of oxygen, which can depend of different reasons as heart, lungs or the blood is short of "oxygen transporters". If I remember corect it can depend of short of iron in your body  - a common reason specialy among women. Low iron can be solved e g by adding coconuts to the diet.

Are you a smoker, or a passive smoker? Such can make the thinest blood vessels, which we have in our finger tips, become even thiner, so the blood get problem to reach there proper.   

(Similar happen when it's to cold, but I DON'T believe you have aircon on that cold   :)   The warmest I have seen such problem is around 12 C, but that was when moving, so it's possible it can start at some less cold, when laying still.)

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
They took blood, EKG and an x ray of my chest and told me to come back tomorrow for the blood and X-ray results and 3 days for the EKG

Always interested in cost reports if you don't mind.  But more importantly, hoping whatever it is can be corrected easily.  I had sleep study here in the USA and have been using a cpap machine for about 5years~.  Snoring has stopped, feel better, and sleep like a baby most nights now.  Wait, sometimes I am a big baby :dance: .  My O2 had been low before the cpap, like 90-91.(I'm age 55 now)  Never had the blue nails.  How did they take your O2 level testing through Blood?  Here they use a small devise on the end of your finger that looks like a clothspin and right away you would know your level.  You can also buy one of those devises.  Not too high cost.

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sleep apnea, affects people who are grossly overweight. Dismiss that.

Sounds like asthma. Any history of that? Any audible wheezing?

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2