Hospital Visit

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

I discovered my heart condition through very similar symptoms... The basic symptoms were similar to having pneumonia... Mild during the day but, when lying down and trying to sleep? It was like having a heavy rubber sheet over my head... I couldn't breath!!! And yes, blue fingertips... Turns out it was congestive heart failure... Caused by arrhythmia... But the first 3 times I went to the ER, i was told it was pneumonia... Have them X-ray your heart AND have a cardiologist read your strip... It's an easy fix but it can kill you if not treated initially!

Did you have the suspicious density things as well!

What was the fix?

I had exactly the same as you... My heart was so filled with blood and congestion around the heart, it was backing up into my lungs!
Wow, what did they do to fix it and was it in the Philippines?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Initially they have me some good drugs to dry me out... In about an hour I was ready to go home - though they kept me in for 10 days to make sure the arrhythmia was under control... I've been through this a couple times but the last time I was in the ER for less than 2 hours... Drugs to dry me out and then a cardio version - they knock me out for a couple minutes, shock my heart to stop it, wait a minute and then another shock to restart it... Almost no residual arrhythmia after that and no problems since... :)

• Like 3

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Initially they have me some good drugs to dry me out... In about an hour I was ready to go home - though they kept me in for 10 days to make sure the arrhythmia was under control... I've been through this a couple times but the last time I was in the ER for less than 2 hours... Drugs to dry me out and then a cardio version - they knock me out for a couple minutes, shock my heart to stop it, wait a minute and then another shock to restart it... Almost no residual arrhythmia after that and no problems since... :)

Thanks Bob,

Was this in the Philippines? If so how much did it cost?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Thanks Bob,

Was this in the Philippines? If so how much did it cost?

Sorry... Canada

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I spoke with my sister in law (RN) here in Seattle she said go to a better hospital and don't fly unless cleared by a competent Dr to do so.

• Like 2

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

I spoke with my sister in law (RN) here in Seattle she said go to a better hospital and don't fly unless cleared by a competent Dr to do so.

Thanks, I thought St Cabrini was supposed to be a decent one but I have no idea about hospitals here.

Do you guys know of a decent one in Tanauan area?

Thanks

chris49
Posted
Posted
Thanks, I thought St Cabrini was supposed to be a decent one but I have no idea about hospitals here. Do you guys know of a decent one in Tanauan area? Thanks

Richie, mate, in all sincerity here. There are better hospitals (like Asia Hospital, which is on the edge of Manila, but closer to your side), but any referral there is going to escalate the cost.

You are better having the next appointment with the current Doc, ASAP in my opinion. I am not so bold as to make ant provisional diagnosis of a lung lesion, found on an x ray. But I imagine they would do a CT Scan of the chest, and probably a diagnostic bronchoscopy with a biopsy. I don't know where they might do this, but definitely in a major medical centre.

The case is not similar to I am Bob's.....Congestive Heart Failure, per what he has posted. CHF secondary to rapid heart rate or atrial  arrhythmia, as he said.

So what would I do? If it's me I fly immediately to Australia for treatment under our plan for senior citizens

Meanwhile, since you are still here and now in the middle of the immigration process. I think I would leave that with her, this is more urgent than that.

Go back to same Doc for his recommendation eg CT Scan of the Chest. 

Now ask the guy his recommendation and where you might go for further treatment also ASAP. Stick with this guy until it's clear that he can't handle your case. Or you decide you need a second opinion, which is premature without those investigations in hand.

Do some searching on lung lesions in Google. Not particularly good news, but we can hope for something more positive.

• Like 1

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Thanks, I thought St Cabrini was supposed to be a decent one but I have no idea about hospitals here. Do you guys know of a decent one in Tanauan area? Thanks

Richie, mate, in all sincerity here. There are better hospitals (like Asia Hospital, which is on the edge of Manila, but closer to your side), but any referral there is going to escalate the cost.

You are better having the next appointment with the current Doc, ASAP in my opinion. I am not so bold as to make ant provisional diagnosis of a lung lesion, found on an x ray. But I imagine they would do a CT Scan of the chest, and probably a diagnostic bronchoscopy with a biopsy. I don't know where they might do this, but definitely in a major medical centre.

The case is not similar to I am Bob's.....Congestive Heart Failure, per what he has posted. CHF secondary to rapid heart rate or atrial arrhythmia, as he said.

So what would I do? If it's me I fly immediately to Australia for treatment under our plan for senior citizens

Meanwhile, since you are still here and now in the middle of the immigration process. I think I would leave that with her, this is more urgent than that.

Go back to same Doc for his recommendation eg CT Scan of the Chest.

Now ask the guy his recommendation and where you might go for further treatment also ASAP. Stick with this guy until it's clear that he can't handle your case. Or you decide you need a second opinion, which is premature without those investigations in hand.

Do some searching on lung lesions in Google. Not particularly good news, but we can hope for something more positive.

I didn't search for legions but I did search for suspicious density in the left lobe and there is a really wide range of possibilities. I guess the other X-ray is to verify that there is something there bit it could be anything such as fluid out what ever.

At any rate, today I'm breathing much better and my nails are no longer blue! I just have to face the density and hey my EKG results as well.

If I do need serious treatment I will most likely go back to the USA if I'm able to fly. The trip in itself is stressful to JFK from Manila.. Long, long long time in the air.

In terms of the visa I'll post about it in another thread. If I have to go I'm hoping to at least get things started here.

Thanks so much for the support and everything. I just cannot express enough how much it meant to me.

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted

I will say the ECG would be normal. The tech would tell you to see the Dr. soon if she spotted anything.. ECG's are easy enough to read. Didn't it come with a print out? Or manual? ECG on a long strip is manual. ECG on one page should have a few automatically generated comments like "normal ECG"

I think there will be a CT scan of the chest.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sorry, Chris, but this case us identical to mine. The first few times I went to the ER, X-rays showed a similar result in my lung and thus a diagnosis of pneumonia. It wasn't until I had to call for an ambulance that an EKG was done and somebody realized I was in congestive heart failure. Atrial Arrhythmia isn't a quickening of the heart rate, it's one chamber out of synch with the rest of the heart. This results in excess blood remaining in the heart on occasion... Eventually blood can't pump because the heart is too full... Fluid builds up around the heart and can feed into the lungs resulting in wrong diagnoses by, in my case, 6 lousy doctors. It was a paramedic student doing OJT who figured this out in seconds...

• Like 1