Sexual Transmitted Disease (Std's)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

, there's a responsibility that goes with unmarried sex -namely that you both are responsible for the consequences, which may includes S.T.D.'s, pregnancy, loss of 'face', and an 18 year sentence with no chance for parole, i.e. child-rearing.

Well there is a responsibility in any Sex, married or not, Do we mean Unprotected Sex?

Jack

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well there is a responsibility in any Sex, married or not, Do we mean Unprotected Sex?

Even 'protected sex' can lead to disease, pregnancy, etc., in and out of marriage. The issue, according to the OP, is that he perceives Filipinas as being encouraged to be sexually active, with little thought to the consequences. Let's put that to rest. Promiscuous sex (in and out of marriage) in the Philippines means a loss of face, right? Unless, of course, you're discreet. This rule is regularly broken by 'bar girls', which are discussed below by Methersgate, who knows whereof he speaks.

Edited by Vince Runza

Chad S
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the responses. It helped clear things up a little bit.  :thumbsup:  It gives me more concerns, but a clearer picture. I can't yet like as many posts as I would like too or quote specific texts, as I am still too new to the forum.  I will update my profile later today with more information on myself, that for this post or any in the future everyone at least knows a little about who I am and my personal culture I come from. I forget at times in settings like this, you only can read what I type and without knowing a little history or hear the tone of what I say can be misread. This should help in understanding my responses and or questions. HA HA or scare some LOL.

Going into what led to this question I heard the term bargirl. I had never heard this prior. I assumed it was slang for like a groupie , like a girl that just hung out around a bar to flirt and mooch free drinks. I love information. My family says I drive them crazy, because I try to be a walking encyclopedia. LOL  If i see/hear something I don't know I look or ask until I find the answer. Sometimes I forget to wait until all information or viewpoints are known to formulate an assumption in my head. This is usually due to lack of finding the information as fast as I would like too. I try not to do this  so I ask.  When I asked about when or who to ask about such topics it was more of a cultural question. Example I know in some Arabic setting women can't speak unless given direction to do so. So when I ask when and who I want to know as not to offend someones cultural beliefs. In what I had seen prior to this topic that come up. I have ordered a few books on the culture, this should help. I was glad to see the post from Jack with his daughter. This eases my mind.  

Last question for now. I know I see OP in reference to me. What is OP?

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
What is OP?

It is short for Opening Post(er)

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

What the Church took away from her and the sperm donor was any opportunity to buy a pack of condoms in the town of 50,000 odd people in which she lives. I know this having failed to find anywhere selling them in that town myself.

The Church failed miserably to get the sperm donor to behave responsibly, but he is not the one suffering the loss of face or the one with the life long responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Chad!

The best book remains "Culture Shock - Philippines" - written many years ago by a distinguished Filipino writer.

A "bar girl" is a young lady who earns her living by entertaining male customers in a bar.

Bars in the Philippines may be cocktail lounges in the big hotels, "sports bars" with televisions for expatriates, simple countryside "carinderias", "karaoke lounges" and "videoke ("KTV") lounges", "KTV-disco"s and "girlie bars". The latter three categories will contain "bar girls".

A "bar girl" is a good looking young lady who is paid a small salary to sit in the bar during its opening hours, and who will earn commissions on any drinks bought for her by customers in the bar.

The customers will buy her drinks in order to enjoy the pleasure of her company. Her contract will normally require her to ensure that she is bought "X" drinks in a month. She may be what is known in the Philippines as a "GRO" ("guest relations officer") in which case she simply sits with customers and entertains them, or she may also dance, as a "go go" dancer, wearing some sort of bikini. Be it noted that striptease is illegal in the Philippines.

Should a customer wish to enjoy the pleasure of her company at greater leisure and in more private surroundings, he may negotiate the payment of an "early work release fee" with her manager, who will always be an older lady, known, from the Japanese, as a "mama - san".

The term "bar girl" also covers ladies who work as hostesses in "karaoke lounges", but in their case there may be no system of early work release fees.

The early work release fee used to be known as a "bar fine". As with the drinks, the bar girl's contract may specify a certain number of bar fines each month, and again the young lady gets a commission on the bar fine, as well as a tip from the customer.

In plain language, a bar girl is more or less a prostitute, but would consider herself a cut above a street walker. As noted, the term does encompass young ladies who do not sleep with customers, or who seldom do so.

Very many young women find themselves working as bar girls because they are single mothers and the Philippines offers them little by way of alternative employment. In the big cities, a proportion of female college students will work in bars to finance their tuition fees and maintenance.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 4

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted

No offense, but I don't think the catholic church took away her ability to think of what is right and what is wrong. and to use her common sense. yes! religion may play a vital role in one's life. but remember, in the end it is you who will decide on what to do with your life. not the catholic church.

Also, from how you describe her. ''goes to Church without fail on Sundays, helps her mother and grandparents, studies hard, wastes no time and money on her appearance'' I don't think shes completely ignorant when it comes to sex and the consequences of unprotected sex.

Again... I'm not trying to defend the church, in fact I don't believe on any religion. just my 2 cents.

Well, there we differ. I don't think that it is "wrong" for unmarried people to have sex.

I think you misunderstood me, I never said that its wrong for unmarried couple to have sex... (with all the respect to the girl ) do you really think that the girl has no single idea that condoms or contraceptives exist??

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I think you misunderstood me, I never said that its wrong for unmarried couple to have sex... (with all the respect to the girl ) do you really think that the girl has no single idea that condoms or contraceptives exist??

Oh, she knows that condoms and other contraceptives exist. But there is nowhere in her home town of fifty thousand people where one can buy such a thing, because the Church disapproves of people who sell them. And the Church has told her that using contraception other than the "rhythm method" is an even bigger sin than fornication.

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

do you really think that the girl has no single idea that condoms or contraceptives exist??

The issue here is 'live for the moment', irrespective of consequences. Another way of putting it is, "Letting the urgent crowd out the important".

Chad S
Posted
Posted

I think you misunderstood me, I never said that its wrong for unmarried couple to have sex... (with all the respect to the girl ) do you really think that the girl has no single idea that condoms or contraceptives exist??

Oh, she knows that condoms and other contraceptives exist. But there is nowhere in her home town of fifty thousand people where one can buy such a thing, because the Church disapproves of people who sell them. And the Church has told her that using contraception other than the "rhythm method" is an even bigger sin than fornication.

LOL I don't understand the Catholic church teachings. I understand why they say things or have rules they try to live by, but For many things, I can find no scriptures that can back all of their teachings. Granted I have not looked at the Bible some use that has a some extra books in them. This will be my biggest challenge. There have been a few times early in my time with the church I was asked to leave a Catholic church when I challenge or question them with my Bible in hand LOL. I don't do that now. I just  listen and keep quiet.  :)