Sexual Transmitted Disease (Std's)

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

My point is that this is a 'family orientated' forum where middle aged and above guys get together to discuss everyday issues that cross their paths.  Or most importantly offer help to other members for whatever problem that has arisen for them.

I think you are blowing it out of proportion. As adults we should be able to discuss all issues including STDs. The OP from memory was asking advice which is no different than asking if one needs an exit clearance as to him it may be an issue.

Anyway the OP wanted his account and posts deleted which will not happen so to me he obviously feels that the members are against him for asking questions. I approved the topic with a simple warning it was not to get into the nightlife forum mode. I also placed the topic immediately at risk of closure to give notice that I won't tolerate anything other than adult advice and opinions.

Seems to me at this time of year people begin to act strange so if we can not discuss topics at adult level then we may as well talk about Santa instead. 

Tom, you make a great point. We (including me) need to be open to Philippines related topics or keywords we may have issues with. I in fact judged this person as someone who should be banned without even giving him a chance.

Edited by Old55
My computer more screwed up than me.
  • Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
Oh, she knows that condoms and other contraceptives exist. But there is nowhere in her home town of fifty thousand people where one can buy such a thing, because the Church disapproves of people who sell them. And the Church has told her that using contraception other than the "rhythm method" is an even bigger sin than fornication.

Are you currently updated on that Methersgate? 

Last few years condoms are there at Generics Pharmacy, even 711 displayed behind the cashier.  Never seen them purchased however and there is as you indicate some kind of barrier, like you described earlier which holds people from buying them.

The innocent young Filipina, in love for the first time, tends to think her first bf is her partner for life. A view not shared by the bf if something difficult comes up. The Filipino man, who may be courting more than one girl, will bolt at the first sign that the girl is in trouble. And that's a nationwide problem. 

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
What the Church took away from her and the sperm donor was any opportunity to buy a pack of condoms in the town of 50,000 odd people in which she lives. I know this having failed to find anywhere selling them in that town myself.

Iloilo is  a pretty big city. 3 years ago when I first got here condoms were almost impossible to find. Some pharmacies had them but never on display.  Now almost all the grocery stored have them in the men's care dept (next to shaving cream and deodorant),  And all the convenience stores have them on the checkout counter! 

As for sex ed... I asked my wife a while back what they were taught.  She was in college and all they were taught was sex causes urinary tract infections,  No mention of STDs, or pregnancy... just UTIs.  If you have sex you WILL get an infection. End of discussion...  Crazy  :tiphat:

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Chad!

The best book remains "Culture Shock - Philippines" - written many years ago by a distinguished Filipino writer.

A "bar girl" is a young lady who earns her living by entertaining male customers in a bar.

In plain language, a bar girl is more or less a prostitute, but would consider herself a cut above a street walker. As noted, the term does encompass young ladies who do not sleep with customers, or who seldom do so.

Very many young women find themselves working as bar girls because they are single mothers and the Philippines offers them little by way of alternative employment. In the big cities, a proportion of female college students will work in bars to finance their tuition fees and maintenance.

Triple LIKE Andrew!  A must read for all expats, young and old.  Shall we include other local terms associated with other Asian countries?  For example, Japayuki in Japan or whatever they're call the ladies of the evening in Shanghai, China?

Chad, as for you young man we are grateful that you are sticking around with us old farts.  We have other young grasshoppa under our care and feeding......he, he.  In your post #33, is it a safe assumption that you grew up in a relatively sheltered lifestyle?  Apparently, you curiosity gave you much intelligence, reading cultural books and asking more questions about the world.  You articulate well in your writings and genuinely concern if this OP was appropriate or not.  You have a lot of homework to do, just reading the numerous topics in this wonderful forum.  For example, just type in bargirl in our search box (upper right corner -- google site search) and see what you get.  It's an eye opener.....

When did it all began -- the early history of the flesh market even before the Spaniards, Japanese and American GI's came into to town?  I would imagine that certain area of a village or barrio was like an open secret among the ancient fishermen, farmers and sea mariners.  Throughout mankind, the temptation of the flesh was even biblical.  How many wifes and concubines did King David and his son Solomon have?  

In a more recent history, the US military in the Philippines greatly enhanced that livelihood to a multi million dollar industry.  It's the oldest profession for services rendered, worldwide.  What happen to the ladies after the US military bases closed in the early 1990's? Although some were burned out or wasted in drugs and alchohol (it comes with the territory), many continued with their life and became productive members of the society.  Many are still happily married with great families.

Sure the OP is about STD's.  But I would also like to add another issue dealing with young pregnancy or a homeless mother with 3 young babies. Yeah, it's call poverty, a runaway condition with no end in sight. And one of the by product of poverty is called desperation.  Try to look through their eyes.

Respectfully -- Jake

Edited by Jake
  • Like 2

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted
Sure the OP is about STD's. But I would also like to add another issue dealing with young pregnancy or homeless mother with 3 young babies. Yeah, it's call poverty, a runaway condition with no end in sight. And one of the by product of poverty is called desperation. Try to look through their eyes.

Amen to that! Desperation is a very powerful motivation.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I respect how you stated your opinion (facts) without condemning or belittling the Catholic Church Chad. :tiphat:  

Its not always easy like you said, sometimes I have to hold my tongue as my wife is devout Catholic and I am Baptist. I respect her and she respects me. 

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Oh, she knows that condoms and other contraceptives exist. But there is nowhere in her home town of fifty thousand people where one can buy such a thing, because the Church disapproves of people who sell them. And the Church has told her that using contraception other than the "rhythm method" is an even bigger sin than fornication.

Are you currently updated on that Methersgate?

Last few years condoms are there at Generics Pharmacy, even 711 displayed behind the cashier. Never seen them purchased however and there is as you indicate some kind of barrier, like you described earlier which holds people from buying them.

The innocent young Filipina, in love for the first time, tends to think her first bf is her partner for life. A view not shared by the bf if something difficult comes up. The Filipino man, who may be courting more than one girl, will bolt at the first sign that the girl is in trouble. And that's a nationwide problem.

Town in question is Molave, Zamboanga del Sur, and as of last January there were none.

I agree with what you write.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
Town in question is Molave, Zamboanga del Sur, and as of last January there were none.

Correct then. There's no Generics there per my search, 

And I just scanned the Reproductive Health Bill, and the Supreme Court ammended 8 points before it became law. Free condoms were scratched from the bill, citing the expense to the government would be too high. Free B.C pills and Depo Vera injections were kept and are supposedly available in gov't hospitals and Barangay Health Clinics. Depends also on the area and the demand.

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted (edited)

I doubt very much if these young bucks here would even use a condom if they were available.

Edited by frosty (chris)

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think you misunderstood me, I never said that its wrong for unmarried couple to have sex... (with all the respect to the girl ) do you really think that the girl has no single idea that condoms or contraceptives exist??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never knew such town could exist.

But anyway, I once volunteered in an event for single parents. 99% moms 1% dad. most of the moms got pregnant at an early age. when they were ask what happen. or if they know how to use a condom or pills. all of them said yes (no sex education involved, they're just completely aware of it, even one of them brag that you don't have to graduate in highschool to know about condom or pills...and still, she got pregnant lol!). then again they were ask... then what happen? most of the answers is that they got reckless in their decision... most of the women who answered it was below 18 when they got pregnant. and NO! they didn't blame the church, their parents, their useless BF. but themselves. they let themselves get into that situation without thinking of the consequence. they have a lot of option. they can keep saying NO. they can wait till they get a condom or a pills but they didn't. they discard all the options they have and give in to their partners request. now who's to blame? the church?

What happen to my fellow countrymen? Isn't poverty is enough for them to realize that things like unwanted pregnancy is not an easy thing? the responsibilities that comes with it?

How hard is it for them to realize that a box of condoms or pills is much more cheaper than babies food, milk, babies clothes, monthly check up?

How hard is it for them to realize that carrying a life inside their tummy is not an easy thing.

How hard is it for them to realize that a trip to a pharmacy is much more easier than a trip to the hospital and stay there for days or go to clinic for prenatal care?

Did the government or the church took away our abilities to think of this easy things? the minimum wage, the corruption, the poverty. isn't it enough for them to realize that there is very little help that comes when they getting into that kind of situation? what happen to my fellow countrymen then?

Edited by frozenmystic28
  • Like 5