Solar Panels - Need Suggestions,advice And Any Infos Related To Sp

jpbago
Posted
Posted
The only advantage I can see is having an uninterrupted power supply in case of a brown out.

That is implying that the solar system never has a breakdown, which is not likely. If using batteries, how long do they last? There must be some upkeep or replacements.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Using my highest monthly electrical bill of 6,000 pesos a month as an average, it would take approximately 7 years for a solar system to pay for itself.

If the price of gas is any indication then our electric bills could go down over the next 7 years so it would take even longer for the solar system to pay for itself.  Such is my hope  :dance:  as solar power is not affordable to me.

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

As others have pointed out, that's a huge amount of money. Another hidden cost that you have to factor in is either interest payable on that, if you need to borrow to finance the installation, or loss of interest or investment income if paying cash. Unless of course you are able to offset costs by selling excess electricity.

My personal view is that installing an 'off grid' system over here is not really cost effective, if a conventional connection to the grid is possible. You are also gambling on your investment largely not being wiped out by another typhoon Yolanda.

Having a back-up UPS system is a much more cost effective solution IMHO.

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

I'm going solar eventually. Most likely when the OP finishes his system, gets bored and VOLUNTEERS to build mine for something to keep busy costing materials only and NO pay. I think he can keep the cost down. LOL

• Like 1

florin1106
Posted
Posted

I don't know, I just don't know. If what I am reading is correct;

I looked again and the system that would be suitable for me here their price is 495,000 pesos

Using my highest monthly electrical bill of 6,000 pesos a month as an average, it would take approximately 7 years for a solar system to pay for itself. The only advantage I can see is having an uninterrupted power supply in case of a brown out. Especially if the local power system will not allow you to sell back excess (if I read the above correctly.) 

A lot can happen in 6-7 years, a person might get tired of the area and wish to move etc. etc. etc. (or the big one)

I know that in the states, having a solar system adds value to the resale value of the home. I just don't see that here, unless you are in an upscale subdivision where folks have the money to buy a big, modern type home. Folks just want to pay the areas average square meter price.

So unless a guy's long range plan is to set up a "family" home for his wife and children to live in for generations after he is gone I just don't know if it is cost effective in the long run.

I sincerely hope I am missing something, because I am more than ready to have my mind changed. :cheersty:

Scott

Please allow me a couple of comments..

You said that on a 6,000 monthly electrical Bill it will take you 7 years to break even..Yes you are right but I remind you this is the price that this Cebu company website is asking for..! It is exorbitant I think and IMO it's a No, No !

To get it cheap or way Cheaper you have to do it yourself..Yes DIY !To build a Solar Panel is not rocket science or nano molecular nuclear particle fusion..

You just need to learn to Soder as I do.., drill some holes in an aluminium frame, hacksaw some aluminium angle bars..apply some silicone from tubes( caulking ) ,and tie some screws..That is all there is !

For the wiring, and to be on the safe side for not making any mistakes just bring an electrician and pay him 2-3 days labor..

Depending on the size of your house you can build a less powerful system just to cover your heavy appliances..If you do it yourself it will cost you around 200,000 pesos or less.

The system that I am looking for is quite big and sure it'll cost me 300,000 or less.

I will post here every piso I will spend with all this..

All this make sense if you have your own house and don't plan to move out in the next 7 years as you said..!

Take care

Chuck

robert k
Posted
Posted

I wonder if anyone has looked into building their own battery. A lead acid battery is not rocket science either. Sheet lead, either roofing or radiation shielding, the stationary battery could be built on site (possibly in ground for temperature stability) with concrete / fibreglass casing lined with the appropriate substance, built to any size. Built so that the plates are easy to remove as a module for easy cleaning or replacement.

If a deep cycle battery should not be discharged past 50% which is based on the electrolyte available....what if 10 times the amount of electrolyte were available? maybe you could remove the working parts of marine batteries and basically give them a bigger housing so they would hold more charge. Water being heavier than sulfuric acid, I think being just a little deeper would be a benefit. the acid would migrate up while the heavier water migrated down. possibly you could attain a higher percentage discharge rate also as the plates would not be half submerged in water at what would have been 50% discharge before.

I know, thinking can be dangerous. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Yes DIY !To build a Solar Panel is not rocket science or nano molecular nuclear particle fusion..

Agree 110% Florin, DIY would be the only way to go IMHO at least cost wise. If a guy had the tools, the technical know how, the patience and  the cash available to do the job right from the start.

I meet only one of those criteria :hystery: .

But know this, I will be standing on the sideline cheering you on all the way. You won't hear any derogatory comments when a guy can try something I know I can't :tiphat: .

I will post here every piso I will spend with all this..

This is where the rubber meets the road, and I am sure all of us here on the board are looking forward to seeing this project started, completed and what the final cost is. Until a chap like yourself undertakes something like this, its all just academic chin wagging.

Good luck brother :cheersty: .

• Like 3

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Just to close the loop and share what I got back about an estimate. I asked about feeding back to the electric company with a 2kw system. No batteries.

Cebu Solar said:

2.0 Kw grid tie———————-p 210,700

If you have time we can go over the details via call or texts or email or in person.

Yes I can train you in design and Installation.

----- Last part. I also asked about training in solar power.

IF I did my math right (better at math than solar power generation) this system would pay for itself in 3.5 years. That sounds encouraging.

• Like 4

florin1106
Posted
Posted

I wonder if anyone has looked into building their own battery. A lead acid battery is not rocket science either. Sheet lead, either roofing or radiation shielding, the stationary battery could be built on site (possibly in ground for temperature stability) with concrete / fibreglass casing lined with the appropriate substance, built to any size. Built so that the plates are easy to remove as a module for easy cleaning or replacement.

If a deep cycle battery should not be discharged past 50% which is based on the electrolyte available....what if 10 times the amount of electrolyte were available? maybe you could remove the working parts of marine batteries and basically give them a bigger housing so they would hold more charge. Water being heavier than sulfuric acid, I think being just a little deeper would be a benefit. the acid would migrate up while the heavier water migrated down. possibly you could attain a higher percentage discharge rate also as the plates would not be half submerged in water at what would have been 50% discharge before.

Hi Rob..

I like that  quote..thinking can be dangerous ! He, he it is real !You are right..

About your alternative to batteries ..I think probably would be nice but you need someone with a great knowledge to build such a system..You mean to dig a hole, concrete and fiberglass lining..sulfuric acid..Oh gosh isn't that too dangerous? What if you have a leak..where all this acid go? In the water table?

I don't know but this would be too much, too overwhelming to me..I won't go there..!

How is your system work? 

I know you have a small one..Do you have any savings?

Thanks 

Chuck

robert k
Posted
Posted

Hi Rob..

I like that  quote..thinking can be dangerous ! He, he it is real !You are right..

About your alternative to batteries ..I think probably would be nice but you need someone with a great knowledge to build such a system..You mean to dig a hole, concrete and fiberglass lining..sulfuric acid..Oh gosh isn't that too dangerous? What if you have a leak..where all this acid go? In the water table?

I don't know but this would be too much, too overwhelming to me..I won't go there..!

How is your system work? 

I know you have a small one..Do you have any savings?

Thanks 

Chuck

Actually the home built battery wasn't mine. It belonged to a man I spoke to who lived off grid in Panama and he used wind, solar and when absolutely necessary, a generator. His was at ground level and made out of concrete with a liner a meter in length and about .75 meter square. As for where the contamination would go if it leaked? If one of your batteries should happen to boil over or even blow up, where will the contamination go? If you have a battery bank in a shed outside to protect them from the elements and also because each battery may be worth 2 weeks to a months pay for a local you need to worry about ventilation. batteries produce explosive gasses when charging. I wouldn't want them in my house. Something like people install the Gasul canister outside and run a hose through the wall. A battery shed would have to be typhoon proof also. I would put mine in the ground because if the ground goes, there probably wouldn't be a house. If I were in the house when it went, there probably wouldn't be a me to worry about it either.