First Timers And Your Driver's License

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, not so old china hand said:

When I lived in Belgium in the late '80s I was told I had to surrender my UK license to get a Belgian one. At that time Belgium had only just introduced a driving test and so their driving license was not highly regarded in other European countries (although the Belgian minister of transport was on record as saying their drivers must be the best in world since no-one had yet failed the test :89:).

I phoned the UK DVLC office in Swansea to inquire what would happen if I gave up my UK license. In a lilting Welsh accent  I was told "That's OK boyyo. You just give up your license in Brussels. Then write to us and say you have lost it and we will send you a new one."

I wonder if that would still happen today.

As soon as I read Jack's post I was thinking "where did I put that license, oh my I must have lost it. Will have to get a new one when I make my US run in 2 months" :mocking:

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Basically Yes but they have now changed the wording from Prove to show that you will be in the country for 1 (one year) or more ie, Lease agreement with an affidavit to support. They know that some 9a visa Holders are long Stay

You have to be in the Country for 1 (one) month before you can apply Then it is just follow the route Licence application Medical & Drug Test & pay + surrender you licence you want to Convert. On the in and out thing Mike S mentioned, they are now aware that people come & Go so they have to look to see how long they were away for

It is nothing Mind Boggling really once you have done it. It all becomes clear. They are just wanting to get up Front with all these unlicensed people that give all a headache. Making it a Little Harder to get a licences sometimes is not the way to go to achieve this but we know where we are   :huh:

The Odd thing for me I found was that you have to have a vehicle (Car) or motorcycle before they issue you a license 

For Converstions:

http://www.gov.ph/services/driverslicense/how-to-convert-a-foreign-license-to-a-philippine-license/

http://lto.gov.ph/

For new people who want a Licence.

I see Thai logic has infected Philippine Logic also. Thanks Jack.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, mogo51 said:

I see Thai logic has infected Philippine Logic also. Thanks Jack.

Then not much is going to surprise you then Mate EH? :smile:

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

As soon as I read Jack's post I was thinking "where did I put that license, oh my I must have lost it. Will have to get a new one when I make my US run in 2 months" :mocking:

This is not a good thing for me, as I return to my home country every year at least once.  Are they still insisting on this?  What is their logic?

mogo51
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

Then not much is going to surprise you then Mate EH? :smile:

I thought I was coming to somewhere where they are a bit smarter????

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

This is not a good thing for me, as I return to my home country every year at least once.  Are they still insisting on this?  What is their logic?

Once you have the Licence I wont matter but they are now aware that some Must leave here and I tend to think an affidavit to cover this is going to be accepted. just do it as soon as you can when you are here and are able and get it all over and done with. Whist the rules are tightening up there are loopholes to be climbed into. Your House Rental lease should cover the fact you will remain here for the prescribed period.

Worry Not my Friend

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I thought I was coming to somewhere where they are a bit smarter????

Ron, This is what is happening now in the PI they have been ridiculed enough so try and put things right, I mean we moan about the wrong people getting things in our countries, the Administration is just trying to Grow up, "Damned if they do and Damned if they Don't" :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

If you lose your license (at the LTO) and get a replacement when you get home, where is the problem?

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:
9 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

as in they keep it? I never even considered that as a possibility. I thought like many things they want to see the original and they keep the copy. Pretty sure the Philippines does not have a license that would convert back to a class A CDL with Tank, Doubles and Triples, and Motorcycle endorsements if/when I go back to the States.

Yes! you have to Surrender it as I did my UK one in Spain Of course when/If you go Back to the States you will surrender your PI Licence to them and they will give you a US one with all your classes as they have already got the details etc I presume you have a Copy of your US licence. as Proof? If not, anyone/everyone  should.:smile:

They keep your US one so that  you only drive on your PI one otherwise if you have it taken from you, you would just go back to using your US one (That is not Cricket) :whistling:

I did not have to surrender my US DL when I got my PH DL. My US DL was still valid and had not expired. This was in 2013. I had both. When I returned to the US my US DL was expired but I was able to drive legally on my PI license until I renewed my US DL. In the US the laws regarding this can vary from state to state.

FYI, in my state since my US DL had been expired over 6 months I had to do both the written and driving exams rather than just pay to renew it.

Edited by earthdome
  • Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Ron, This is what is happening now in the PI they have been ridiculed enough so try and put things right, I mean we moan about the wrong people getting things in our countries, the Administration is just trying to Grow up, "Damned if they do and Damned if they Don't" :thumbsup: 

Yes understand Jack.  Have to say that I watch CNN Phils regularly with Pre and read their English news etc.  I am heartened by what is happening there and how they seem to be trying to sort things out.

In the main, I have been impressed by DU30 and how he is pushing forward with his reforms, against all sorts of hurdles and slander.

• Like 2