First Timers And Your Driver's License

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

So, lets just say that the rule stands long term and I drive on my US license while playing the role of dumb blonde American woman at checkpoints. Hey... You use what you've got, right? :hystery:

1) Can I purchase and insure a trike without a PI license and successfully register it?

2) What is the fine if my acting skills aren't up to par and they cite me for not having the PI license that is now seemingly impossible to obtain?

:hystery: Bella I will be quiet as all I can offer is Silly :rolleyes:

Pffft. I thrive on silly. I live in PI, don't I? You can't possibly live here without a sense of humor.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2) What is the fine if my acting skills aren't up to par and they cite me for not having the PI license that is now seemingly impossible to obtain?

Its not the fine that will hurt.  If you are driving a vehicle while not being in possession a valid license they may confiscate the vehicle.  They confiscated mine and I know of two others that happened to.  Fortunately, I was able to trot home on foot and get my license and run back to get my motorcycle before they packed it up and left for the day.  You will have to pay a fine and show a valid license to get it back.

• Like 2

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

Its not the fine that will hurt. If you are driving a vehicle while not being in possession a valid license they may confiscate the vehicle. They confiscated mine and I know of two others that happened to. Fortunately, I was able to trot home on foot and get my license and run back to get my motorcycle before they packed it up and left for the day. You will have to pay a fine and show a valid license to get it back.

Well, that's less than desirable. Especially if I have my son with me at the time.

Ok, then. I'll take my lease with me and hope for the best. Or hope that they realize this rule isn't working out so great before I hit 90 days.

RonHenk
Posted
Posted

So, lets just say that the rule stands long term and I drive on my US license while playing the role of dumb blonde American woman at checkpoints. Hey... You use what you've got, right? :hystery:

1) Can I purchase and insure a trike without a PI license and successfully register it?

Bella, I don't think getting a license here is "impossible". I have managed to convince one of the LTO directors I've spoken to, to issue me a license if I get a new Balikbayan visa and see him within 2-3 days of getting off the plane. That's my current plan. Don't know if you're Balikbayan. But that might be an option. Also, others have posted in this thread about having luck with a lease. So at least give it a try. You never know.

Answer to #1: Yes, I have purchased and successfully registered a motorcycle without a PI license. It was bought new though and registered through the dealer. Not sure about a used one, doing it yourself.

Answer to #2: Who knows? Could be anything from "Give me P100 and I'll let you go" to impounding you trike. Thus is the PI.

Ron

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

Bella, I don't think getting a license here is "impossible". I have managed to convince one of the LTO directors I've spoken to, to issue me a license if I get a new Balikbayan visa and see him within 2-3 days of getting off the plane. That's my current plan. Don't know if you're Balikbayan. But that might be an option. Also, others have posted in this thread about having luck with a lease. So at least give it a try. You never know.

Answer to #1: Yes, I have purchased and successfully registered a motorcycle without a PI license. It was bought new though and registered through the dealer. Not sure about a used one, doing it yourself.

Answer to #2: Who knows? Could be anything from "Give me P100 and I'll let you go" to impounding you trike. Thus is the PI.

Ron

No, I'm not Balikbayan. I'm an American married to an American. I'm going to try to get the license with my lease and see what happens. I've still got a month before I apply, so maybe a better option will present itself in the mean time.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

JUST  A REMINDER TO ALL

We don't discuss committing illegal acts on this forum

Thank you!

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

JUST A REMINDER TO ALL

Thank you!

I think I missed something. Was something illegal talked about here? I just got here in January, so I'm still learning. If something is illegal, I definitely want to stay away from it.

RonHenk
Posted
Posted

JUST A REMINDER TO ALL

Thank you!

I think I missed something. Was something illegal talked about here? I just got here in January, so I'm still learning. If something is illegal, I definitely want to stay away from it.

I believe he is referring to the driving without a valid license and it's consequences. Sorry Bob. Won't happen no more.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Was something illegal talked about here?

I think our friend Bob was just warning that the topic could easily stray into illegal (you have heard of corruption here?) activities that we do not condone on this forum.

The conversation is fine so far.  Keep the questions and info coming.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...