First Timers And Your Driver's License

mogo51
Posted
Posted
Just now, Dave Hounddriver said:

Some of the testers will understand that.  More will understand if you write it down, on the back of 100 peso bill.

Gotcha.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The people who live in Duma can walk or take a tricycle.  Its the people who live in the outlying areas who have to drive to town. :morning1:

How do they drive 5 cars at once Dave????

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

How do they drive 5 cars at once Dave????

The poster who said they drove 4 or 5 cars at once was suggesting that the entire population of Duma is less than the number of cars on the road.  I am suggesting it is people from the "suburbs" (and I use that term very loosely) who are driving into town and choking the streets.  The population of all the surrounding area is obviously large enough that this many cars can be on the road.  (OR some of the cars are being counted 2 or 3 times as they drive past different counting locations.)

• Like 3

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

I wonder how I will go, have macular degeneration in one eye 20/20 almost in the other, but see fine, little bit of long distance problem but certainly no driving problems?

My eye sight sounds about the same as yours, but I wouldn't worry. When I got my licence, went to do the medical they had an eye chart on the wall so I got my glasses out to read it, the doctor ( ?????) took my paper work filled it in took the 300 pesos I was told it would cost and wished me a happy life in the P.I.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 1/15/2016 at 2:37 PM, Jack Peterson said:

A friend has had this Happen just only last week, he went to the UK for Treatment and on his Return he went to Renew his Licence

Because he had a new Entry date ( he is on 9a with Extensions) they said that he can't Renew it  because he had only been back 8 days

This of Course is ridiculous, He has been here over 11 years but is single, the LTO said that the New Rule is a Foreigner must submit his passport to verify the Entry date and therefore the duration of the visit. What would worry me is if they don't/won't give you back your own license so at least you could drive another 90 days as a new entrant. 

Seems that they just do not want to give a licence to what they class as a Tourist. Now, anyone on a 13a will be OK.

Yet more bureaucracy from Manila.

This Guy is an Embassy Warden and has taken it up with the Embassy as somewhere it is not right but then, do any other Counties issue a licence to a Tourist? 

Long Stay 9a's  should be looked at differently But......................................

Just my Thoughts and HO

Jack :rolleyes:

Are these the 'new rules' referred to in another post Jack?  I should be ok after reading this, if this is what is in force now???

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Are these the 'new rules' referred to in another post Jack?  

Basically Yes but they have now changed the wording from Prove to show that you will be in the country for 1 (one year) or more ie, Lease agreement with an affidavit to support. They know that some 9a visa Holders are long Stay

You have to be in the Country for 1 (one) month before you can apply Then it is just follow the route Licence application Medical & Drug Test & pay + surrender you licence you want to Convert. On the in and out thing Mike S mentioned, they are now aware that people come & Go so they have to look to see how long they were away for

It is nothing Mind Boggling really once you have done it. It all becomes clear. They are just wanting to get up Front with all these unlicensed people that give all a headache. Making it a Little Harder to get a licences sometimes is not the way to go to achieve this but we know where we are   :huh:

The Odd thing for me I found was that you have to have a vehicle (Car) or motorcycle before they issue you a license 

For Converstions:

http://www.gov.ph/services/driverslicense/how-to-convert-a-foreign-license-to-a-philippine-license/

http://lto.gov.ph/

For new people who want a Licence.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

surrender you licence you want to Convert

as in they keep it? I never even considered that as a possibility. I thought like many things they want to see the original and they keep the copy. Pretty sure the Philippines does not have a license that would convert back to a class A CDL with Tank, Doubles and Triples, and Motorcycle endorsements if/when I go back to the States.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

as in they keep it? I never even considered that as a possibility. I thought like many things they want to see the original and they keep the copy. Pretty sure the Philippines does not have a license that would convert back to a class A CDL with Tank, Doubles and Triples, and Motorcycle endorsements if/when I go back to the States.

Yes! you have to Surrender it as I did my UK one in Spain Of course when/If you go Back to the States you will surrender your PI Licence to them and they will give you a US one with all your classes as they have already got the details etc I presume you have a Copy of your US licence. as Proof? If not, anyone/everyone  should.:smile:

They keep your US one so that  you only drive on your PI one otherwise if you have it taken from you, you would just go back to using your US one (That is not Cricket) :whistling:

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

They keep your US one so that  you only drive on your PI one otherwise if you have it taken from you, you would just go back to using your US one (That is not Cricket) :whistling:

When I lived in Belgium in the late '80s I was told I had to surrender my UK license to get a Belgian one. At that time Belgium had only just introduced a driving test and so their driving license was not highly regarded in other European countries (although the Belgian minister of transport was on record as saying their drivers must be the best in world since no-one had yet failed the test :89:).

I phoned the UK DVLC office in Swansea to inquire what would happen if I gave up my UK license. In a lilting Welsh accent  I was told "That's OK boyyo. You just give up your license in Brussels. Then write to us and say you have lost it and we will send you a new one."

I wonder if that would still happen today.

Edited by not so old china hand
Correcting typos

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

They didn't keep mine but it was 23 months ago.

• Like 2