My retirement here is Not what I expected

RBM
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, bows00 said:

I thought it would be the other way around - I would expect more noise in the cities.  Are you talking about rosters?

Yes this belief that the city must be noisier than the Provence is a common misconception. Having lived in both and a frequent traveler the Provence wins noise wise hands down. Seems to be a competition whom can make the loudest boom boom.

Also seems to be much harder to discuss noise issues with people in the Provence than the cities, not sure why how ever my experience.

Best and at times only soloution ....ear plugs.

• Like 3

Larry45
Posted
Posted

For a culture that continually promotes itself as being friendly and welcoming, I was expecting a little bit more decency, consideration and common courtesy.   Seems like everyone's main goal in life here is to see others fail, and the negativity drags you down.:angry:    At least the beer is cheap.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 2:30 AM, manofthecoldland said:

Depnding on due diligence, research and previous personal trips, etc., many things still catch us off guard when we retire here. 

What would you consider a few of your personal misconceptions that you had to revise your thinking on after retireing here ?

I personally underestimated the time and effort it takes to get from point A to point B. I also underestimated how quickly my wife learned to spend all my income on apparently rational expenses. 

Been here 10 years. In the beginning, no partner at that time as previous gf was still in Saudi. No car living in QC. So I got around in taxis, tricycles, jeepneys. I would frequently ask directions and I was shocked by the number of people who did not know their way around Quezon City. "Follow the jeepney" which was actually no help as they ply hundreds of different routes.

Then living single living rent free. I thought I would draw out 10k pesos/week from my Aussie account. We live on that now, but living single in the Metro area it was never enough.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Larry45 said:

For a culture that continually promotes itself as being friendly and welcoming, I was expecting a little bit more decency, consideration and common courtesy.   Seems like everyone's main goal in life here is to see others fail, and the negativity drags you down.:angry:    At least the beer is cheap.:thumbsup:

There is a lot of truth in that... but, on the bright side, when you DO fail... they will be there to have a beer with you, and a good laugh :tiphat:

(as a retiree - I got no problem with it. I am not trying to accomplish anything in particular ha ha)

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well it seemed to fit here Sress.jpg.b0652104a81f0e69ae02bd1b1e60e3 :mellow:

• Like 4

Nephi
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

There is a lot of truth in that... but, on the bright side, when you DO fail... they will be there to have a beer with you, and a good laugh :tiphat:

(as a retiree - I got no problem with it. I am not trying to accomplish anything in particular ha ha)

Amen to that. Retirement is great..

Nephi
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well it seemed to fit here Sress.jpg.b0652104a81f0e69ae02bd1b1e60e3 :mellow:

My luck--that stress ball would boomerang and come back and hit me in the head. Hahaha..

• Like 2