My retirement here is Not what I expected

stevewool
Posted
Posted

So if its not what you thought it was , have you changed it to how you are wanting it, or gave up and gone with the flow, or moved ,

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Another problem with retirement in Philippines is the difficulty of finding affordable, good, beef.  Its not impossible but the good beef is often imported frozen and sometimes they don't take proper care of it in the shops.

Here's what happened tonight.  My wonderful wife took a steak from the freezer and spent hours thawing, seasoning, cooking it and preparing the gravy. But when I sat to eat, the middle of the steak was a dark grey and it smelled off.  Having a sensitive, old, stomach I could not take the chance so I had to throw it out.  2 points to learn from this for those who have not made the move yet.  First, good beef is hard to find and Second, filipinas really don't know what it should look or smell like so even after teaching her to cook it properly it may still be horrid.

Looks like peanut butter sandwiches tonight.

• Like 4

Nephi
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Another problem with retirement in Philippines is the difficulty of finding affordable, good, beef.  Its not impossible but the good beef is often imported frozen and sometimes they don't take proper care of it in the shops.

Here's what happened tonight.  My wonderful wife took a steak from the freezer and spent hours thawing, seasoning, cooking it and preparing the gravy. But when I sat to eat, the middle of the steak was a dark grey and it smelled off.  Having a sensitive, old, stomach I could not take the chance so I had to throw it out.  2 points to learn from this for those who have not made the move yet.  First, good beef is hard to find and Second, filipinas really don't know what it should look or smell like so even after teaching her to cook it properly it may still be horrid.

Looks like peanut butter sandwiches tonight.

Throwing out that steak was a smart thing to do. This is surely not the place to take chances. Our open public market carries beef twice per week and a local meat shop has it when ordered. So far all has been good but like you, I have a sensitive stomach and am very careful of all food intake. I did buy a package of Pampanga's Best bacon that was bad but that was the first an only time. I've learned to enjoy a lot of the local food and only eat beef once a week or so.

Nephi

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted
On 3/6/2016 at 1:12 AM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

There is a lot of truth in that... but, on the bright side, when you DO fail... they will be there to have a beer with you, and a good laugh :tiphat:

(as a retiree - I got no problem with it. I am not trying to accomplish anything in particular ha ha)

Plenty of ways to fail in retirement, at least in their eyes.  Financial, relationship, legal issues, etc.  I never imagined a culture where it's so rare for one person to be happy for another's success and where win-lose scenarios are much preferred over win-win.  For sure, that aspect of society was unexpected by me.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Larry45 said:

Plenty of ways to fail in retirement, at least in their eyes.  Financial, relationship, legal issues, etc.  I never imagined a culture where it's so rare for one person to be happy for another's success and where win-lose scenarios are much preferred over win-win.  For sure, that aspect of society was unexpected by me.

:mellow: I am learning now and after some Mishaps around my many Foreigner Friends, We really do have to keep our Eyes on the ball if we are to progress and at least Score some Goals. Own Goals can be many if we are taking our Eyes off the ball. (Think about it) :thumbsup:

• Like 1