New President

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, mogo51 said:

So they look for someone offering something different and in Duterte, they have most definately found it.

Yep! I guess you are right but..... the guy now has a Bounty on his head and he ain't even sat behind the desk yet thinking man.jpg So whats next?

Jack:whistling:

Morning All:morning1:

mogo51
Posted
Posted

That is the $64 question Jack.  If 'democracy' is anything like Thailand there, it matters for nothing.  Thai view of democracy is that it is only democratic if it suits the individual!

• Like 3

Benington
Posted
Posted

Incoming foreign secretary says that no notice to be given to the President elect's policy pronouncements as not made in an official capacity. But no mention of orders to the PNP,

His election running mate says the UN and other foreign journalists and observers need to make use of interpreters and translators to avoid getting the President elect's words wrong. So just ignore the English, then? And also to understand he's a firebrand, All the more reason to report exactly what he says?

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Benington said:

Incoming foreign secretary says that no notice to be given to the President elect's policy pronouncements as not made in an official capacity. But no mention of orders to the PNP,

His election running mate says the UN and other foreign journalists and observers need to make use of interpreters and translators to avoid getting the President elect's words wrong. So just ignore the English, then? And also to understand he's a firebrand, All the more reason to report exactly what he says?

I'm a firm believer in reporting exactly as said, carve it in stone, carve it in electrons (internet) and widely disseminate it on paper. Hold people to what they say because you can't know what is in their mind. Just make sure it's accurate. If the account isn't accurate, those reporting should be stripped of their immunity and sued to the maximum extent of the slander laws.

Edited by robert k

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, robert k said:

I'm a firm believer in reporting exactly as said, carve it in stone

I hear ya Robert, but that is assuming that media outlets don't have an ax to grind or a political agenda of their own. I hate watching a speech then an hour later see things edited to match the outlets views.

Benington
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

I hear ya Robert, but that is assuming that media outlets don't have an ax to grind or a political agenda of their own. I hate watching a speech then an hour later see things edited to match the outlets views.

One of the favourite get outs of politicians is to claim being quoted "out of context" ie what they said was qualified or amended somewhere else in their speech..I think editors have a hard time these days with the need for quicker reports and dealing with the often rambling speeches of politicians. People like Trump have recognised this and deliver a series of one-liners for speeches - and much of the public responds because, never mind what he says, they think that this guy really says it as he thinks it is.

Press conferences are particularly difficult to report on and it's easy for answers to be inaccurately reported or the editing to be biased.

I suppose the answer to your concern, scott h, is to change your outlet. There's many more these days than when the Press barons held sway. But I agree it is annoying if one outlet in a country has very great media prominence and they are dong what you say.

Here it looks like there will be just speeches and statements in future as there apparently won't be any more freely open, probing press conferences, or even senate and judicial investigations .- that's unless those statements weren't edited or taken out of context!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I thought a law had to be passed and approved before it could be enforced but if Manila police are already enforcing a law that does not exist then what gives them the right to be arresting people other than if they were drunk and disorderly? 

Philippines gets taste of Duterte's anti-crime war as children, drunks are jailed

MANILA (AFP) - Armed police are detaining crying children, bewildered drunks and shirtless men throughout the Philippine capital in a night-time blitz that is offering an authoritarian taste of life under incoming president Rodrigo Duterte.

The incendiary lawyer won last month's elections in a landslide largely on a pledge to end or suppress what he said was rampant crime, warning the Philippines was in danger of becoming a narco-state and that tens of thousands of criminals would be killed in his crackdown.

Across the nation police have already reported killing more than 20 alleged drug suspects over the past fortnight, egged on by Duterte who has urged them to begin his war on crime even before he takes office at the end of this month. MORE

Larry45
Posted
Posted

That does seem a bit illegal, heavy-handed, and tantamount to just putting a band-aid on a broken limb.  But I have no sympathy for those who are shirtless in public.  How hard is it to borrow a singlet / "wife beater" and just pull it up over your beer belly to get some ventilation while you're "drunkenly bewildered" out on the streets late at night?  Drunks and addicts don't seem to have any class these days.       

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

I am still waiting for the first, overheated and round-feeted beer drinking tourist to be shot down.

No, I am not waiting for the very shooting, I am curious of what horrendous crimes that man "allegedly" had commit or "suspected" to "possibly" commit.

Yes, it will be abused and out of hands, even before the hero pistolero takes his seat.

We can joke as much as we want and need, it is still not the way forward for a country where a third are underpaid, out of jobs and even impoverished. They are a simple target for anyone who wants to put up against the new style of governance, since this group will not get more on their table by hunting down jaywalkers.

We are watching this live, from first row.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Sunshine Mallari Capinpin was killed by gunmen who killed her uncle in Pampanga a few hours ago. She had been an enthusiastic supporter of Duterte... just collateral damage, of course...

I am not going to post the pictures of her corpse which you will find soon enough in Philippines media.

image.jpeg