New President

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Yes, but they are Raybans that they paid p50 for!

I paid $35 (USD) for my Ray Bans back in 1987. The first purchaser at the Navy Exchange.  It amuses me to tell my wife my sunglasses are older than she is.  :tiphat:

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Sounds like a good idea to me Jack.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Sounds like a good idea to me Jack.

:thumbsup: it is THE only way to live here :whistling:

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 6/3/2016 at 10:56 PM, mogo51 said:

One of the main reasons I left Oz is because it is a 'nanny' state to the extreme.

I doubt anyone here is advocating Phils goes to that level, but we are talking about basic common respect and decency for the lives of neighbours etc.  If you want to play your music loud, shut all  the door and windows, helps amplify the music but keeps the outside level down.

Roosters, chop off their heads and cook them!!  Karaoke see above! etc.

Common sense, but as they say, it is not very common.

Hah. You did not like the Oz version of the nanny state but prefer a nanny state which conforms to all your personal preferences.

What to you may seem common sense rules may feel to others like a nanny state.

IMHO people should be free to live their lives as long as they do not initiate violence, theft or fraud against others.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Regarding the varying reports about Duterte. Rarely is there unbiased reporting. There is the truth/propaganda as reported by those on one side... there is the truth/propaganda as reported by the other side... then there is the actual factual true story which likely is very different from the other two sides of the story.

Who knows what the truth is. I became very skeptical of all major news reporting back in the 80's when following news reports about something I knew a great deal of facts about which the news reports got completely wrong. The news reporters were either totally incompetent or intentionally misleading people. Either way how could I trust the major media on anything they report again. I am very skeptical of all news reports and if something is important to me try to dig alot deeper to get closer to the real truth.

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think it might be a bit more complex than that.  Although I agree it is a good starting point.

Edited by mogo51

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, earthdome said:

the real truth.

:89: Now there lies a contradiction in terms :huh:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, earthdome said:

Either way how could I trust the major media on anything they report again. I

In regards to the new President. If it's shown on TV with his mouth synchronised with his words would it be reasonable to assume that he is actually saying it more so if many tv news reporters were filming at the same time.  :smile:

The latest one is where he tells the public to shoot and kill drug dealers. This could get out of hand and easy to set up a killing of your enemies. Then comes the police shooting suspects, that was the word he was surposinging using at one time and if so a suspect is not a proven fact and with all this shooting going on innocent victims will at time be caught in the crossfire.  

• Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The latest one is where he tells the public to shoot and kill drug dealers. This could get out of hand and easy to set up a killing of your enemies. Then comes the police shooting suspects, that was the word he was surposinging using at one time and if so a suspect is not a proven fact and with all this shooting going on innocent victims will at time be caught in the crossfire.  

You mean like this... and in my neighborhood, too...

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/789175/5-dead-as-street-executions-start

ILOILO CITY—Five bodies in three provinces in three days.

Five men, including a lawyer, fell victims to what appear to be cases of summary execution in Iloilo, Negros Occidental and Negros Oriental from Thursday to Saturday. The killings came as President-elect Rodrigo Duterte, who told police to get drug suspects dead or alive, prepared to assume office at the end of the month.

All share one thing in common—being suspected of involvement in crimes, including the illegal drug trade.

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted

I've been thinking hard for examples where a president or prime minister has came into office from some remote area of a country where they had just held a succession of local judicial and government positions. Didn't think of any, but my political knowledge is limited to a few countries only.

In Britain politicians are often criticised for "not having had a proper job" eg Tony Blair - but at least he had one national job - as leader of the Labour Party - before coming PM. Another well known Labour figure, Jack Straw, who became Foreign Secretary - rose up from being the NUS (National Union of Students) president and then into positions in the party - but, again, they were at least national institutions. In the US I can think of the B Movie actor Ronald Regan - but he did get some practice in first as Governor of California - a State with one of the largest economies in the world. Trump is not President yet! 

I'm not suggesting anything necessarily needs to be done about this, and maybe here in the Philippines voting for someone from way down South was a message that the electorate has not been happy with Luzon based politicians. But years of being in charge there might lead to the thinking one can get away with saying, and maybe doing, almost anything.

Just watched a BBC programme on Louis XIV -  aka the Sun King - it was a forerunner to an expensively produced series being shown entitled "Versailles". The Palace of Versailles lies outside Paris, and was well outside in Louis's time. The programme said that historians reckon one of his main motivations in spending the vast amounts he did on the building,grounds and its upkeep was so he could corral the noblemen of France there, rather than allow them loose elsewhere in France and in Paris in particular. He made it so expensive for them to stay at Versailles that many were almost bankrupted. The President elect here is not going to build a Versailles - far from it, from what I have read - but many politicians are going to be spending a lot of time in Davao and much less time in the capital. 

• Like 2