New President

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, mogo51 said:

It may not be as much of a joke as you think Sander.  Big business ie. car manufacturers here are far from happy with output at their factories due to the propensity for Thais to take days off at will, with Government support.  Foreign investment has fallen dramatically in Thailand as a result.

Who is to say he may not strike  a deal for manufacturing of motor vehicles in the future?  I would not be selling this guy short.  He may be different, but he is not stupid IMO,

Well the political situation hasn't been really stable in Thailand for the last years and that hurts business. Only time will tell what Duterte will be like.

I just watched a really good 6 part series about Slum life in Manila. This episode was just to show what "free democratic elections" in the Phillipines look like 

I recommend watching all the 6 episodes if you have the time.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, i am bob said:

I'm amazed at the number of the members here who are using the false press against the incoming president and believing it true...  jet-ski to China?  That was ABS-CBN, I believe...  A senator screaming about hidden funds in a bank account?  First, it's a joint account with his daughter...  Second, though the bank hasn't released the full accounting, the bank manager did state that at no time has that account held anything like Du30 is accused of having...  The properties he was accused of owning?  Some are his children's, some being to other relatives named Duterte, some to complete strangers with the same last name...  And some belonged to other people but, like all the other, someone put on a list and said they were Duterte's...  The list of stupid things published or aired by the press is quite extensive...All just to discredit him...  

As for the things he wants to do to make life better for the people?  Some are simple things...  Like closing the bars at 1 am...  Why?  How many of us know an alcoholic Filipino who sends his wife out to work, drinks all night spending the little money she earns, has the family living in a squattor's hut because there is no more money, kids aren't in school because he's passed out while the wife is working...  Besides the fact he drank the money for school...  That is why the 1 am cut off...  So these people have time to go home, sleep, sober up, and go to work...  The loud karaoke?  How many here have neighbors with sound systems equal to a Pink Floyd concert!  It's still OK to sing after, just turn it down some...  If you want to party after the cut off times for a birthday or other event?  Let your neighbors know..  invite them over even...  nobody complains, the police don't come...

How will Mayor Duterte presidency affect us foreigners?  If anything, the peso may rise to make it harder for those of us with lower financial resources...  At the same time, more may become open to us...  it's hard to say at this point...  But the big thing is to stop listening to the lies being spread and actually listen to what the man wants to do...

I agree Bob on most you say, but the 1 or 2am ban wont stop alcoholism. First of all these guys dont drink in bars anyway. Our local Sari-Sari closes when the last paying customers have used their money - usually between 9-10pm. Some of them are back at the Sari-Sari before lunch time. Even if they would close the bars at 10pm, then people would just start earlier or they would buy the booz before the shop closed (7/11 is open 24h and you can buy as much booz as you want. 

You see that in Australia where most places close midnight to 2am - people start drinking right after work. About 8-9 years ago In Estonia they limited the hours when you can buy alcohol from 10am to 10pm to "help lower alcohol consumption" (used to be able to buy 24/7 aslong as the shop was open). Didnt work. Theres a line of people from 9-10pm buying booz now - most people buy more then they plan on drinking in the fear of running out - they end up drinking more.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I think a huge undertaking for him is to tackle corruption, and he has tossed out some ideas that make sense.  There are many ways to tackle low level corruption and he has said he will install security cameras in government offices, which should help.

Another low level corruption area is the traffic enforcer corruption that we all hate.  There is a petition by James Deakin to make it mandatory for all vehicles to have a dashcam.  Besides the traffic enforcer corruption, this idea helps with accidents and traffic too.  If Duterte gets behind this, it would be good.  He has proposed raising salaries too, so the officers can make a decent living without bribes.  Coupled with strong enforcement of anti-corruption laws, that could make a difference.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Like so many things, it is "All about Money" and although I have to agree with many things said here the 'Money availability' will be his biggest Enemy. people here have lived a Squatters life in the main whichever way you look at it.

All this we will do this and do that has been promised before. It Didn't happen, mainly because of the lack of funds, now all of a Sudden It looks like things may change but What will the people think, Why now and not before? 

OK so Others went back on their word, I just hope for everyone's sake he keeps his but again It is all about Money! If it is found Overnight and I was a Filipino, I would be asking How, it was never there before, or was it?

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I think a huge undertaking for him is to tackle corruption, and he has tossed out some ideas that make sense.  There are many ways to tackle low level corruption and he has said he will install security cameras in government offices, which should help.

Another low level corruption area is the traffic enforcer corruption that we all hate.  There is a petition by James Deakin to make it mandatory for all vehicles to have a dashcam.  Besides the traffic enforcer corruption, this idea helps with accidents and traffic too.  If Duterte gets behind this, it would be good.  He has proposed raising salaries too, so the officers can make a decent living without bribes.  Coupled with strong enforcement of anti-corruption laws, that could make a difference.

All vehicles have a dash cam? Or just police vehicles? Motorcycles? Dash cam probably costs more than registration on a multicab. Maybe someone has to be filming at all times on a cellphone if they don't have a dashcam? If there's no video, it didn't happen. Of course witness testimony trumps photographic evidence.

I think cam's are a good idea, I just think it is impractical to mandate it for every vehicle.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, robert k said:

All vehicles have a dash cam? Or just police vehicles? Motorcycles? Dash cam probably costs more than registration on a multicab. Maybe someone has to be filming at all times on a cellphone if they don't have a dashcam? If there's no video, it didn't happen. Of course witness testimony trumps photographic evidence.

I think cam's are a good idea, I just think it is impractical to mandate it for every vehicle.

They are getting really cheap now and if the law was passed, their would be mad competition.

It could also be that it could start with manufacturers and trickle down.  Chevy Trailblazer has a model with a factory installed dash canm system and there must be others too.  If a plan was made to start mandatory dashcams in some vehicles, and in 5 years have it in all, that could work.  The cams would fall in price a lot.

A couple of years ago my wife bought me one similar to this here in PH, and it was over p3000.  Now you can get one on Amazon for $10.  They work.

http://www.amazon.com/SainSpeed-Microphone-Rotatable-Foldable-display/dp/B004YHVNWO/ref=sr_1_16?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1464055271&sr=1-16&keywords=dash+cam

Sorry, going off topic.

Edited by OnMyWay

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

They are getting really cheap now and if the law was passed, their would be mad competition.

It could also be that it could start with manufacturers and trickle down.  Chevy Trailblazer has a model with a factory installed dash canm system and there must be others too.  If a plan was made to start mandatory dashcams in some vehicles, and in 5 years have it in all, that could work.  The cams would fall in price a lot.

A couple of years ago my wife bought me one similar to this here in PH, and it was over p3000.  Now you can get one on Amazon for $10.  They work.

http://www.amazon.com/SainSpeed-Microphone-Rotatable-Foldable-display/dp/B004YHVNWO/ref=sr_1_16?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1464055271&sr=1-16&keywords=dash+cam

Sorry, going off topic.

I think you are mostly on topic if not all, not that my opinion means anything. Duterte claims to be a law and order politician, you have an idea that could help.

I would agree that all new vehicles should have them...even "new" assembled multicabs. I think you will have to grandfather the older ones though. Yes they may be 30 years old but they will probably be on the roads another 20 years. One of my concerns is it's difficult to keep mirrors and the spark plug wire on a motorcycle from being stolen. If every vehicle had a cam....

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Sander Martin said:

I agree Bob on most you say, but the 1 or 2am ban wont stop alcoholism. First of all these guys dont drink in bars anyway.

I think is a major point.  In the US we have drinking hours, but the real drunks usually have enough alcohol at the house it does not matter if the bars are open or not. It is cheaper to drink at home anyway.  What is supposedly helps though, is drunks being out on the streets - so it cuts down on fights a bit, and hopefully cuts back on drunk driving. I have seen no statistics to prove it it...  Maybe we will see how it works here.

What I find funny is that he claims to be such a law & order politician but the published crime statistics paint a completely different picture. With a population about the same as Iloilo, Davao has the crime numbers to rival Manila.   So good luck to him - but I expect no major changes.  :tiphat:

• Like 2

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I think is a major point.  In the US we have drinking hours, but the real drunks usually have enough alcohol at the house it does not matter if the bars are open or not. It is cheaper to drink at home anyway.  What is supposedly helps though, is drunks being out on the streets - so it cuts down on fights a bit, and hopefully cuts back on drunk driving. I have seen no statistics to prove it it...  Maybe we will see how it works here.

What I find funny is that he claims to be such a law & order politician but the published crime statistics paint a completely different picture. With a population about the same as Iloilo, Davao has the crime numbers to rival Manila.   So good luck to him - but I expect no major changes.  :tiphat:

The crime statistics is a very shady one, it pops out in the midst election, and the time when Duterte was ranking first in surveys. not to mention that the DILG awarded him last year for good governance. Another funny thing is the Grace Poe issue, lol!

BBbbuttt its PH election were talking about here, We are known for having a clean and honest election, no corruption, no black propaganda, no vote buying, no killings etc. so I guess the crime statistic is legit? :bonk:

/S

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Well said Bob, I totally agree. He does not even get the job for another month or so and still the swords are coming out Could it be that some of the high flyers are worried they might have to pay their share? I think we should all take a breath and see what develops, but I don;t seem to be getting much support other than you - too many members pressing the panic button IMO.

• Like 1