New President

canadamale
Posted
Posted

when I was a teenager the government liquor store was closed sunday and monday and open 10 to 5 tues, wed, fri, till 8 on Thursday. there was one store for a town of 3000. At all other hour you called the local taxi co. and you could order what ever you wanted as long as it was 5 star whiskey or Molson Canadian beer. Now in the city I live in there is 24hr liquor stores all privately owned. I believe a much better system. I drink the most maybe 12 beer a month and like the fact in PH I can go to the mini mart down the street and buy a san mig any time I want.  yes I can agree with your comment of not liking loud music especially the pop music so loved in the PH. I just do not like the idea of government telling me how to live my life, not unlike the Filipinos I have met. I do not believe you can legislate laws to improve human behavior. Are you going to call the police every time your neighbors play karaoke louder than you like?? how about the dogs and roosters and motors screaming and kids and basketballs. It is best to find a neighborhood which meets your wants not try to legislate it into being. Curfews may keep the kids in whose parents do not let them roam all hours of the night anyway but that is all. what about all the women and kids living on the streets of the cities here. Will the police round them all up and put them in detention? fine the parents?? There are some barangays here in Makati who already have curfews for under 16 and it does help. I am not against these laws I only think it is better left to the more local governments to implement if they feel they is a need. Not a blanket law laid down from the Palace

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, canadamale said:

I am not against these laws I only think it is better left to the more local governments to implement if they feel they is a need. Not a blanket law laid down from the Palace

It depends on the law.  Curfews maybe.  Other things like seat belt laws are better nationally.  In either case, without enforcement, neither works.

When I was young and dumb, I used to hate all those laws that seemed to infringe on my personal right to choose.  As I became older and less dumb, I realized that some people stay the same dumb even when they grow older.  That is why I now believe in some laws such as seat belt laws.  I got tired of paying for the dummies hospital bills when they go flying out the windows!

17 minutes ago, canadamale said:

It is best to find a neighborhood which meets your wants not try to legislate it into being.

If there were no laws / rules, would there be any neighborhoods that meet my needs?  I doubt it.  Here in Subic Freeport we have a lot of rules, very loosely enforced, but at least they are there as a baseline.

• Like 4

canadamale
Posted
Posted

in 6 weeks and I will be back in the Philippines, loud music, crazy traffic, crowded jeepneys, beggers,  no sidewalks, roosters , dogs wandering around, and I will still be happy because to me that is the Philippines. People out and about at all hours. I always wonder where are all these people going. I miss the feel and the smells, the ambiance of the people. aaaaarg I think I am homesick haha. I do not usually go out late and all the kids I know play within site of the front door, and school nights, starting soon, will be in bed early.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:89: You know something, Once again, My Daughter (17) has hit it on the head. "DAD" she said, these things will always bother you IF you let them :shades:

Jack:huh:

Morning All:morning1:

• Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, canadamale said:

When I was young and dumb, I used to hate all those laws that seemed to infringe on my personal right to choose.  As I became older and less dumb, I realized that some people stay the same dumb even when they grow older.  That is why I now believe in some laws such as seat belt laws.  I got tired of paying for the dummies hospital bills when they go flying out the windows

aaarg that is the quote I wanted, less dumb or just older, I believe there is a place for laws that are country wide laws, gun laws, laws against violent crime, property crime, I do not believe the government needs to legislate when I can go to the corner bar for a beer, or how loud my neighbor can play his music. Here in the PH I see kids hanging off the back of jeepneys welders welding in flipflops and no gloves and only sunglasses. Men riding on top of the garbage trucks  3,4 or 5 people on a motor, this is not Canada and I do not expect it too be. yes they are all things I find troubling, but I will not let it bother me. This is the Philippines, I do not believe I want it too change. If the Filipino people want it too change I am sure they will change it. Maybe that is why they voted in the current president. i do not want to loose the feeling of personal freedom I find in the PH

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, canadamale said:

welders welding in flipflops and no gloves and only sunglasses.

Yes, but they are Raybans that they paid p50 for!

It takes many years and even generations for people, countries and societies to change.  I remember when some of the things we think are stupid here in PH were commonplace in the U.S. 50 years ago.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted

In Canada also, evan less than 50 maybe 30 years. I just finished a supervisor course for the company I work for, due diligence protecting myself and the company not safety for the worker was the focus.  The safety rules are bypassed/looked over until some one is hurt and then if I have done my due diligence as a supervisor the company and I are safe and the worker is hung out to fry. With all the labour laws we have this is still the reality. I am not sure what this has to do with this topic, except to maybe that passing all these laws does not always produce the results we believe or would like to have happen.   

mogo51
Posted
Posted

A good response, I am sure canadamale would have a different view if he was on the wrong end of any of this type of behaviour.  

Common sense and regard for others, is fundamental for cohesive living.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

One of the main reasons I left Oz is because it is a 'nanny' state to the extreme.

I doubt anyone here is advocating Phils goes to that level, but we are talking about basic common respect and decency for the lives of neighbours etc.  If you want to play your music loud, shut all  the door and windows, helps amplify the music but keeps the outside level down.

Roosters, chop off their heads and cook them!!  Karaoke see above! etc.

Common sense, but as they say, it is not very common.