New President

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

If you have not had enough by 2am or 3am,  you never will IMO.

Ron! As I said in an earlier Post, it depends what time you go out. Some peoples lives revolve around really Odd start and Finish times for work. Are they not entitled (For want of a better word) to some relaxation after a shift.

Jack:smile:

Morning All:morning1:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Ron! As I said in an earlier Post, it depends what time you go out. Some peoples lives revolve around really Odd start and Finish times for work. Are they not entitled (For want of a better word) to some relaxation after a shift.

Jack:smile:

Morning All:morning1:

That's exactly right Jack for example several years back now here in Aus many supermarkets are open 24 hours to cater for the changing times. In the Phils you have more and more call centers as an example so work hours are flexible. Also in the Phils when some girly bars close the girls go out with friends as they are night workers and thats their time to do their thing.

Personally I see the normal 5am close time as not the problem in life, people can make bad choices at any time, one could be drunk at midday if they want and make a bad choice then.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

If the government wants to limit alcohol consumption, then maybe they should start with all the outdoor ads. Theres a huge Tanduay ad on almost every second store on the street..

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

If the government wants to limit alcohol consumption, then maybe they should start with all the outdoor ads. Theres a huge Tanduay ad on almost every second store on the street..

Alcohol and cigarettes are the only ads I see ha ha... They can't stop those or advertising agencies will go out of business :tiphat:

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Cigarette ads have been banned in Oz for many years, there are still heaps that smoke for some reason.  Alcohol ads are also severely restricted but they still sell heaps!

Re 'shift workers', was one myself for many years, the last thing I wanted to do when coming off night shift or afternoon shift was to get on the drink.  Just wanted to get some sleep - but to each their own.

However, these people are in a minority and the trouble does not, I would suggest, come from these types of people.

You are missing the point IMO.  The problem is persistent binge drinking and its unsavoury consequences - which I have seen first hand.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2016 at 11:46 PM, markpa said:

With Duarte now the new President, and he vowing to be a Dictator, how does that do with safety for expat's? Is all of that just saber rattling. But with his Death Squads in Daveo  or at least the hint that.s true. Do you see a coup coming? Or more such truth of Death Squads the bigger cities too. Just wondering. Thanks.Mark

World | Wed Jun 1, 2016 5:03am EDT Reuters

Related: WORLD
Philippines' Duterte denounced for defending killing of some journalists
Philippine press groups denounced President-elect Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday for saying journalists were being killed because they were corrupt and "you are not exempted from assassination if you are a son of a bitch".

Duterte's comments about extrajudicial killings, calling bishops "sons of whores" and a joke about a murdered rape victim do not appear to have dented his popularity in the largely Roman Catholic country.

But his comments about killing journalists have struck a nerve. About 175 journalists have been killed in the Philippines since 1986, ranking it among the most dangerous places to work in the news business.

Duterte addressed reporters on Tuesday in the southern city of Davao, where his loud approval of hundreds of execution-style killings of drug users and criminals over nearly two decades helped propel him to the highest office.

"Most of your are clean, but do not ever say all journalists are clean," he said. "Just because you are a journalist, you are not exempted from assassination if you are a son of a bitch."

"... Most of those killed, to be frank, have done something. You won't be killed if you don't do anything wrong."

When a female journalist asked a question, he wolf-whistled at her.

Ryan Rosuaro, head of the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines, said press freedom and murder were not joking matters.

"It is appalling that President-elect Rodrigo Duterte should justify the murder of journalists in the country by playing the corruption card," he said.

Philippine Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma said journalists had a fundamental right to protection.

"We deplore the proposition that some journalists may have been assaulted or killed in view of their alleged involvement in media corruption," he said in a statement. "It is the duty of government to arrest, prosecute and punish those responsible for violence against members of the media."

Romel Regalado Bagares, executive director of the Center for International Law, said Duterte's comments showed "a cynical attitude towards what is a serious concern to the international community" and could perpetuate impunity for the killers.

The Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines also expressed alarm.

"Duterte's statement is a chilling reminder that journalists in the Philippines continue to live under threat, decades after (the association) was founded to fight for press freedom at the height of Ferdinand Marcos's dictatorship," it said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-philippines-politics-journalists-idUSKCN0YN3TK

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
post as plain text please

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Old55 said:

"It is appalling that President-elect Rodrigo Duterte should justify the murder of journalists in the country by playing the corruption card," he said.

"We deplore the proposition that some journalists may have been assaulted or killed in view of their alleged involvement in media corruption," he said in a statement. "It is the duty of government to arrest, prosecute and punish those responsible for violence against members of the media."

(Quoting full article could be challenging copyrights)

I read everything I could find about this, even the pro-dirty-harry press. The "out of context" explanation did nothing to change what he really is saying.

I do not like it. At all.

Will talk with the family here, but they probably will not see the difference between shooting robbers and shooting reporters.

This put things in a whole new perspective, and I will be preparing my leave.

Edited by MikeSwede
  • Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Hi Mike,

I doubt you are going to get a job in journalism and you should not be concernedIMO.

It might not be a good thing to say, but the people all knew what he was like but they still voted for him.  

I again suggest as before, wait and see!

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

It might actually improve the quality of the reporting. I haven't heard 5W reporting in a long time, who, what, when, where and why.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, mogo51 said:

The problem is persistent binge drinking and its unsavoury consequences - which I have seen first hand.

Anyone that wants to get wasted will get wasted. It doesn't matter on what time the bars or shops close/stop selling booz. Believe me, people like that have plenty of supply at home/they will just start early.

In Finland you can only buy booz from one chain of goverment owned shops that have a very limited opening hours. Finnish people still drink huge ammounts of booz (their vodka turism to Estonia is why Estonians think we are constantly ranking 1-5 in the world for alcohol consumption per person - tho we drink alot aswell). Most people have a large stock of booz at their home. Alot of them take daily boat cruises to Estonia for cheaper booz (the Finnish goverment run ALKO shop isn't cheap). Take a boat from Tallinn to Helsinki and you will see what real vodka turism is... Most people have atleast 4-5+ boxes of beer/cider (24 cans in a box) + a atleast a few liters of hard stuff... and thats the people going without cars. People with cars have alot more. My father had a friend in northern Finland and their group of friends would send two guys 800km to Helsinki and over the baltic sea to Tallinn ever 2-3 months with a Toyota Hiace van. Those guys would bring back 50+ boxes of beer/cider and tens of liters of hard stuff ?. I guess the short shop hours in Finland didn't work for those guys.

Ads dont work for alcoholics anyways, but seeing famous celebrities with booz bottles on every second shop might influence the younger generation.

• Like 2