New President

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Hi Mike,

I doubt you are going to get a job in journalism and you should not be concernedIMO.

Paraphrasing a famous quote: . . . . . .then they came for the journalists, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a journalist... When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out. Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller (14 January 1892 – 6 March 1984) was a Protestant pastor and social activist.

4 hours ago, MikeSwede said:

I will be preparing my leave.

I understand. I am also 'planning'.  This does not mean I am leaving.  It means I am preparing to leave quickly if this situation goes bad.

• Like 4

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Paraphrasing a famous quote: . . . . . .then they came for the journalists, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a journalist... When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out. Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller (14 January 1892 – 6 March 1984) was a Protestant pastor and social activist.

I understand. I am also 'planning'.  This does not mean I am leaving.  It means I am preparing to leave quickly if this situation goes bad.

Yes, spot on. I will have everything ready down to the tooth-brush.

In my little world, openly supporting crossing that line, made up of news-people, medics and humanitarian care, I take it as a severe breach of civil security. More so, when we are talking about someone with a track record.

It is one huge leap closer to Ir*n, Ch*na and Vene*uela, in sense of govs respect for the free speach and civil comfort.

I have been here before, and this time it is not a tag line guys.

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, robert k said:

It might actually improve the quality of the reporting. I haven't heard 5W reporting in a long time, who, what, when, where and why.

:89:Improves so much more with the first 4.  If I can't figure out the last W must not be that much of a concern to me.  Just another opinion which should be labeled as such...not news :SugarwareZ-004:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

:89:Improves so much more with the first 4.  If I can't figure out the last W must not be that much of a concern to me.  Just another opinion which should be labeled as such...not news :SugarwareZ-004:

True, the first 4 W's are all that should be allowed in a history book. I think there may be something to someone digesting a complicated scientific why and reporting it with accreditation to the source of the why.

Without the accreditation to an expert, the why can become an unlabeled opinion editorial piece, which to me is as good as a lie. I think the people who write such "news" to push an agenda agree with me and might start worrying if they are earning the title of SOB which would open the door to possible dire consequences.

I don't have so much sympathy that I will waste a lot of it on people with such self inflicted problems. In those immortal words "don't start none, there won't be none". A little self honesty would serve these people well. They need to admit to themselves that they don't want to be shot for telling lies that advance their political agenda. I think they are asking for the protected right to lie and I'm ok with not extending that privilege to them.

As far as I know nobody has provided credible proof of death squads in the Philippines although the reporters have been reporting them. I think first the reporters should provide credible evidence of the non-existent death squads that they are being threatened with or really they have no gripe coming if the president elect enjoys a little joke about the reporters own construct. If there is evidence of death squads, the reporters had better do their jobs and report it. Problem solved.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Improves so much more with the first 4.  If I can't figure out the last W must not be that much of a concern to me.

Which one are you missing?  Who What Where When Why and sometimes How

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Which one are you missing?  Who What Where When Why and sometimes How

How is okay, why makes it an editorial not news.  i.e.  Last night, Bob out with some friends at a local Pub spotted his wife performing a lewd act under the table of a young man. Bob hit the man with a chair.  He was arrested on the charge of breaking furniture the young man was treated and release @......

Why is not the news...just because the man didn't leave the $2 it is not our concern.  I mean it should be apparent to all that Bob is ready to raise prices.  See you don't need a reporter to figure this out for you.  

:nudie: 

mogo51
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Anyone that wants to get wasted will get wasted. It doesn't matter on what time the bars or shops close/stop selling booz. Believe me, people like that have plenty of supply at home/they will just start early.

In Finland you can only buy booz from one chain of goverment owned shops that have a very limited opening hours. Finnish people still drink huge ammounts of booz (their vodka turism to Estonia is why Estonians think we are constantly ranking 1-5 in the world for alcohol consumption per person - tho we drink alot aswell). Most people have a large stock of booz at their home. Alot of them take daily boat cruises to Estonia for cheaper booz (the Finnish goverment run ALKO shop isn't cheap). Take a boat from Tallinn to Helsinki and you will see what real vodka turism is... Most people have atleast 4-5+ boxes of beer/cider (24 cans in a box) + a atleast a few liters of hard stuff... and thats the people going without cars. People with cars have alot more. My father had a friend in northern Finland and their group of friends would send two guys 800km to Helsinki and over the baltic sea to Tallinn ever 2-3 months with a Toyota Hiace van. Those guys would bring back 50+ boxes of beer/cider and tens of liters of hard stuff ?. I guess the short shop hours in Finland didn't work for those guys.

Ads dont work for alcoholics anyways, but seeing famous celebrities with booz bottles on every second shop might influence the younger generation.

Which is the very reason that you make it as difficult as possible Sander.  

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
On 5/11/2016 at 7:31 PM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I do know some expats that are looking for other countries already, just in case.  Also, I have had a few locals ask me if I am leaving because of him. 

I am on a 'wait and see' mode also.  For the most part I don't think it will matter who's backside warms the throne. At our level what really changes?  As long we keep a good exchange rate for the money, and they don't go all anti-foreigner, I don't foresee any real issues.

I don't care for his curfew idea for kids - I see curfews as a lazy way to be authoritarian.  I do like the noise pollution ban idea, and the no alcohol after 1 AM is not bad either.  A lot of countries have alcohol hours.   :tiphat:

I'm watching pretty carefully to see what Duterte does but I generally would agree that not much should change for expats.  I doubt his presidency or policies (unless they are totally xenophobic) will have any impact on my wife's or my decision to retire to the Philippines in 2020.  It will be interesting to watch though and like so many others I really hope he cuts down on the crime and corruption.

• Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted

it will be a few more years before I will live full time in PH, so things may change significantly before I get there. I do not believe the federal  government should tell me when I can drink or how loud and when I can play my music, nor when and where my children can be out. if the city or town and barangay council wish to make local laws so be it. if I do not like I can move to another local. if Duterte can prevent some corruption and find some funds to increase the pay of  the public service, police, teachers, fireman, armed forces, low level bureaucrats etc. That will be good. Maybe he can bring some stability  and prosperity to Mindanao. Maybe he will pass a law allowing Canadians to purchase land haha. 6 years I should be living there full time before then. Duterte has a very large task in front of him if expects to stop/slow the corruption and old friend system of the church and back room politics. Long Live The Republic. If Duterte can make the Philippines a better place for this young man then I am all for him

12920359_572768492905327_6108375835067408025_n.jpg