EU referendum

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

I know some Dutch,German and French people who feel exactly the same way as the people who voted to leave. They don`t like Brussels telling them what to do and what shape a cucumber has to be. This unchecked refugee crisis is making a lot of people angry all over Europe I think we might see many more countries leave.

Germany told the economic refugees to come and then passed on the ones they didn't want. I think all the EU countries should just send them all to Germany or Belgium after all the money comes from one purse? It shouldn't matter where they live? I favor Belgium because they say they have to be let in? Let Belgium house them. I know they already have some, but maybe more is better? Besides, the refugees might benefit even more being close to the source of EU greatness? Let Belgium show the proper way to deal with refugees because obviously everyone else is doing it wrong.

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Breaking news is that yet another leader of the Leave Campaign has announced his resignation from his Leadership of Ukip.Nigel Farage.

I'm sure by now many Expats are a little tired of this Topic but more unfolds each day for those still here (UK)

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Breaking news is that yet another leader of the Leave Campaign has announced his resignation from his Leadership of Ukip.Nigel Farage.

I'm sure by now many Expats are a little tired of this Topic but more unfolds each day for those still here (UK)

Cant get tired of this John, its our future no matter where we may all end up,

Have you read the latest , latest news coming out,

It seems our government is refusing to guarantee any foreign union nationals already in the UK will be allowed to stay here,

I think this is a great thing, what you have to consider here is all the British workers in other parts of the EU, many of us has seen the threats from other countries about the silly British people and lets punish them, well  i say lets wait and see what they do to these folk before we say yes you are welcome to stay here, lets just hope there is no rush from us to hurry things along

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I agree with your assessment Kev, spoken to a number of Europeans and they have expressed the same views about EU, plus the fact they are not elected but Appointed!

I don't think UK has anything to worry about, they have many options for Trade ie Commonwealth countries.

Mike Swede - I think you are being somewhat unkind to UK calling it 'has been'.  If that is the case, what does that make many of the EU members, including Spain when considering their current financial state.

I personally think UK made the right decision.

• Like 1

HikiSpray
Posted
Posted
On 2016-07-03 at 5:47 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Just as a side note.  3 of the European countries that I admire most are not part of the EU.  I refer to Iceland, Norway and Switzerland.  I hope that I can add England to that last one day soon.

But those countries are in the EEA. Doesn't Article 50 mean that the UK would be out of all agreements? If so, I have a feeling it will be a few years of financial "pain" for the UK before they can negotiate new trade agreements.

Just thinking out loud ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Economic_Area

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Mike Swede - I think you are being somewhat unkind to UK calling it 'has been'.  If that is the case, what does that make many of the EU members, including Spain when considering their current financial state.

I personally think UK made the right decision.

You mean to tell me that UK still aspire to be an empire? :mocking:

That's what the "has been" was meant for. (My English is a borrowed language, but my Swedish would certainly drive you mad. Thorry 'bout that.)

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, MikeSwede said:

but my Swedish would certainly drive you mad. Thorry 'bout that.)

:hystery: BTW for Yesterday;  

Grattis på födelsedagen  .........Happy birthday.jpg..OK OK! Sorry But I forgot Mike Yesterday  ..close the door.jpg HUH! I was just trying to be Nice for a change

OK OK! Sorry But I forgot Mike Yesterday  

• Like 3

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, robert k said:

I favor Belgium because they say they have to be let in? Let Belgium house them. I know they already have some, but maybe more is better? Besides, the refugees might benefit even more being close to the source of EU greatness? Let Belgium show the proper way to deal with refugees because obviously everyone else is doing it wrong.

Rather harsh punishing the Belgians for the follies of the Eurocrats which are foisted on them :smile:("Brussels" is news-speak for the European Commission et al, which by the way are also based in Luxemburg and Strasburg). My impression from living in Brussels for some years was that Eurocrats were doubly unpopular there because of the privileges they awarded themselves: including exemption from most taxes. (Disclaimer this is based on my experiences in the late 1980's).

However I would still have preferred the UK to remain in the EU. It is better to be inside influencing the rules than outside and having rules imposed on you. Once you have climbed on the tiger getting off may not be a sensible option. And, from a purely selfish point of view, I have just seen my Sterling savings and pensions take a massive hit.

Anyway this too will pass:56da64aa52228_23_9_101:

Edited by not so old china hand
spelling and clarificatin
  • Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

The downturn in the Sterling will only be a blimp on the radar as I see it. Things will return to 'normal' whatever that means.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, not so old china hand said:

It is better to be inside influencing the rules than outside and having rules imposed on you

Yes it would be.  But I don't know what EU rules England was able to influence in their favor and what EU rules are now going to imposed on them that they no longer have a say in.  Can you enlighten me with examples?

• Like 1