EU referendum

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Steve right now thousands of people are in London for a "March for Europe" rally.

They certainly don't agree with the way the Referendum was held, the way politicians lied and

mislead people on both sides. One thing is sure, if there was to be another referendum ( I don't think there will be)

My money would be on a vote to remain.

This referendum does not have to be implemented, although it would be a very strong decision whoever becomes the next

Prime Minister.

(Over 4 million people have signed the petition for a 2nd referendum, which was started by a chap who thought the vote might just go the other way to remain!):shades:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Steve right now thousands of people are in London for a "March for Europe" rally.

They certainly don't agree with the way the Referendum was held, the way politicians lied and

mislead people on both sides. One thing is sure, if there was to be another referendum ( I don't think there will be)

My money would be on a vote to remain.

This referendum does not have to be implemented, although it would be a very strong decision whoever becomes the next

Prime Minister.

(Over 4 million people have signed the petition for a 2nd referendum, which was started by a chap who thought the vote might just go the other way to remain!):shades:

Some people may be naïve enough to believe that holding another vote and voting the other way this time will put everything back like they were before. That is the one thing I would be sure would not happen.

I personally believe there could be another crash if a second vote were held and the vote was remain. What caused the crash in the first place? Uncertainty.

Dithering and going the other way right now will increase certainty? Or will people, corporations are artificial persons, wonder if there will be a third vote? Fourth vote?

Will Scotland vote to become independent no matter if there was a new vote and it was remain?

Sometimes uncertainty is worse than bad news.

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, robert k said:

Some people may be naïve enough to believe that holding another vote and voting the other way this time will put everything back like they were before. That is the one thing I would be sure would not happen.

I personally believe there could be another crash if a second vote were held and the vote was remain. What caused the crash in the first place? Uncertainty.

Dithering and going the other way right now will increase certainty? Or will people, corporations are artificial persons, wonder if there will be a third vote? Fourth vote?

Will Scotland vote to become independent no matter if there was a new vote and it was remain?

Sometimes uncertainty is worse than bad news.

There is a precedent - the Irish Government held a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty (the EU's "Constitution", which includes the now famous Article 50) and the Irish people rejected it. The Irish Government went back and negotiated amendments and put the revised Treaty to a second referendum, which it passed. Walang crash!

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Methersgate said:

There is a precedent - the Irish Government held a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty (the EU's "Constitution", which includes the now famous Article 50) and the Irish people rejected it. The Irish Government went back and negotiated amendments and put the revised Treaty to a second referendum, which it passed. Walang crash!

Was there a crash after the first Irish referendum? If there wasn't a crash after the first, I wouldn't expect a crash after the second?

On the other hand, had there been a crash after the first (exit), I would consider a crash after the second likely.

And even a second vote which favors Remain will not magically put things back where they were.

Edited by robert k

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

Was there a crash after the first Irish referendum? If there wasn't a crash after the first, I wouldn't expect a crash after the second?

On the other hand, had there been a crash after the first (exit), I would consider a crash after the second likely.

And even a second vote which favors Remain will not magically put things back where they were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-eighth_Amendment_of_the_Constitution_Bill_2008_(Ireland)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Methersgate said:

the Irish Government held a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty

Well you know them Irish, ya gotta go back and give them referendum after referendum until they get the right answer.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Everyone taking a remain stand, is mostly talking about a crash and short term events. In the long run the UK may be forced to re find its identity and values and get back in as a real country again... First to go must be all those 'elth and safety counsels~! The 'nanny state' is a well descriptive title. The British Empire was built by Brits will and manpower. If this current mentality had of existed 500 years ago, there would be no OZ or America or any world colonization as it was. The modern civilizations owe a debt to those Brits for providing the values and basis of today's world... up to the sad post WWII days of decline. Under the EU, there are 21 regulations JUST to make a tooth brush! Can you imagine what the number of regulations there would be for a British Man O War just to be built. To be staffed and explore the world? It simply could not be done.     

Soros is repeatedly on the news talking about a crash and showing no interest in anyone's future or anything but his own wealth. The Brexit is just a new starting point with exciting possibilities. Think positive!  

• Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, robert k said:

8 hours ago, Methersgate said:

I didn't see any mention of a crash in In Ireland, or anywhere else in the Wiki article. I still say if there was a crash because of uncertainty after the first Brexit vote there is likely to be another crash because of uncertainty after a second vote.

And as always, the crash will not be magically undone by a new vote in favor of remain.

Also, the petition is likely made up of people who voted remain anyway, I doubt they are all swing voters and they would have to be mostly swing voters to change the outcome.

Besides, to paraphrase, the people who voted exit are all Hitler. I wonder who would intimate such a thing?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, robert k said:

Also, the petition is likely made up of people who voted remain anyway, I doubt they are all swing voters and they would have to be mostly swing voters to change the outcome.

Robert, call them swing voters if you wish, but now the real consequences of leaving are are being revealed, there are plenty of "Swingers"

wishing  they had had the facts presented properly before the referendum.

Just like the Yorkshire puddings in another Topic. :thumbsup:  The UK will rise again once more, but it will need careful planning and a strong Government, which we don't have right now.

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

I will agree that dithering at this point will not help. In or out there needs to be a commitment so Britain can "get on with it".

• Like 4