EU referendum

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well for me right or wrong, it is now getting  too Political, Time to Regroup and use our common sense that is usually lacking

having said that, Britain will I fear loose the Unity it once had and was Proud of, "United we Stand, Divided we Fall"

That can work all round, UK and EU. Don't matter who is to Blame. the stable door is shut and the Horse has bolted.

Next Issue Please :Yes:?

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Britain will I fear loose the Unity it once had and was Proud of, "United we Stand, Divided we Fall"

I used to believe that and I still think its a great quote in some instances, just not this instance.

Over the decades I have watched American politics from across the border and noticed that so many of the elections are extremely close, and yet they survive and thrive.  When there is a vote of 52 to 48 then the minority seem to realize that they lost that one so its time to regroup and try to win the next one.  I don't recall seeing such crybaby tactics as it seems the Brits are doing.  If Britain falls, its not because they are divided, its because it has become a nation of poor losers.

The decision is made.  Time to get 'er dun!

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The decision is made.  Time to get 'er dun!

So you are behind Larry the Cable Guy for PM?

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Benington said:

Oh Vp, I  think you have spent the last day thinking of something else to spoil the party, after your claim that Merseysider's were true Remainers, voting on the question on the ballot paper, when many of the 57% of the voters there either wanted to give the Tories leading Leave a kicking, or were pushing a united Ireland agenda. On the view of Merseysiders I recommend you listen to a caller from Liverpool on the Stephen Nolan show on BBC R5 last Friday night, coming in the later stages of the programme, and supporting your view. Some of what he said was almost completely unintelligible, but the gist was clear - I voted Remain to give the Leave Tories a kicking.

I respect Manchester's Remain vote, not much Merseyside's. But the Gerordies got it most right in the North of England.

Boris Johnson looked serious and contemplative - not downbeat. Did you see the pictures of Trump in Scotland and the change in him, once he secured the Republican Party nomination? A similar look and more serious than before. Boris has to fight a leadership campaign - not everyone likes him in the Tory party and there is a chance of them going for another Brexiteer. Don't be fixated on Boris. Like Farage he played a useful part in getting the Leave decision - but normal politics will now be in play.

Article 50 has been described as a stopwatch. Once started the clock runs down so it's not sensible to start it until people with authority are in place with firm ideas about our negotiating position. The EU are trying to hurry (more bullying?) the UK up because they want to scare other countries from following our example. But it is our choice when we trigger Article 50 -  although we shouldn't go out of our way to annoy the 27 EU members by dragging it out too long.

Did you see that the 6 Foreign Ministers, again, asked, or perhaps hinted, that a country (the UK) should do it's homework again and get the right answer?

Cameron's threat to trigger Article 50 immediately was just one more of his bluffs and threats, and another reason for me why he is now greatly discredited as a politician. He hasn't done anything clever, as you are arguing. He's just a loser. But at least he resigned - all his bullying Chancellor can do is tweet.

All those issues you list will need to be confronted and addressed in time - but sterling will recover, to an appropriate level - that's what a floating currency does. The deal on access to the Single Market is going to be the subject of hard negotiations - but the EU and UK are used to that - and Merkel wants a fair not punitive deal.

If the Scots want to leave, then fine! But there's a big difference now from 2014, as we are heading out. (Vp: nobody will dare not do that now we have had a referendum. There will be riots in the streets and maybe worse). Border posts on the A1? Border wire across Hadrian's Wall? Sturgeon is talking tough now, but deep down she knows it won't be easy. If it comes to it many people in Britain will be happy to see the back of Scotland. I'm moving towards that view, but not totally there yet.

The Irish border is a more immediate issue and there is a difficulty there. As before, we have to stand up to the Spanish on Gibraltar. Some bank operations and even bankers will go. There will be a hit on the economy. All to be sorted out in time.

But getting back freedom is always worth the sacrifice  - especially, as many times before in our history, there was the prospect of inexorably losing more and more.

I'm not thinking of anything new to spoil any party. I just posted that that was an interesting take on it. Where does it state that they are my views.

Your problem is that you like to stereotype people, like Merseyside voters don't deserve respect because they don't agree with your Little Englander views. Oh and not forgetting that they are all Irish of course and they steal the wheels off every car! Maybe you cannot understand their reasoning because you have never been at the blunt end of successive Tory governments, and the right wing press, trying to destroy everything they stand for! 

I stand by my original post because it is my opinion to which I'm entitled, as are you and everybody else.

This is my last word on this because it's all getting a bit boring now. I have my retirement to enjoy, I would be happy if you keep your opinions about how and where I spend it to yourself, seeing that it is none of your business.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Here is an interesting op-ed from a retired MI6 Chief http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3506991/UK-safer-Europe-says-former-MI6-chief-Sir-Richard-Dearlove-suggests-Brexit-make-easier-deport-terrorists.html not sure if it is true or not.

I have discussed this at length with my UK friends and it boils down to the con of joining the EU and now having to follow leaders that weren't ever elected by the people. My friends say that the EU has been slowly positioning to become an all encompassing state with it's own Military, Security, Intelligence forces, etc. along with EU regulations.

In my opinion, the EU has lost control and cannot guarantee security of their union. This will have huge ramifications from all of the free loaders residing there.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If Britain falls, its not because they are divided, its because it has become a nation of poor losers.

AH! I see so you would not be a poor loser if as could happen, loose  Property and a Bank Balance. For me I will be a very Sore loser. Easy to say when one is on the outside looking in Young man :huh: but you are right it is time to move on as some of us have our own Agenda to see to.:smile:

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Steve, the good news is, you are moving to Philippines next year and it won't matter to you.

Again, there is extremism chocking the British press following the result.  Just like Duterte, it is wait and see time.

My view is that Britian has faced far bigger challenges than this will present.

You are right there mogo, i will be keeping my head down saving hard but while i am here i will still have a voice

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well for me right or wrong, it is now getting  too Political, Time to Regroup and use our common sense that is usually lacking

having said that, Britain will I fear loose the Unity it once had and was Proud of, "United we Stand, Divided we Fall"

That can work all round, UK and EU. Don't matter who is to Blame. the stable door is shut and the Horse has bolted.

Next Issue Please :Yes:?

Everyone over here keeps mentioning little Britain and somehow i dont think they are on about the tv show, 

But could little Britain be on the other side of the world, a little street in Marikina with a flag fluttering in the wind , now thats a thought, where is the best place to buy yorkshire tea??? anyone

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

For me I will be a very Sore loser. Easy to say when one is on the outside looking in Young man

I am sorry for your perceived loss, my friend (perceived because you haven't actually lost anything yet I think).  When I lost millions of pesos in Philippine investments I got a lot of "you should have known better" from others.  I moved on and joke about it now.  At least you have the potential to set this straight.  I sincerely hope that works for you.  I have the greatest confidence that you will sort this setback out with the minimum of financial loss.

• Like 4