EU referendum

Benington
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Peace man but we did Not do it on our Own, We had an awful Lot of help from Europe. This Eu thing goes way Deeper than many can Remember or are too Young to Understand. A wasted 50 Years in my Book to just Discard it.  

An awful lot of help from where exactly Jack? From Europe? Quite minor compared with the US, surely? The Russians did a bit too, eh?

If you have an old car that fails an MOT type test, needs almost the price of a new car to get it back on the road, isn't it best to scrap it? 

Problem is the EU morphed out of the EEC or Common Market. Luckily, enough old codgers without Alzheimer's could compare the EEC with the EU now and could see it was no longer fit for purpose, with its over-expanded attempt to become a state, They helped greatly in the Brexit vote. Being conned by all those leaflets in the Post Office in 1975  rankled many, including me, I am sure.

Despite her opposition Thatcher didn't get us out in the 1980s. Contented herself with a rebate. We should have got out in 1992 when Major signed us up to the Maastricht Treaty. We crashed out of the ERM later that year. Major irked me greatly playing the elder statesman role at the end of the EU referendum campaign.  At least Brown saved us from Blair's enthusiasm to join the Euro. Other opt outs followed eg Schengen. But the EUs general expansion was enough to finally force the issue on the 23rd June, with the accidental help of Cameron, who has shot himself in the foot - or even higher up!

We're getting out, slowly, but they're not discarding it yet - it will be still be there for us to observe its slow death throes over the coming years. It won't be a pretty sight.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

13 minutes ago, Benington said:

An awful lot of help from where exactly Jack? From Europe? Quite minor compared with the US, surely? The Russians did a bit too, eh?

I take you Point but we are not talking US here or Russia For that matter although I daresay some idiot will Suggest inviting them to Join  the EU if we really do Go, ( Stranger Things have Happened.) No I was Answering a Post that 2 Wars did not kill off the UK and I was pointing out that we would never have done it without the eminence Help we Did Have, Never Ever Forgetting the US and the Other Larger Countries that did more than was ever expected of them at all, I was saying we needed Europe then, Malta, Cyprus, Greece. Poland and others. Anyway  The deal is done now and we have to live by it, No matter who failed before, it is NOW we need to be worried about.

I am an In person because of My 20+ years with European  Holdings and my Time and effort to provide for my Old Age, so you see all this Hype and what is good for just the UK just is not going to hold to well with me if I start to loose what I worked very Hard for. Maybe other can/will see it their own Way but I built My Future for Retirement on Europe.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I am an In person because of My 20+ years with European  Holdings and my Time and effort to provide for my Old Age, so you see all this Hype and what is good for just the UK just is not going to hold to well with me if I start to loose what I worked very Hard for. Maybe other can/will see it their own Way but I built My Future for Retirement on Europe.

I do hope everything works out fine for you Jack,

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted

Some idiots did actually propose Ukraine should start the joining process!

Anyway, it's good Jack you're not just being sentimental about Britain's membership years. Unfortunately the EU and the Euro weren't designed to be easy to resign from, so you have good reason to be concerned.

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Democracy comes at a price

A lot has been said since the result, with stronger Political knowledge being share here than I possess.

Disappointed as I am over the result, I am willing to settle for a United Kingdom, because right now all  I see is not the dismantling of the EU, but the dismantling of the UK!

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

yes you may say the £ can go down against other currencies and as we all know it has, but it will go up again,

Before you retire in another country you need to realize that history says this is unlikely to be the trend.  For example, here is 50 year chart comparing the GBP against the US$ and it shows a steady decline.  Its hard to compare against more volatile currencies like the PHP but be prepared for a steady downward trend if you plan to retire here.

50 years.png

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Before you retire in another country you need to realize that history says this is unlikely to be the trend.  For example, here is 50 year chart comparing the GBP against the US$ and it shows a steady decline.  Its hard to compare against more volatile currencies like the PHP but be prepared for a steady downward trend if you plan to retire here.

50 years.png

You are right Dave , that is why i am working longer then i would have liked, each month we are here working means more cash for the just incase,

Yes the plan was to stay here till next April, but that can change if it has too, i just want to make sure we have more then enough for what we would like to do.

It would be nice to have some sort of income coming in from where we live at the time and apartments still seems ok, but we are not there yet so lets wait and see what happens these next few months , may win the lotto by then ,

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

It seems there is a movement gaining ground for a recount, looks like those who did not like the result are looking for something, i wonder how many recounts we would need for them to say,OK lets work together to make a better future for us all , i also wonder if that is what people are wanting really .

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

50 years.png

Brits are Brits we don`t get told too easily what to do wether the exit is right or wrong we will come through

• Like 5