EU referendum

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bows00 said:

So can someone explain why US currency went up to $46.97 P per dollar?   Or why the Japanese Yen went up? 

Flight to safety.  The dollar is still a safe haven during turmoil so it was up strongly when the news first hit.  Vs. the dollar, most currencies recovered a bit by noon and stabilized.  The exception was the Yen, where it was the opposite against the dollar.  Up strongly in the AM and then stabilized at a lower level.  I don't follow the yen but here is some info:

http://community.xe.com/blog/xe-market-analysis/xe-market-analysis-asia-jun-24-2016

U.S. Treasury Bonds were up as well, as they are also a safe haven investment.  Interest rates fell.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

When issues such as these occur, there is always a host of predictions and varying views put forward.  UK survived long before EU came around and will continue to do so.  They are a major economic power and there is no reason for this to change IMO.

Whether the same can be said for the EU is another question.  I think it has a 'use by' date on it.

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, mogo51 said:

UK survived long before EU came around and will continue to do so.

Yes it did but then it had Coal Mines and Steel Mills & an Automobile Industry, but it all went to the EU so who needs who? We all need each other and this is something Forgotten You try and buy a British made Carpet now for a price you can afford.

OH Yes they will survive but I would have preferred to Live. Still The Brexiteers got what they want. So Out we Go.jpg Out we Go.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Two world wars couldn't destroy this country, UK will rise again,

Peace man but we did Not do it on our Own, We had an awful Lot of help from Europe. This Eu thing goes way Deeper than many can Remember or are too Young to Understand. A wasted 50 Years in my Book to just Discard it.  

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, stevewool said:

Watching the tv tonight and there was this chap from Poland, some leader of some sort, he was saying his father fought for this country in the war as a pilot , you have let him down , you have let us down, we shall never be there again if you ever need us,

Well if thats what one person thinks from another country what do others think,

All we are wanting is control, we dont want to leave but we was forced into this, was it just our money and our land that they was wanting , bully boys comes to mind well i say sod them all

Well Steve you should say to any Polish people who say they fought for us in the war that we declared war on Germany because they invaded Poland so who helped who.Yes we have been let by the EU it has taken on too many poor countries too quickly and quite frankly it cannot afford it without austerity measures which are an unfair kick in the a$$ for people who pay into the system.

• Like 4

Benington
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, virginprune said:

Note that I said ‘English voters’. Because they’re the ones who, through a combination of ignorance, xenophobia and misplaced nostalgia, allowed themselves to be seduced by the bunch of lying charlatans and their media cheerleaders that went under the banner of the ‘Leave’ campaign. Scotland and Northern Ireland clearly voted to Remain.

Let me point out that I am English and have always been proud of that. Proud, but not jingoistic.

Today, though, I am ashamed to be English. I would pass Norman Tebbitt’s cricket test with flying colours, but I don’t subscribe to the boneheaded mantra of ‘my country right or wrong’. Nor do I believe that the English are an innately superior race to whom the world owes a living because ‘we’ invented the railways and the Industrial Revolution. Patently a lot of people do, however – as you would well know if you’d heard some of the nutjob vox pops on news programmes during the referendum campaign

Well Vp, you've really nailed your colours to the mast as a first class Scouser with that post! 

Let's examine your claims here:

1. 53.4% of the English voters are ignorant, because they decided to do something you don't agree with? Lots of information in that campaign, too much maybe...not all of it accurate, some misleading..even one or two lies ...on both sides. But even if some voted on an emotional or gut feeling, that they don't like what has happened in their communities over the last few years - English bakeries being replaced by Polish Delis etc, what is wrong with that?

2. There's little xenophobia. Look at any high street with it's multiple foreign takeaways. Fish and Chip shops are difficult to find sometimes! Despite the Far Right being around still Enoch Powell's predictions of rivers of blood prediction didn't come true. Just too many EU migrants, too quickly for public services to cope and some downward effect on wages for many.

3. There is some nostalgia among the old, yes, but for most people it's all down to wanting to see a future for their families and areas, which have been neglected by the politicians for a long time. Labour has let them down  and this was also their opportunity to make a protest against the UK and EU political establishment in general, with the referendum allowing them to take a shot at the highest level of establishment - the EU.  With the advantage of votes being aggregated across the country, so their votes will count. They got a direct hit on the EU, plus brought down Cameron and probably Osbourne too.

4. I've been monitoring a lot of BBC radio and TV output over the campaign and have heard some patriotic stuff from the Leave supporters, but certainly nothing one could describe as jingoistic. Maybe there was some in the streets at rallies etc. Or in Liverpool's "favourite" newspaper, The Sun, maybe? But the constant line of the Remainers in the mainstream campaign seemed to be one completely lacking in confidence ie implying that Britain has no future without being a member of the EU. A message supported by Project Fear. Not that there wasn't some fear put out by the Leave side..there was..but much more immediate threats from Osborne and Remain..eg threats on pensions and taxes. Even Obama got in on the act!. I can forgive some of the younger Remainers for thinking that Britain would be hopeless out of the EU - although they should have asked their parents and grandparents, even if they didn't bother to watch any of the excellent BBC documentaries on the history and past conduct of the EU,EEC,Common Market etc  Is the US a member of any organisation like the EU? No - and it seems to do well.

Regarding the regional and local voting split, yes, Liverpool had 58% for Remain, but it's one of the smaller cities in the UK, under half a million people..and losing them! In the North the main bright spot for Remain was cosmopolitan Manchester on 60%. Getting more like inner London as some London institutions are now based there - including the BBC in a big way.  Also York.. but it has strong London links. Most other Northern cities and towns were 50":50 or for Leave.

I suggest the main reason for Liverpool's fairly high Remain result is the large proportion of people there who are either from the Irish Republic or who settled there in past waves of Irish emigration. They want to show their affinity with Ireland, where they are doing well out of the EU in some ways, especially with the EU bailing out their banks and Government finances. Yes Northern Ireland also voted Remain - well, the Catholics there did anyway. Their agenda is Irish unification.

I'm an admirer of Liverpool music and humour. I have just downloaded a number of Bread episodes -  brilliant!, And Liverpool FC - nearly always worth a watch.

But, if your views are typical, I would be in favour of having your city towed out west into the Irish sea to join up with the Irish Republic. That way you could be in the EU and milk it for all the projects to redevelop your former home city that you can, as the Irish do now.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, virginprune said:

The above is copied from my brother's blog that I agree wholeheartedly with!

Removed because the post is copy and paste html with images etc linked back to the blog. We do not paste html here, we can however paste as plain text without the images. If one wants to place images here then they should be uploaded to the forum. If the blog post which was posted was removed or the original site closed then we are left with a messed post.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was born in England, and yet not qualified to vote in Brexit.

Dave if you had Lived in the UK you could have and now reading this, I wonder How British the Vote was?

*Which Commonwealth citizens can vote?

Commonwealth migrants from 54 states - including ­Australia, Canada, India, Pakistan and Nigeria - could join the electoral roll as long are they are residents in the UK.*

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

Well Steve you should say to any Polish people who say they fought for us in the war that we declared war on Germany because they invaded Poland so who helped who.Yes we have been let by the EU it has taken on too many poor countries too quickly and quite frankly it cannot afford it without austerity measures which are an unfair kick in the a$$ for people who pay into the system.

This is the problem that is facing lots of us, all we are asking is to give us more rope, and thats not to hang us,

We could not go on much more with all these people wanting to come here, yes many many wanted work and many was used for cheap labour too, there was lots of people making lots of money from this cheap labour,

Are we kicking out people who are here who work here and pay in the system here , NO WE ARE NOT, we are just trying to stem the flow, are we going to stop people coming here on holiday NO, but are they going to say we cannot travel to there country unless we pay for some sort of visa, well let me tell many of you , i have paid for visas for me and Emma to travel around Europe because she was not British, its just a little extra cash , would that stop me again NO,

If you was living here full time with your children would it be different for how you think, maybe , but i live here , i work here and i see what is happening here, yes all the governments that has been in power have not help build this country but when you hear a future leader and our own leader say there is nothing we can do about the amount of people coming here while we are in the EU, well then its down to the people to do something and we was offered that chance, if it was so grave to do this well why was we offered this by our leaders ,

Times will be bad , times will be good , but are we alone , it just seems we are alone from Europe at this time

Edited by stevewool
spelling
  • Like 5