EU referendum

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Wow, you guys....lighten up...do you have any idea how much less our next Rolls will be in the State?:pow:

Ah yes, another win for the EU, or Germany at least, seems that Rolls are owned by Volkswagen:

In 1998, Vickers plc decided to sell Rolls-Royce Motors. The leading contender seemed to be BMW, who already supplied internal combustion engines and other components for Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars. Their final offer of £340m was outbid by Volkswagen Group, who offered £430m.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Ah yes, another win for the EU, or Germany at least, seems that Rolls are owned by Volkswagen:

In 1998, Vickers plc decided to sell Rolls-Royce Motors. The leading contender seemed to be BMW, who already supplied internal combustion engines and other components for Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars. Their final offer of £340m was outbid by Volkswagen Group, who offered £430m.

I had completely forgotten that, Aren't Jag and Rover Chinese owned?  What is a poor citizen to do? Having owned British and German autos before it seems England is bereft of autos.  At least I can buy American, a Mexican Ford product or Maybe a Canadian GM, since Jeep and Chrysler are now Italian.  HELLO, MAZDA  

• Like 3

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

What is a poor citizen to do?

You could always buy a Morgan. Of course you would need to be patient, there's usually a two or three-year waiting period.

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 3

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

Aren't Jag and Rover Chinese owned?

Jaguar Land Rover is officially a British company which is a subsidiary of India's Tata Group. Rover technology was bought by a Chinese automaker. However they failed to acquire rights to the brand name so the cars are sold under the name of Roewe with a badge that looks remarkably like the old Rover badge. They were more successful in acquiring the MG marque which is quite aggressively advertised here.

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

You could always buy a Morgan. Of course you would need to be patient, there's usually a two or three-year waiting period.

Didn't even know those were still made......are they suitable for a POOR citizen?:cornflakes:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I believe cars are made in Britain, I heard there was a Nissan plant. Yes Nissan corp will make money off the cars but if they are built by Brits a lot of that money will stay home in Britain. If Britain wants a wholly British car, someone should start a company to supply that need.

Just made a quick look and Brits who want to buy a car made in Britain will be limited to Mini. Honda, Toyota and Nissan if not going to the highest end and special order cars. Surely they will manage to survive with what they have on hand, somehow, possibly make deals to import anything they need and find wanting. Oh wait, that's what people do already?

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well, so far, I reckon David Cameron has been clever.

Boris Johnson has been completely discredited, is not even standing for the leadership of the Tory Party, and has been "stabbed in the back" by his henchman Michael Gove, who is standing but who won't win because he is loathed by everyone as a shifty treasonous little shxx. 

Meanwhile Theresa May, the Home Secretary, is set to take over the Conservative Party. 

Mrs May does not make mistakes or have accidents. She has been the longest serving Home Secretary since Victorian times - an office that famously destroys the careers of all who hold it. She is surrounded by her private army of sensible middle aged competent women. 

Theresa May campaigned for Remain, but half heartedly. She now says that she must obey the referendum, so she will, if (when!) elected, create a Ministry of Brexit headed by a Brexit supporting MP whose task will be to negotiate Brexit on terms that preserve access to the Single Market whilst ending freedom of movement. Since this is impossible, the attempt will destroy the career of whoever tries it... 

Meanwhile the Scottish National Party, headed by another fearsomely competent woman, says that they will call for a referendum on leaving the UK (which they will probably win) if the UK leaves the EU...

Sunderland, where the Nissan plant is located, voted Leave. Nissan cars made there are mostly sold to Europe... the work force are waking up to the knowledge that they have quite possibly voted themselves out of a job...

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Methersgate said:

Well, so far, I reckon David Cameron has been clever.

Boris Johnson has been completely discredited, is not even standing for the leadership of the Tory Party, and has been "stabbed in the back" by his henchman Michael Gove, who is standing but who won't win because he is loathed by everyone as a shifty treasonous little shxx. 

Meanwhile Theresa May, the Home Secretary, is set to take over the Conservative Party. 

Mrs May does not make mistakes or have accidents. She has been the longest serving Home Secretary since Victorian times - an office that famously destroys the careers of all who hold it. She is surrounded by her private army of sensible middle aged competent women. 

Theresa May campaigned for Remain, but half heartedly. She now says that she must obey the referendum, so she will, if (when!) elected, create a Ministry of Brexit headed by a Brexit supporting MP whose task will be to negotiate Brexit on terms that preserve access to the Single Market whilst ending freedom of movement. Since this is impossible, the attempt will destroy the career of whoever tries it... 

Meanwhile the Scottish National Party, headed by another fearsomely competent woman, says that they will call for a referendum on leaving the UK (which they will probably win) if the UK leaves the EU...

Sunderland, where the Nissan plant is located, voted Leave. Nissan cars made there are mostly sold to Europe... the work force are waking up to the knowledge that they have quite possibly voted themselves out of a job...

Conversely, if I had a plant already going in a country that might face tariffs I would wait to see if it could make a profit before I shut it down. It's not the only car plant either. I prefer Toyota myself.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
On 27/06/2016 at 4:24 PM, Methersgate said:

I have not posted here on this.

Unlike many men of my age I am and always have been strongly pro-European integration. I have something to say to the Brexit people.

I don't mean the people who were scared into voting Leave by the lies - some now admitted to be lies - spread by Farage and his racist filth. I mean the hard core; the people who did the scaring and who are now saying "we won - move on"...

I was a child of the late British Empire. The Empire did not mean pink bits on the map at school, for me: it meant cricket played on coir matting wickets, Land Rovers, District Officers, The Times Air Mail Edition, " Lilliburlero" on the BBC World Service, local policemen in smart uniforms who were utterly incorruptible, railway trains that were clean and ran on time, if slowly, and playing with local children in the street, wherever we were.

Of course I feel nostalgic for that. I even worked as an adult in colonial Hong Kong and there was much for Britain to be proud of there.

But it came to an end. We spent the Sixties in economic melt down as the nation that "had lost an Empire and failed to find a role". Then Ted Heath took us into the EEC, and we became what we have been for the past forty three years, a sucessful European country.

I campaigned for Britain to be in Europe as soon as I was old enough to vote and I have done so for forty five years. I canvassed for Dick Taverne at Lincoln when he was deselected by his local Labour Party for being pro- Europe - he fought a by election as an independent and won. I organised speeches for Roy Jenkins when he was in the political wilderness. I resigned from the Labour Party and helped found the SDP over Europe. Some of my best friends are German and Dutch and Danish.

Fifty two per cent of those who voted have just smashed that. My 21 year old half Filipino son could not vote; he was at sea and there was no way that he could sign and return the proxy vote form. But like most of his age group, he is quietly, politely, very angry indeed at having his future wrecked by a bunch of pig ignorant old farts like you.

And don't ask me what I really think of you.

"Move on" you say...

I prefer Churchill:

"Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.”

“Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

And above all:

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."

You, the people who voted to Leave, are the enemy.

You , and the people who think like you, as opposed to those who were merely misguided and who are coming to regret their votes, are the people set on destroying my country and my children's country and on turning it into a place where mean spirited selfishness is the only thing that actuates people.

You are the real enemy of Britain and it is just as necessary to defeat you now as it was necessary to defeat Hitler seventy five years ago.

You think you have won? On the contrary, this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. It may be the end of the beginning.

It was a vote  and if people are not happy with it , then change it by moving , thats what i would do, i hear Scotland may be taking in more folk soon and they are hoping to fast track back into Europe too IF WE EVER LEAVE

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I voted OUT, because everyone told us that Europe cannot change , but many agreed that it needs to change . 

Am i  racist, am i a enemy of this country, am i silly , i am not any of those , i am just like you a person with a free vote who voted what i think is right, i have not gone around shouting and gloating at the people who voted to stay in and i have said before that if we had voted to stay in, well i would have just gone along with that vote too,

• Like 4