While on the subject of food in the Philippines.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This is a recurring theme among expats and I wonder if its just a cultural adjustment that some need to make. For example, that day at Coco Amigos "Y" needed a spoon and extra rice.  Knowing that waiting for the waitress would take a while I got up and walked to the back where they keep spoons.  I knew where that was simply due to my powers of observation, not because I am anyone special.  When I grabbed a spoon the waitress walked up to say sorry.  I said no problem and can you bring extra rice.

And that's how I handle deplorable service.  This may not be for everyone but I noticed early in my residency here that sitting and waiting for someone to come to me is going to take some time so I take my requirements to them.  That being said, I hate it when someone else does that :hystery:  For example, I was waiting for the waitress to bring me some water and another expat walked up to her and demanded her services at his table.  Had to wait extra time for my water :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

I don't believe it is a cultural adjustment. More likely just poorly trained restaurant personnel or bad management that results in poorly trained personnel.

There are more than one million college students taking "Hotel & Restaurant Management" courses. The aspiration is not management position. It is to have the necessary skills to be recruited for work on cruise ships, international resorts and restaurants. Overseas Filipino Workers in the service industry are outstanding. Cruise liners try to recruit from other countries like Indonesia and Thailand, but it is not the same. Maybe in this case, it is cultural.

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

In the Philippines, rice is an important complement to a meal. It is therefore served as other dishes are placed on a table. I recall years ago that in Hong Kong the rice or noodle dish is served last. My father explained that in the Chinese banquet or lauriat, these two dishes are considered as fillers. They are consumed assuming there is still some room remaining in your stomach. To touch either the rice or noodle would be insulting to the host. It is the equivalent of telling the host he/she did not orderr enough good dishes.

The Chinese food etiquette was personally difficult because I was accustomed to having rice with every meal

Traditional Chinese lauriats are still done that way, if the hosting family is Chinese (which we are not). We know to expect it, but we still grumble in silence.

Be it in the Philippines or here in Toronto, each time we arrange for a lauriat, we always ask for the rice to be served after the soup, along with 2 entrees.  The noodles can be served two courses after that.  By the time we get to the 8th course, we usually need to ask them to bring out more rice, to eat with the courses still to follow.

Edited by MacBubba

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Someone please tell me when  they have ever been to a Filipino Home or Restaurant where the rice is not served either 1st or within a few mins of Sitting down to eat :smile: Etiquette is sometimes a never learnt (Learned) Word and of course it IS their way :thumbsup:

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Chinese and Asian restaurants in the United States offer plate lunches that include at least one entree plus rice or noodle. This is accompanied with a choice of either hot-sour or egg drop soup and, as dessert, a fortune cookie. I asked a restaurant proprietor if their lunch specials are satisfactory for most Americans. His response nearly floored me. "Yes, except for Pilipinos. They always ask for extra rice!"

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

In the states, the Board of Health has closed down some Chinese restaurants after it was found to be a Class B restaurant. If problem is not solved within a certain period of time, the place is closed for business.

The most common in order were as follows:

1. Left over rice from customers was put back in a container to be served to other customers. 

2. Rodent poop found in food storage areas.

3. Water that washes dishes not hot enough.

4. The same with the hot tea as with the rice.

There was more but I cannot think or remember them.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

In the states, the Board of Health has closed down some Chinese restaurants after it was found to be a Class B restaurant. If problem is not solved within a certain period of time, the place is closed for business.

The most common in order were as follows:

1. Left over rice from customers was put back in a container to be served to other customers. 

2. Rodent poop found in food storage areas.

3. Water that washes dishes not hot enough.

4. The same with the hot tea as with the rice.

There was more but I cannot think or remember them.

I don't think the above is a fair statement. There are over 600,000 restaurants in the United States.  According to the magazine Chinese Restaurant News, nearly 41,000 are Chinese cuisine. From time to time, local health officials shut down restaurants for violations. The closures are not limited to one ethnic group.

I know of only one incident that specifically targeted Chinese food. In California, health officials tried to stop the practice of hanging cooked pork, ducks and chickens in a stall usually located next to a window facing the street. Their theory was hanging cooked food for several hours before being cut and consumed by customers made them susceptible to bacterial growth. Chinese restaurants and their customers successful fought and won. California health officials could not cite one incident wherein the practice harmed consumers. The incident was attributed to "cultural misunderstanding."

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

I know of only one incident that specifically targeted Chinese food. In California, health officials tried to stop the practice of hanging cooked pork, ducks and chickens in a stall usually located next to a window facing the street. Their theory was hanging cooked food for several hours before being cut and consumed by customers made them susceptible to bacterial growth. Chinese restaurants and their customers successful fought and won. California health officials could not cite one incident wherein the practice harmed consumers. The incident was attributed to "cultural misunderstanding."

The fact is that the Board of Health does not discriminate against any certain ethnic restaurants. It is an across the board inspection process of any restaurant. They do not announce when they are coming to inspect. They just do it. Thos found with violations get their Class A removed and given a Class B poster to be shown in public view. They are given a certain amount of time to correct the problem or they will be shut down. I've seen where restaurants have been shut down and it has been posted in local newspapers for all to see. If you have on;y noticed one incident you have missed the countless others.

While on the subject. Health Inspectors have been known to be paid off to overlook violations. I know this because one retired inspector said it was common practice. Not that he ever did it but you gotta wonder.

Edited by Gratefuled
addition/correction

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

How many Asian restaurants have to meet stringent health standards? Have you ever heard of a Filipino restaurant being closed down because the dish water was not hot enough to kill bacteria.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

If any body goes to Dalaguete I would recommend that they go to Ocean bay for their food every meal I have had there has been good and it is not that expensive. Or try Maria batchoy they have good food in there.The rest of the places are soso.

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

If any body goes to Dalaguete I would recommend that they go to Ocean bay for their food every meal I have had there has been good and it is not that expensive. Or try Maria batchoy they have good food in there.The rest of the places are soso.

There was one small American owned Mexican themed cafe there. Think the owner had a stroke some years ago, heard the food was also decent.