While on the subject of food in the Philippines.

RBM
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This is a Dumaguete restaurant on the boulevard.  It has a love it or hate it reputation among foreigners.

Robert mentioned how he never waits more than half hour for food in Dumaguete.  There are many places that will get the food to you within half an hour but I don't like to limit myself.  Lantaw took 45 minutes to serve us 2 weeks ago but I decided it was just because they are busy and I had time to wait.  Mia's consistently takes over an hour to serve food and uses the motto that good food takes time to prepare.  Fortunately its more of a pub atmosphere so one drinks while waiting.  I'm sure there are others.  I complained about Coco's because it is actually unusual for them to take more than 20 minutes to get the food to me.  I eat there about once every 2 weeks or so and drop in for a drink or an ice cream every week.

Perhaps try senoritas for Mexican, about 3 km after Robinson's,  not the cheapest but very good food, without the long wait. Soon as one sits order is taken up like the Cocos.

Edited by RBM

Reboot
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, robert k said:

Most of the Pandesal I have had was smaller than a slider bun or a what we in the US call a biscuit.

that's easily remedied I think

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, roddavis said:

Gratefuled, you mentioned there is a mexican restaurant in Cebu city? I asked about this a couple months back but didn't get an answer.    Thanks!

+

Maya at Cross roads is best I have been to. It's excellent with prices to match. We normally have a entrea and a main, share them and find its enough. Drinks, watch out expensive.

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Reboot said:

that's easily remedied I think

For your sake I would hope so. I think if I asked them to make the bigger they would and cook them exactly the same amount of time they always have. Things don't always scale up easily.

Reboot
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

We call it salt bread but  Pandesal with butter  

Pandesal is a type of Filipino bread that’s slightly sweet and baked as small, oval loaves. The name comes from the Spanish pan de sal, which means ‘bread of salt.’

Not that it matters that much but...........................:tiphat:

So..."bread of salt" in English isn't a good translation of the Spanish "pan de sal" in my not so humble opinon. One of the advantages English has over Spanish is that you can say something, usually, with fewer words. 

If you want a hyper literal translation, sure, "Bread of Salt" works.

But that's not a natural way calling something like that in English.

It's "salt bread."

Not "salty bread" either. For that to work, the source would not be "pan the sal", but rather "pan salado."

And I still think that would go awesome with leftover roast pork. 

Salamat po.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Reboot said:

We call it salt bread 

Is this NOT what i said? "Dorothy" comes to mind here, so if the Filipinos want to translate it their way so be it. Who are We?:smile:

Actually I said it and not the poster Sorry young man:whistling:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Well damn if it isn't almost 2 AM here, and the bottle of rum is no longer so full. So make allowances LOL

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Amazes me how popular are the food threads, wonder if one on night time activities would compete. 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, RBM said:

Amazes me how popular are the food threads, wonder if one on night time activities would compete. 

Sure, which Restaurants did you want to discuss, Service before 10pm and/or services offered after 10pm :hystery:

Kidding RBM just Kidding :popcorn:

Edited by Jack Peterson
slight correction
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Reboot said:

the bottle of rum is no longer so full

Is it half full or half empty :hystery:

• Like 1