While on the subject of food in the Philippines.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

there are a lot of panic stricken faces wondering why the accompanying rice hasn't been placed on the table yet.

Only if you have ordered Rice. Me, If mine is there then I am happy 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

OK.  On the subject of food in the Philippines.  Yvonne and I had a few things to do today and at 6PM we dropped by Coco Amigos on the boulevard to get supper.  We had the absurd thought that we could get a quick meal and get on with our shopping before things closed.

On the bright side, the food was PIPING hot when it arrived.  The bad news is that it showed up at 7:30 PM.  You would think that the place is geared up for tourists on a Friday night but it seems a table of 20 Chinese tourists arrived a while before us and the cook would not even start our meal until he made each of theirs . . one . . . . at . . . .a . . . . . . . time.

So an hour and a half later he finally got to ours and it was quite enjoyable.  Yes, we did question the proper people about why our food was taking so long and we did get 4 complimentary slices of French Bread with butter.  Better than average for this country.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

OK.  On the subject of food in the Philippines.  Yvonne and I had a few things to do today and at 6PM we dropped by Coco Amigos on the boulevard to get supper.  We had the absurd thought that we could get a quick meal and get on with our shopping before things closed.

On the bright side, the food was PIPING hot when it arrived.  The bad news is that it showed up at 7:30 PM.  You would think that the place is geared up for tourists on a Friday night but it seems a table of 20 Chinese tourists arrived a while before us and the cook would not even start our meal until he made each of theirs . . one . . . . at . . . .a . . . . . . . time.

So an hour and a half later he finally got to ours and it was quite enjoyable.  Yes, we did question the proper people about why our food was taking so long and we did get 4 complimentary slices of French Bread with butter.  Better than average for this country.

I would have walked out. There is no food in Dumaguete worth a 1.5 hour wait.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, robert k said:

There is no food in Dumaguete worth a 1.5 hour wait.

But that assumes you know in advance it will be a 1.5 hour wait.  Since I know its coming "in a while" I tend to think that it may be a busy night everywhere and I'd just be going to the back of the queue at a different restaurant.  This is the weekend Duterte is supposed to be in town and there are a lot of his supporters out wandering around.

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But that assumes you know in advance it will be a 1.5 hour wait.  Since I know its coming "in a while" I tend to think that it may be a busy night everywhere and I'd just be going to the back of the queue at a different restaurant.  This is the weekend Duterte is supposed to be in town and there are a lot of his supporters out wandering around.

1/2 hour in, no food = no stay.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Reboot said:

Kamoteng kahoy has a good amount of fiber. But I've heard of how they make it there....I guess I will have to try and make my own opinion of it.

Never heard of it and I don't have a problem with BM. :cornflakes:

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

It's funny--my husband is guilty of of doing this too: If we're in a Filipino or Asian restaurant as a couple or with a group and many dishes are ordered and start to arrive at the table, there are a lot of panic stricken faces wondering why the accompanying rice hasn't been placed on the table yet. The meal can't get going unless that bowl of rice is present.:mocking:

This is funny because the very first time my wife our son (now 16) and I went to eat at Mang Inasal I saw him dig into the rice with his hand and stuff it in his mouth. As I was about to say something, I noticed another customer doing the same thing, then, when I looked at my wife, she too was eating the rice with her hand.

She also eats with one foot on the chair but only at home. Says it's more comfortable. 

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

we did get 4 complimentary slices of French Bread with butter.

Wow, WOW, French bread with butter?  Now French bread in itself would be rare but BUTTER? WOW WOW

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, robert k said:

I would have walked out. There is no food in Dumaguete worth a 1.5 hour wait

I've walked out from just looking at the price of the food on the menu. Wife used to get embarrassed but she's used to it now. 

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

I've walked out from just looking at the price of the food on the menu. Wife used to get embarrassed but she's used to it now. 

I found the price at Coco Amigos to be mostly reasonable but I only ate there 3 times and had a few drinks with friends twice. On 3 occasions the service was almost non-existent. I got my order taken and food within 1/2 hour twice. 20 minutes just to find someone to take my order and food about 1/2 hour after that. On all occasions someone would have to track down a waitress for refills. Food was only ok quality. They are a Mexican restaurant that runs out of tortillas, for days. Half the menu involves tortillas. I decided that they didn't want customers and were too shy to say so.:mocking:

• Like 4