While on the subject of food in the Philippines.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Reboot said:

So if we're on the subject of food. What's pan de sal like? Good? Looks good to me.

Depends on where you get it. Some is sweet, most is kind of salty.  If you find a place that makes it to your liking - stick with them :tiphat:

• Like 3

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

Im glad they dont serve bread with meals here... One less part of the meal for them to ruin. Most of the bread is laced with so much sugar anyways...

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Reboot said:

So if we're on the subject of food. What's pan de sal like? Good? Looks good to me.

It is good and cheap. Great with butter. I love it.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, robert k said:

Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Only fresh but  day old is not so good.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The menu looks good. One would have to try the food to really comment on how good it really is.

Thanks, I'll save the  name and location if and when I'm ever there again. 

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Reboot said:

Salt bread is a more accurate translation to English methinks. Looks tasty. I imagine it would make some great sandwiches with leftover lechon, a sharp cheese, red onions, avocado, a bit of olive oil, and some tomatoes. Oh hell throw some mayonnaise and mustard on it too while we are at it.

The bread is too small for all that stuff. There are larger pan de sal but not for a subway sandwich or a Hoagy.

RBM
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I do know more than a few expats who live here and swear its great but every one of them mentions it is pricey.  As my budget demands that price be taken into account, I'll not be trying it any time soon.  I honestly don't find Coco's to be that bad or that slow.  For me it was a one time gripe, but who knows what the future will bring.

Dave sorry but this is not our experience, in both cases, perhaps you have a certain way with the pretty waitresses which i do not have at Cocos....Apart, myself and many others find the food (when it eventually arrives) delicious how ever service  deplorable. We have tried to persevere as food is good, last time we failed even to get a drink....Just no service. Our experience is evenings, perhaps yours is lunch?

Senoritas if alone is expensive, we find one portion between us for lunch is quite sufficient. Service is refreshing and the owner is lovely, try it with your SO, recommended is the chicken enchiladas or burritos. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

service  deplorable.

This is a recurring theme among expats and I wonder if its just a cultural adjustment that some need to make. For example, that day at Coco Amigos "Y" needed a spoon and extra rice.  Knowing that waiting for the waitress would take a while I got up and walked to the back where they keep spoons.  I knew where that was simply due to my powers of observation, not because I am anyone special.  When I grabbed a spoon the waitress walked up to say sorry.  I said no problem and can you bring extra rice.

And that's how I handle deplorable service.  This may not be for everyone but I noticed early in my residency here that sitting and waiting for someone to come to me is going to take some time so I take my requirements to them.  That being said, I hate it when someone else does that :hystery:  For example, I was waiting for the waitress to bring me some water and another expat walked up to her and demanded her services at his table.  Had to wait extra time for my water :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/9/2016 at 1:59 AM, Queenie O. said:

It's funny--my husband is guilty of of doing this too: If we're in a Filipino or Asian restaurant as a couple or with a group and many dishes are ordered and start to arrive at the table, there are a lot of panic stricken faces wondering why the accompanying rice hasn't been placed on the table yet. The meal can't get going unless that bowl of rice is present.:mocking:

In the Philippines, rice is an important complement to a meal. It is therefore served as other dishes are placed on a table. I recall years ago that in Hong Kong the rice or noodle dish is served last. My father explained that in the Chinese banquet or lauriat, these two dishes are considered as fillers. They are consumed assuming there is still some room remaining in your stomach. To touch either the rice or noodle would be insulting to the host. It is the equivalent of telling the host he/she did not orderr enough good dishes.

The Chinese food etiquette was personally difficult because I was accustomed to having rice with every meal. 

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

This is a recurring theme among expats and I wonder if its just a cultural adjustment that some need to make. For example, that day at Coco Amigos "Y" needed a spoon and extra rice.  Knowing that waiting for the waitress would take a while I got up and walked to the back where they keep spoons.  I knew where that was simply due to my powers of observation, not because I am anyone special.  When I grabbed a spoon the waitress walked up to say sorry.  I said no problem and can you bring extra rice.

And that's how I handle deplorable service.  This may not be for everyone but I noticed early in my residency here that sitting and waiting for someone to come to me is going to take some time so I take my requirements to them.  That being said, I hate it when someone else does that :hystery:  For example, I was waiting for the waitress to bring me some water and another expat walked up to her and demanded her services at his table.  Had to wait extra time for my water :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

I understand where your coming from Dave how ever its not a culture adjustment needed when one waits 20 plus minutes for simple service. Plus in Dumaguete one is spoil t for restos, if Cocos does not stack up so be it, plenty more to choose from.

The upstairs kitchen is cheap, good and service is as good as anywhere I have been in the west. Dumaguete has its share of problems how ever variety of restos is certainly not one.

• Like 2