Thinking about moving to the Philipines.

NoshowJones
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, davewe said:

I have told anyone who will listen (and they rarely do) that you should choose a place that looks appealing first. Anywhere you go in the Philippines you can meet attractive girls who will be interested in you, if you are a respectful man and understand the culture, even a little bit. So you don't need to just focus on a place which seems convenient for women. 

I've told the story before but my good friend on arriving in Manila got hit on by the immigration officer who stamped his passport. 'Wecome to the Philippines, Mr. Guapo," she said -

So don't make your decision solely based on women; they will be everywhere.

Thanks Davewe, no I want to maybe come for a few days then speak to expats, there is also things I need to know about getting my state pension sent. That is a big thing for me as I will get my annual increases in the Philipines.

jon1
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Thanks Davewe, no I want to maybe come for a few days then speak to expats, there is also things I need to know about getting my state pension sent. That is a big thing for me as I will get my annual increases in the Philipines.

To be able to open a bank account, you will need to obtain a ACR I-Card http://www.immigration.gov.ph/services/alien-registration/acr-i-card-issuance which you can apply for after 59 days (2nd tourist visa extension). It generally takes at least 1 month (if not two) to receive after applying. To speed up the process, you could file for your second 30 day extension after you have been in the PI for a week. Wait another week and then file for the next one. You will still have to come up with a plan on how to get by without a bank account until you receive your ACR I-Card. Then you will have to work out which bank to get your pension deposited in.

I always move my money via depositing a check from my US Bank. No fees, but you have to wait 30 days for the funds to be available so you have to be thinking at least one month ahead if not two.

There are a lot of expats in the Subic area and also an area north of Subic (Pundaquit/San Antonio/San Narcisso). There is also a local veterans hangout http://www.fra367.org/ that has a robust membership (500+). It is cheap to live in that area (rural). The Subic freeport is not cheap. A good friend of mine is running a small beach resort just north of there.  Extremely cheap, cold beer, beach, diving, etc. 

• Like 1

NoshowJones
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, jon1 said:

To be able to open a bank account, you will need to obtain a ACR I-Card http://www.immigration.gov.ph/services/alien-registration/acr-i-card-issuance which you can apply for after 59 days (2nd tourist visa extension). It generally takes at least 1 month (if not two) to receive after applying. To speed up the process, you could file for your second 30 day extension after you have been in the PI for a week. Wait another week and then file for the next one. You will still have to come up with a plan on how to get by without a bank account until you receive your ACR I-Card. Then you will have to work out which bank to get your pension deposited in.

I always move my money via depositing a check from my US Bank. No fees, but you have to wait 30 days for the funds to be available so you have to be thinking at least one month ahead if not two.

There are a lot of expats in the Subic area and also an area north of Subic (Pundaquit/San Antonio/San Narcisso). There is also a local veterans hangout http://www.fra367.org/ that has a robust membership (500+). It is cheap to live in that area (rural). The Subic freeport is not cheap. A good friend of mine is running a small beach resort just north of there.  Extremely cheap, cold beer, beach, diving, etc. 

Thanks Jon1, that won't be a big problem, I wonder if there are agents who can do this sort of thing for you.

jon1
Posted
Posted

No need for agents. Just bring a couple of 2x2 photos (passport type), some pesos and fill out the form. Takes about 15 minutes in the Olongapo BI... 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jon1 said:

No need for agents. Just bring a couple of 2x2 photos (passport type), some pesos and fill out the form. Takes about 15 minutes in the Olongapo BI... 

They got rid of the photo requirement, according to some recent posts here.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

They got rid of the photo requirement, according to some recent posts here.

That is for first extension, can someone confirm for next as it's the ACR -I card. does the card normally have a photo? 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

That is for first extension, can someone confirm for next as it's the ACR -I card. does the card normally have a photo? 

All mine had a photo, but it was the photo somehow they swiped from my passport.  I always wondered how they did that.  My latest ACR expired last year, so things may have changed.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

All mine had a photo, but it was the photo somehow they swiped from my passport.  I always wondered how they did that.  My latest ACR expired last year, so things may have changed.

I will find out in the next day or two as i'm due for extension. 

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

My permanent resident ACR card had the same photo that they painstakingly took for my temporary one at the ACR office across from Immigration. I thought it was the same for all ACR cards here..

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

My permanent resident ACR card had the same photo that they painstakingly took for my temporary one at the ACR office across from Immigration. I thought it was the same for all ACR cards here..

Not too sure about a Tourist card ( I have Forgotten) but on the Permanent You only do a new Photo on your 5 year renewal  

• Like 1