Armed civilian militia. Is this the answer?

Gas
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

I am thinking that an armed civilian militia would stop some crimes but not all.

There has been a armed civilian group called CAFGO operating in the Philippines since the 80's. Up until a few years ago they operated a check point at nights not far from our home. The recruitment process is/was very informal and the vast majority of its members have no training or understanding of the how justice is supposed to work. Basically it was a way to earn some extra income and carry a gun legally. Most of the guys who operated the check points near our home were farmers or jobless.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Gas said:

Basically it was a way to earn some extra income and carry a gun legally. Most of the guys who operated the check points near our home were farmers or jobless.

That my Friend can be as dangerous as it is a safe thing, Allegiances change with a few Peso :huh:

• Like 5

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Slightly off topic, I often wondered when entering a mall or bank in Phil;

Arm guards on door way's, how many have been trained in the use of the weapon they carry or would in fact use it!

Back to topic, Do I agree with civilians being armed, after recent event's here in UK, Yes selective persons under special circumstances

and with training.

Edited by Kuya John
clarifying
  • Like 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

i guess you have to settle for the Neighborhood Watch program.

I was part of a neighborhood watch for a while.  Nothing official, just some guys from the temple. We had a schedule of early morning patrols because of rapes in the neighborhood.  One morning I was talking to a cop and he asked me what gun I carried. I told him I did not. He looked at me like I was crazy and said all the other guys carried a gun (I know most of them carried 24 hours a day).  I laughed and gave him a line I learned back when I rode with the police "better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6".  He laughed and said don't come back without a gun ha ha. 

That being said... untrained civilians don't need guns.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Every male Swiss citizen is a member of their armed forces and they are required to keep at home an assault rifle with ammunition. Incidents of crime or violence using these assault rifles is nearly zero. 

• Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Every male Swiss citizen is a member of their armed forces and they are required to keep at home an assault rifle with ammunition. Incidents of crime or violence using these assault rifles is nearly zero. 

And that gun stays at home unless they get the call to muster. The american model was the same until it got out of control. It goes back to the day before standing armies when in times of trouble you would raise a militia, a call to arms. One thing to notice about the two London attacks the weapons of choice, apart from a truck was knives. It's not as easy to get weapons in the UK as the media likes to make out. The last thing we want is a bunch of John Wayne wannabes rusting around, it would be like the gun fight at the ok coral. All shooting each other not knowing who was the terrorist. As soon as you arm the public you up the anti with the criminal. Most house invasions in the Philippines go armed because they have all heard that the americans have guns.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gary D said:

And that gun stays at home unless they get the call to muster. The american model was the same until it got out of control. It goes back to the day before standing armies when in times of trouble you would raise a militia, a call to arms. One thing to notice about the two London attacks the weapons of choice, apart from a truck was knives. It's not as easy to get weapons in the UK as the media likes to make out. The last thing we want is a bunch of John Wayne wannabes rusting around, it would be like the gun fight at the ok coral. All shooting each other not knowing who was the terrorist. As soon as you arm the public you up the anti with the criminal. Most house invasions in the Philippines go armed because they have all heard that the americans have guns.

Look for a lot more bombs then, lots and lots of bombs. Bombs, bombs, bombs...and more bombs. Did I mention bombs? 3 men with van and knives = 6 dead? 1 man with 1 bomb = 20 dead. Unless you think terrorists don't watch the news, don't read the paper or can't count past 7, they are going to see as well as anyone else that bombs are really the way to go. Bombs are much more effective in untrained hands. :boom: I would rather they have a gun. Maybe that's because I know through experience that well trained individuals often hit nothing of consequence at all when they shoot, much less so amateurs/novices. I have often said that I want hoodlums to have full automatic weapons because they will hit less and run out of ammunition faster. I would be much more afraid of someone with a bolt action rifle because he wouldn't waste his shot, he would aim. Many more people were killed per shot fired in the early 1800's when it took between 30 seconds and a minute to reload than there are today. I guess it's your country and if you want more bombs, it's your choice.

I really hate to make this prediction but within a year, there will probably be a van bomb. Look at this last group. They had a van. They made fake bombs which tells me they wished they had a bomb. Bombs are not that hard to make. It's a progression. 

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gas said:

There has been a armed civilian group called CAFGO operating in the Philippines since the 80's. Up until a few years ago they operated a check point at nights not far from our home. The recruitment process is/was very informal and the vast majority of its members have no training or understanding of the how justice is supposed to work. Basically it was a way to earn some extra income and carry a gun legally. Most of the guys who operated the check points near our home were farmers or jobless.

Yes, but they are just a few. 

We cannot compare Philippines with the US. Why? One reason is because in the Philippines wealthy people are allowed to have private armies. Remember the Ampatuan Massacre. It's been mentioned before about how you can tell who wealthy people are because they usually have armed guards all around them. Sounds like Al Capone and his boys.

Duterte is going to try and reduce the number of armed guards a person can have. 

Good Luck DU30

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, robert k said:

Look for a lot more bombs then, lots and lots of bombs. Bombs, bombs, bombs...and more bombs. Did I mention bombs? 3 men with van and knives = 6 dead? 1 man with 1 bomb = 20 dead. Unless you think terrorists don't watch the news, don't read the paper or can't count past 7, they are going to see as well as anyone else that bombs are really the way to go. Bombs are much more effective in untrained hands. :boom: I would rather they have a gun. Maybe that's because I know through experience that well trained individuals often hit nothing of consequence at all when they shoot, much less so amateurs/novices. I have often said that I want hoodlums to have full automatic weapons because they will hit less and run out of ammunition faster. I would be much more afraid of someone with a bolt action rifle because he wouldn't waste his shot, he would aim. Many more people were killed per shot fired in the early 1800's when it took between 30 seconds and a minute to reload than there are today. I guess it's your country and if you want more bombs, it's your choice.

I really hate to make this prediction but within a year, there will probably be a van bomb. Look at this last group. They had a van. They made fake bombs which tells me they wished they had a bomb. Bombs are not that hard to make. It's a progression. 

Well I hope your prediction is wrong, sad to say I fear it will come true unless something drastic is done.

robert k
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Well I hope your prediction is wrong, sad to say I fear it will come true unless something drastic is done.

I wish I didn't believe it myself, but if that were so? I wouldn't have wrote it.:sad:

• Like 1