Balikbayan box

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted

I always get 2kgs of home cured bacon to take with me when we are on holiday in Ph, when we come to live next year I will have to re-think things, it may be a good excuse to build a place to breed pigs at our farm and see if we can cure our own bacon !!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, John Chamberlain said:

I always get 2kgs of home cured bacon to take with me when we are on holiday in Ph, when we come to live next year I will have to re-think things, it may be a good excuse to build a place to breed pigs at our farm and see if we can cure our own bacon !!

Great idea as long as you put them downwind of the house, John!

• Haha 1

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Great idea as long as you put them downwind of the house, John!

Yes we have plenty of room that's away from where we live and the ideal location will be at the back of our rice mill, then the waste from the mill can be used as bedding for the pigs, which will then produce great fertilizer for our rice & corn growing. Well that's the plan I think, its just a matter of what we do 1st as we have a number of projects linked to the farm & it all costs money to begin with so we will take our time ( hopefully using profits to finance the next project), we are not looking to make a fortune, just to build things up over time .

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, John Chamberlain said:

Yes we have plenty of room that's away from where we live and the ideal location will be at the back of our rice mill, then the waste from the mill can be used as bedding for the pigs, which will then produce great fertilizer for our rice & corn growing. Well that's the plan I think, its just a matter of what we do 1st as we have a number of projects linked to the farm & it all costs money to begin with so we will take our time ( hopefully using profits to finance the next project), we are not looking to make a fortune, just to build things up over time .

Happy to hear that.

My wife's family live in a smallish compound and one of the relatives keeps pigs - only 2 - and the pen is only around 30 metres from the houses.  It can get a bit wiffy at times.  OK for the owner, he lives in another area completely.  :wink:

• Like 1

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Happy to hear that.

My wife's family live in a smallish compound and one of the relatives keeps pigs - only 2 - and the pen is only around 30 metres from the houses.  It can get a bit wiffy at times.  OK for the owner, he lives in another area completely.  :wink:

I have lived in the country most of my life, a farm manager for a time, there was a large Pig farm not far away & yes Pig production is a very very smelly job even if you keep them as clean as possible, we live a 30 minute drive from the farm but some of the family need to be consulted as it would directly affect where they live only 50 metres away & we don't want to upset anyone. :smile:

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The biggest problem with having the pigs or any animal away from the house is them being stollen, we had a goat disappear recently.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Fish ponds being particularly prone. 

Clermont
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, John Chamberlain said:

Good idea John, make sure you take over a good stirrup pump, pump for pumping brine into the meat and make up a smoker out of an old 44 drum, make sure before you put your meat into the smoker, it is dry. experiment with different types of sawdust as smoke can have different tastes, I use pine. Simple process, tastes better than store bought, just make sure the brine goes around all bones as meat will taint if blood is left in meat or around the bone. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Clermont said:

Good idea John, make sure you take over a good stirrup pump, pump for pumping brine into the meat and make up a smoker out of an old 44 drum, make sure before you put your meat into the smoker, it is dry. experiment with different types of sawdust as smoke can have different tastes, I use pine. Simple process, tastes better than store bought, just make sure the brine goes around all bones as meat will taint if blood is left in meat or around the bone. :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the information, you sound like a man who has perfected the art of smoking bacon !! I have a lot of learning to do and I am going to research it on the net, my 1st thoughts were combating the hot climate with some sort of cold store/ fridge, I don't expect to be starting this until I move over to Ph for good which will be next year but I have a steep learning curve !! My brother in law in Ph has a mechanical engineering, welding shop there, so I will ask him to put a smoker together, he a wiz at that sort of stuff haha. I can't wait to see all the family there when we holiday for 5 weeks in April :cheers:

John Chamberlain
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Gary D said:

The biggest problem with having the pigs or any animal away from the house is them being stollen, we had a goat disappear recently.

I am sorry to hear of your loss, we have family near by with dogs that keep most things safe but theft is a risk without any doubt & also there is an air born infection that Pigs & chickens can pick up, it killed all the chickens a couple of years ago which makes me think I need to do a lot more research, it would be a very costly disaster to build a good sized set up with 10 breeding females only to have them all die !!

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic