Alternatives to the Philippines

Gary D
Posted
Posted

The Philippines version is cheaper, they just leave you in a corner to die.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
On 3/10/2019 at 8:38 AM, JJReyes said:

I am looking at the Philippines or another country as a final destination when I am no longer able to take care of myself.  The issue is financial.  Why spend $6,000 to $12,000 a month for one full-time, live-in caregiver in the United States?  It would be much cheaper to pay for care in the Philippines. One question:  Should it be the Philippines because I was born there or is there another country?  My wife, for example, objects that the Philippines is too far.  Her preference is somewhere closer like Central or South America so she could visit our two sons and granddaughter. 

I'm on page 3 or 4 and I'm not seeing anything new..  just complaints that it's too expensive to be infirm in the Philippines...  If you have family here but they aren't able to look after you?  Get insurance to cover that now!  Geesh!  

JJ, your wife wants something closer?  Consider Canada...  Get citizenship, pay your income taxes and, should you need a place to look after you?  It's covered by your health insurance (provincially - paid either by your taxes)...  Or you can get extra insurance to provide you with a deluxe home...  My mother has been in one excellent nursing home for over 10 years now (paralyzed on one side from a stroke) and the caregivers are like family...  My dad was there when he broke his hip and had cancer at the same time...   They set up his room so we could have an advance birthday party and anniversary party the night before he passed away...  And they made sure mom was there with him as much as possible...  So, yeah, Canada is good for this sort of thing ..  I just won't be going back home if I need care..  my future bride has promised her father (she's a daddy's girl) that she will look after me if I ever can't do it myself...  They just haven't figured out yet that I'm immortal...  Hehe!

• Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, i am bob said:

I'm on page 3 or 4 and I'm not seeing anything new..  just complaints that it's too expensive to be infirm in the Philippines...  If you have family here but they aren't able to look after you?  Get insurance to cover that now!  Geesh!  

JJ, your wife wants something closer?  Consider Canada...  Get citizenship, pay your income taxes and, should you need a place to look after you?  It's covered by your health insurance (provincially - paid either by your taxes)...  Or you can get extra insurance to provide you with a deluxe home...  My mother has been in one excellent nursing home for over 10 years now (paralyzed on one side from a stroke) and the caregivers are like family...  My dad was there when he broke his hip and had cancer at the same time...   They set up his room so we could have an advance birthday party and anniversary party the night before he passed away...  And they made sure mom was there with him as much as possible...  So, yeah, Canada is good for this sort of thing ..  I just won't be going back home if I need care..  my future bride has promised her father (she's a daddy's girl) that she will look after me if I ever can't do it myself...  They just haven't figured out yet that I'm immortal...  Hehe!

If you can find insurance to cover you in your later years you probably couldn't afford it.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, i am bob said:

Our current location is California which is one of the highest in the nation when it comes to state taxes.  It is also very liberal when it comes to welfare programs.  If you can't afford an assisted care facility, one option is a program for in-home caregiver services.  The state will pay a spouse, son or daughter, close relative between $2,500 to $3,500 a month to provide full-time care.  The state considers this cheaper than their paying an assisted living facility $6,000 or more per month.  The program is for those who assets/income are below a certain level.

• Like 1

oldutot
Posted
Posted (edited)

Head to Ecquator the mountains there

Edited by oldutot
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, oldutot said:

Head to Ecquator the mountains there

Spent one month in Cuenca and we had a great time.  Last I heard, the Norte Americano retirement population has increased from 8,000 during the time of our visit to 15,000.  Prices are great and it's a dollar economy, meaning you pay in US dollars which is their local currency.  Restaurants offer a "Menu of the Day" consisting of a drink, appetizer, main course and dessert.  Deluxe restaurants charged about $7.50 and working class places around $2.75 for lunch.  Diesel price was $1.18 per gallon (no taxes and the country is an oil producer) and a one bedroom newer apartment inclusive of WiFi, water and electricity was $500.   The area is called, "Gringoland."  I wonder why.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
sbs333
Posted
Posted
On 2019/3/8 at AM12点43分, JJReyes said:

一旦我开始需要辅助护理,我仍然专注于菲律宾作为退休目的地。问题是政府正在发展有利于中国势力范围的情绪。未来几年的情况可能会让西方人感到不安。一份报告显示,中国正将菲律宾视为数百万老年人的退休地点,因为照顾者的成本要低得多。 

论坛成员是否将其他地方作为独立或辅助生活的替代方案进行研究?我的梦想仍然是在医院附近找一家公寓,并雇佣24/7护理人员来照顾我的需求。它不会在马尼拉大都会。可能性包括宿务和杜马格特。

I think the Philippines is a very good retirement option.