Split or Windowtype Aircon?

davewe
Posted
Posted
On 11/17/2019 at 11:08 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Anyone looking for a split aircon may want to talk to the local businesses who specialize in that brand.  There are 3 such businesses that I know of in Dumaguete.  Each will supply and install and service and warranty their own product only.  Some will also install brands that they do not repair but if the unit breaks down you are on your own. 

What I found quickly (not about AC, but still the same) is that while all the major players have technicians, it doesn't mean they do authorised warranty work (IOW paid for by the manufacturer). I bought an oven, had what I hoped was a minor problem, went back to the store to be told that another store was the only authorised warranty repair centre in Dumaguete. Now they made it clear that once I am out of warranty, they had a technician that could work on my oven but not if I wanted the repair to be under warranty.

I suppose this is true in the US as well; not everyone who sells a unit is the authored warranty service for that unit. But it sure is convenient when they are one in the same.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, davewe said:

What I found quickly (not about AC, but still the same) is that while all the major players have technicians, it doesn't mean they do authorised warranty work (IOW paid for by the manufacturer). I bought an oven, had what I hoped was a minor problem, went back to the store to be told that another store was the only authorised warranty repair centre in Dumaguete. Now they made it clear that once I am out of warranty, they had a technician that could work on my oven but not if I wanted the repair to be under warranty.

I suppose this is true in the US as well; not everyone who sells a unit is the authored warranty service for that unit. But it sure is convenient when they are one in the same.

Same here in Olongapo for LG and Samsung and a few others.  There is one shop that can do warranty work.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, davewe said:

Before I buy anything over there, I ask were warranty work is done. General answer, "they never break down Sir". :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Before I buy anything over there, I ask were warranty work is done. General answer, "they never break down Sir". :hystery:

Ah... that is one of the big reasons I am buying the aircon units from the same company that will service them. It may cost a bit more than elsewhere, but I am counting on better service from the seller/installer... I will lit you know how it goes....

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/26/2019 at 6:40 AM, Gary D said:

make sure your install is done with good, thick insulation on the piping.  I mentioned on another thread that we have a problem with sweating on the pipes, despite the insulation that was installed.  I am told now that a cheaper, thin (1/4 or 1/2) insulation might only last 2 years and the original install often use the cheap stuff.  It does not cost much to upgrade to 3/4, and I am told inverters should always have 3/4.  Don't know why but I kinda trust the guy's opinion.

I'm getting new 3/4 insulation installed after 3.5 years.  I don't know what the old thickness was yet, but I'm fairly certain it is less than 3/4.  Labor and materials to replace it is about p5000, I think.

Last Monday I had the new insulation installed.  First quote was not for the entire length, so I ended up with p6195 for the job.  Labor 2500 + the materials.  The old insulation was really thin and just about gone.  The new is 3/4 thick so one pipe is around 2+ inches diameter wrapped in it.  Times two pipes + wiring conduit makes a very thick line, but they did a good job wrapping it all up neatly.  No more sweating!

So on Tuesday our Kolin split inverter came up with an E3 error.  I had the same outfit come out and replace a capacitor.  Works good now.  p500 parts and p1000 labor.  It is 5+ years old so I guess it was due for something to fail.

So this outfit is more expensive but the guys seem better trained.  I will continue to use them.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

So on Tuesday our Kolin split inverter came up with an E3 error.  I had the same outfit come out and replace a capacitor.  Works good now.  p500 parts and p1000 labor.  It is 5+ years old so I guess it was due for something to fail.

So this outfit is more expensive but the guys seem better trained.  I will continue to use them.

Better 1,500php for a job well done than 750php for a botched one! 

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted

Maybe a stupid question, but is it not new insulation on the pipes an pretty easy diy job?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

Maybe a stupid question, but is it not new insulation on the pipes an pretty easy diy job?

It depends on what you think is easy, if you want a quality job, and what your time is worth, I suppose.  In my case, I'm nursing a bad hip so I have to stay away from climbing on ladders or doing awkward bending.  If I was in the U.S. and the lines were a straight shot, I might give it a try.  Over here, even if my leg was healthy, I would still pay someone to do it right.  Labor is cheap here.  It took two guys who knew exactly what they were doing about 3.5 hours for p2500 labor, or about $49.  That is about $7 an hour including the profit of the business owner.  I watched them and they didn't waste a lot of time.  Another duo might have been plus or minus 30 minutes.  It would probably take me a few days and many re-works and extra materials.  Total cost, labor and materials, was p6195, about $122.

Keep in mind, there is not a Home Depot around the corner, so after you (or someone) diagnose the issue (mentioned earlier in this thread), then you would have to go hunting for the materials.  Insulation of the right type, pipe size  and thickness, and 2 types of tape.  After time wasted hunting, maybe you find the right stuff.  Then, get out the ladder, and with no helper, remove the old insulation.  Then properly install the new insulation individually around 2 copper pipes running parallel to each other very close together up high and with 4 or more 90 degree bends.  About 28 feet of insulation, I think.  Then do the final taping around the electrical conduit and the two insulated pipes in a neat and professional manner.

I will always pay to have it done here!  Here is a video of the piping.  The only thing they didn't do (he said not needed and it is taped well inside) is put some silicone in the edge of that hole going inside the house.  I will do that tomorrow to keep the geckos and bugs out of there.

• Like 3

Viking
Posted
Posted

When put like that OMW, I agree with you :thumbsup:

In my future case, the pipes will not be that long since the outdoor unit will be no more than 2 meters away from the indoor unit. But I will still have to spend time getting the things I need. On the other side, when there, I will have lots of time and I think it would give me some satisfaction to do things on my own. Maybe I will change my mind when I´m in that situation :laugh:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Viking said:

When put like that OMW, I agree with you :thumbsup:

In my future case, the pipes will not be that long since the outdoor unit will be no more than 2 meters away from the indoor unit. But I will still have to spend time getting the things I need. On the other side, when there, I will have lots of time and I think it would give me some satisfaction to do things on my own. Maybe I will change my mind when I´m in that situation :laugh:

Actually I didn't write all that just for you.  As I wrote, I reminded myself not to attempt anything stupid in the future, as I have done in the past!  :smile:

Back in the U.S., part of the fun of D.I.Y. was going to Home Depot / Lowes and SLOWLY shopping the whole store while looking for the stuff you actually need.  Even if I had a Home Depot type store nearby, I couldn't do that here because a 3 yo and 5 yo keep us busy constantly!

• Like 1