Split or Windowtype Aircon?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

If they say something a lot larger is the correct size, you need to ask for and get all the details that went into their assessment.

And I will check with another dealer (or two) for a second and maybe third opinion!

After thinking this through some more, I guess it also depends upon how cool do we need it? In this living room/kitchen space in the apartment, we set it at about 26 to get it cool and then sometimes up it to 27 or even 28 after everything gets cooler. I should add that 26 is about as cool as it gets unless it is cooler outside. That even works okay when we use the oven. It is also on the third floor so the terrace deck gets hot and we can feel the wall on the western side gets very hot every day.

The new house is shaded on the west so sleepy time should not be a hassle to cool? We like the bedroom to be from 20-21 but cooler would be nice with a thicker cover. And that's as cool as this tiny Kopel will do.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

We like the bedroom to be from 20-21

I wish my wife would go for this!!!  26 or maybe 25 at night is all she can tolerate!

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Are there actually people paying less than that for installation of a split unit aircon system?  That instal price sounds great to me, if it is all in parts and labor.

I don't really know the actual rate to install for installation only but we were quoted unit + installation or total price only.  5K was about double the add-on from other stores who were quoting around 3K.  We paid only 2k for a window-type installation - including cutting the (big) hole and installing the electric point.  Very reasonable compared to split-type as it was a 1 1/2 day job and the split-types are installed in just over 1/2 a day.  

Edited by hk blues
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Yes... I have read that same information courtesy of Kuya G. I am working now to calculate approximate required hp for our house and found this online a short while ago:

1. Horsepower

Assess the air conditioner horsepower you need based on your room’s floor area. Or when in doubt, consult your air conditioner dealer. Here’s a quick guide:

Floor Area (in square meters) / AC Unit Size (Horsepower)

10.5sqm:                     0.5 hp

11 to 14sqm:              0.75 hp

15 to 21sqm:             1.0 hp

22 to 25sqm:             1.5 hp

26 to 28sqm:             2.0 hp

39 t0 48sqm:             2.5 hp

It confuses me that they use differnt ways in calculating the size you need, when you look online. Its hp, kW and BTU :89:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Viking said:

It confuses me that they use differnt ways in calculating the size you need, when you look online. Its hp, kW and BTU :89:

Pretty much every store I went to based everything on room size to determine HP.  I was advised when borderline best to go up a size, especially if you are looking at inverter type.  We could have gone a little smaller in the bedroom   but we wanted an inverter so 1HP is the smallest. 

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

However, we currently have a problem with the piping on one unit sweating profusely, and after some research and closer inspection, I think their installation might have been sub-par.  They recently changed hands and all the staff are new.  They came out and really seemed clueless on the sweating.  I am going to have another recommended company take a look.

My best guess without seeing your unit , is the the sweating is condensed water 

If you feel handy with tools and stuff , switch off the power , take a look at the pipework as it comes into the side of the unit , remove the casing , you will find a small pump , it may be in the external plastic covering to the pipework 

The.pump might be knackered , or the hoses , or drain holes blocked , 

The water needs to be pumped away ,it is a by product of the way an aircon unit works 

Also check that the pipes are insulated , no bare copper pipe showing

Hope this helps

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

My best guess without seeing your unit , is the the sweating is condensed water 

If you feel handy with tools and stuff , switch off the power , take a look at the pipework as it comes into the side of the unit , remove the casing , you will find a small pump , it may be in the external plastic covering to the pipework 

The.pump might be knackered , or the hoses , or drain holes blocked , 

The water needs to be pumped away ,it is a by product of the way an aircon unit works 

Also check that the pipes are insulated , no bare copper pipe showing

Hope this helps

It is is not a problem with the drain pipe.  It is the copper in/out pipes that are sweating profusely.  I read that two main possible causes are:

1.  Insulation is insufficient, like you said.

2.  Refrigerant is low

Might be a little of both.  I have a guy coming out, maybe tomorrow, to take a look.  He said that the insulation can go bad after some time passes.  It does look bad, very soggy, but I don't see copper.  Due to the sweating over the past 6-12 months, it appears that the insulation has deteriorated.

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
On 11/17/2019 at 6:18 PM, OnMyWay said:

Gary, where is "Albertsons" and "All Homes"?

I think he means Abensons. I seem to remember Albertsons is a US chain. All Home have branches nationwide. https://allhome.com.ph/branches/

• Like 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

It is is not a problem with the drain pipe.  It is the copper in/out pipes that are sweating profusely.  I read that two main possible causes are:

1.  Insulation is insufficient, like you said.

2.  Refrigerant is low

Might be a little of both.  I have a guy coming out, maybe tomorrow, to take a look.  He said that the insulation can go bad after some time passes.  It does look bad, very soggy, but I don't see copper.  Due to the sweating over the past 6-12 months, it appears that the insulation has deteriorated.

I'd there frosting around the exposed parts ? , if there is then that's a giveaway for low refrigerant 

If the guy has the equipment,  you can add a bit more gas to it quite easily 

Over here , we are meant to do a full pressure test , that involves a vac pump , gauges,  scales , spare bottle and nitrogen 

I doubt that they are that fussy in the Philippines 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, bastonjock said:

I'd there frosting around the exposed parts ? , if there is then that's a giveaway for low refrigerant 

If the guy has the equipment,  you can add a bit more gas to it quite easily 

Over here , we are meant to do a full pressure test , that involves a vac pump , gauges,  scales , spare bottle and nitrogen 

I doubt that they are that fussy in the Philippines 

The cleaning guys just left.  He measured the refrigerant pressure and he says it is too high at 180.  It has never had refrigerant added since the first install.  Is 180 a problem?  He said it should be 150 or less.

He said the insulation on the copper pipes may be bad and/or was never the proper thickness.  He said an inverter should have 3/4 inch insulation on the pipes.  They are going to give me a quote on replacing the insulation.

The outfit that did the install 3.5 years ago and has been doing my cleanings only charged 750 for cleaning a split.  These guys are charging 1200, but will reduce it for multiple units.  However, I don't think the first outfit was cleaning the outside condenser every time.  Not sure.  These guys took off the fan and part of the housing, then gave it a thorough pressure wash.

Thanks for your thoughts!

• Like 3