Split or Windowtype Aircon?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

on one occasion SM Appliance wanted 5K!!!

Are there actually people paying less than that for installation of a split unit aircon system?  That instal price sounds great to me, if it is all in parts and labor.

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted

Still nobody who have any experience of the Multi split type aircons, the ones with 1 outdoor unit and several Indoor units?

Gary D
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Viking said:

Still nobody who have any experience of the Multi split type aircons, the ones with 1 outdoor unit and several Indoor units?

I saw one advertised but never in the stores. I did wonder if you would be putting all your eggs in one basket.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Can anyone suggest a store where they found the best prices for split type inverter aircon units? I am thinking Panasonic for reasons previously discussed here but also Kopel. I have not priced them yet but I know that Citi Hardware, Wilcon, SM Appliance carry at least some of these. I would also need installation and am interested in quality of service too. I realize the service aspect will likely differ between here and other locations but maybe there is  trend or history that some can share?

I think you really have to do your own local shopping and if possible, get local recommendations for local A/C companies.  Those that you mentioned and Abenson use sub-contractors, and you will probably find that they are the same local A/C companies.  That is what I found here in Subic / Olongapo.  The local A/C companies should be an authorized dealer for the brand you are buying.

We have a neighborhood FB group for residents here in the Freeport, and it has been great for getting tradesmen recommendations, such as A/C companies.

3.5 years ago I chose a local company who is an authorized Carrier dealer, and they did a good job back then, I think.  However, we currently have a problem with the piping on one unit sweating profusely, and after some research and closer inspection, I think their installation might have been sub-par.  They recently changed hands and all the staff are new.  They came out and really seemed clueless on the sweating.  I am going to have another recommended company take a look.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gary D said:

We have been looking around as well. Albertsons looked quite good and there installation cost were good, about 5k per unit. All homes had a good range but there installation cost were about 7.5k per unit. We are looking for two 1HP and one 2 HP. I liked the look of the Everest unit, cheap but apparently Chinese made. The Carrier were a lot more expensive but seemed far more economic to run. So might be worth the extra 20k or so.

Gary, where is "Albertsons" and "All Homes"?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Are there actually people paying less than that for installation of a split unit aircon system?  That instal price sounds great to me, if it is all in parts and labor.

I agree.  It can also depend on if it is a new install or a replacement, and where it will be installed.  The price only includes the first X feet of tubing too.  I paid p7500 for each 3.0 hp Carrier I had installed, plus the cost of the extra tubing.  They included 10 feet in the actual air con price, and I needed a bit more for each install.  The p7500 included chipping out a canal in one of the walls and re-plaster, and installation of new circuit breaker boxes for each unit.  If you are getting a replacement that is plug and play, it might be a lot cheaper.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

I asked at at everyplace I shopped, and either got a blank look or they said they don't carry them.  I would like to get a small multi-split for 2 bedrooms that currently have very old window type.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Im not claiming to be an expert on ac units , but i do have an International qualification on ac units called a cat 4 , which basically means i can service them but i am not allowed to touch the gas in the circuit 

Maintaing these units is quite easy  you do need the equipment, which is a soft brush ,vacuum cleaner and a pump up sprayer ,the type that you can get at garden shops 

The split types are best , the outside unit shoukd be protected from direct sunlight  , the modern dakin inverter driven splits will save you about 75 to 80% of the electricity in their running costs , they also show up an error code which can inform you as to either which maintenance schedule is required or which part may be u/s

To maintain your unit   remove thr filter and clean it with a vacuum  , use a soft brush if nessesary to remove any bugs from the outsude unit  

Now switch off the electricity,  get atub of cleaning agent from your ac supplier  ,read the cosh ticket , wear goggles asit is a mild acid  , dilute with water and put it in the sprayer ,pumpup sprayer and spray the solution liberally on the vains of the external unit ,do not use water on it own or you willshorten the life of your unit 

If you have water dripping from your internal unit ,then it is most likely the condensate pump that is u/s , some of the larger ones can be economically repaired but it is most likely one of the bright green or orange mini pumpsthat can be found close to where the hoses join the unit , these are straight forward to change 

Remember at all times to isolate the electrical supply

Dont moan too much atthe engineer for the costof spares , ac companies workon the same business model as car companies, they stiff you on the price of spares 

For those of you who give a toss about our planet, do not go and mess around with the gas side of things ,the gear to do this is very expensive, vacum pumps ,balancing guages , nos recharg bottles etc

Refrigerant gas is very destructive to the environment  , the market leader id DAKIN  , please if you can use inverter units with a gas called R32 ,the old stuff such as R22 is what caused that hole in the ozone layer 

Any questions  ill try to answer them 

You can get an app from dakin with the error codes on it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gary D said:

I saw one advertised but never in the stores. I did wonder if you would be putting all your eggs in one basket.

Thats true, but at the same time it´s not that your life will depend on it :wink:

3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I asked at at everyplace I shopped, and either got a blank look or they said they don't carry them.  I would like to get a small multi-split for 2 bedrooms that currently have very old window type.

I would also like one to our bed and livingroom but I need to find out more before I decide what to do.

Viking
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Im not claiming to be an expert on ac units , but i do have an International qualification on ac units called a cat 4 , which basically means i can service them but i am not allowed to touch the gas in the circuit 

Maybe you are not an expert but to me it sounds like you have alot more experience about aircons than the average guy, so I ask you if you have any experience from Multi split typ aircons? Is it a good idea or is it just better to go with 2 separate systems?

We have a small house with a 15 sqm bedroom and  30 sqm livingroom that we want to cool down a little bit. Only one room at the time will be cooled, livingroom during the afternoon and bedroom during night. 

What do you suggest?