Wifi Speed On Laptop - Any Techies Got Some Ideas?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Check your computer info screen to see what it shows for your available RAM. If you are not sure how to do this, I can guide you - not difficult at all... Perhaps your RAM is not adequate or not working properly?

For best results, you should have at least 4 gbytes RAM and better yet to have 8. You might also have processor speed issues. There are checks for that too that your system has available...

My computer is not slow, my internet connection is slow, but only from this laptop.

I have 12gb of RAM and at plenty free during normal use.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

My computer is not slow, my internet connection is slow, but only from this laptop.

When I had issues like that when living aboard the yacht, I sometimes resorted to threatening the offending hardware with a "float test." I would take it out onto the deck and hold it over the water then speak to it to let it know that it would be in the water shortly if it did not behave... Okay okay...rightly or wrongly, that seemed to sometimes remedy the problem...

Seriously, what some of the other guys said make sense - it sounds like an issue with the internal modem/communications... but still...:whistling:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

My computer is not slow, my internet connection is slow, but only from this laptop

As I understand it, your speed from that laptop was fine before, and now its not.  So something has changed.  It must be either faulty hardware, or software, or bloat.

The Filipino way is to go through and start replacing stuff until the problem is solved.  I prefer to do checks on each piece of hardware, and check to be sure I have not overloaded my laptop with apps or movies and stuff.  If not those then it will be a software issue.  If you cannot find it I would suggest using Windows Defender Fresh Start to get you back on track.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

This is very strange.  I still have not checked speed when hard wired, but check this out, all on wireless 20 feet from my router:

Makati PLDT Server, which is what they use.  My download speed has slowly been getting better.  It was in the teens earlier.  Look at the upload!

Screenshot (41).png

Same Makati server, but going through my VPN in San Francisco!  My download speed is a bit better, but the fantastic upload is gone.

Screenshot (43).png

My speed seems to be getting better but I have no idea why.  I'll try the hard wire now.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If you cannot find it I would suggest using Windows Defender Fresh Start to get you back on track.

Yes, I thought about that as a last resort.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'll try the hard wire now.

Well, that did not go well.  I forgot that my laptop does not have a Cat 5 port;  wireless only!  :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Let me see if I can find my usb wifi adapter and see how it does.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I found the usb wireless adapter.  It tests about the same as my internal wireless.

However, my speed keeps recovering.  Now up to 40 mbps.  I have no idea why.

graham59
Posted
Posted

Maybe the little maintenance man inside your laptop is having a sweep around. :mocking:

graphics-sweeping-569601.gif

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I found the usb wireless adapter.  It tests about the same as my internal wireless.

However, my speed keeps recovering.  Now up to 40 mbps.  I have no idea why.

Now it is back up to the promised 50 mbps.  Very strange.  I have been getting 100 mbps for the last year or so, so I hope it keeps going up.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Have you checked for viruses and malware? Perhaps something was using a lot of bandwidth on your laptop that you weren't aware of. Thus limiting how much was available for other things. Is there a log of network stats?

• Like 2