Wifi Speed On Laptop - Any Techies Got Some Ideas?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Heeb said:

Another thing you might want to check is whether you are using different frequency bands on your laptops, my PLDT router has 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz like most do, your wife could be on 2.4 and you on 5 or vice versa. the 2.4 is slower but has better range, 5 is fast but it's best when your device is closer to the router.

One other thing for you and other PLDT Fibr home users.  Yesterday when the techs came out the did a hard reset on the modem.  During the process, I think, the modem was updated with new firmware.  After they left, I could no longer access the modem settings as the password was changed.

I searched and finally found a very simple explanation of how to access the modem after the new firmware is installed.  Here it is:

https://www.mobilarian.com/showthread.php?t=1471749

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

TimL
Posted
Posted

Something to consider. My PLDT fiber modem has a 5G Wi-Fi and a non 5G Wi-Fi. Attached are Speedtests from both of those Wi-Fi connections. Non 5G makes a big diff in speed. Maybe your laptop is connecting to non 5G.

14658F71-3FB4-4B79-A26A-9E47E678BBAF.jpeg

80784D1A-87F6-46AA-92DC-4448E0F7547A.jpeg

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

One other thing for you and other PLDT Fibr home users.  Yesterday when the techs came out the did a hard reset on the modem.  During the process, I think, the modem was updated with new firmware.  After they left, I could no longer access the modem settings as the password was changed.

I searched and finally found a very simple explanation of how to access the modem after the new firmware is installed.  Here it is:

https://www.mobilarian.com/showthread.php?t=1471749

I have the same problem but the link didn't fix it, I tried it about a month ago, I will give it another go tonight since it worked for you. It seems PLDT doesn't want their customers to have access to their own WiFi network which is total b.s. I have the same modem as the landlord that moved back to New Zealand and it still had his password, I wanted to check to see if there were people piggy backing on and also change the password but I was denied access. We live next to the Subic homes office and I'm not 100% sure the old maid here didn't share the password.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Heeb said:

I have the same problem but the link didn't fix it, I tried it about a month ago, I will give it another go tonight since it worked for you. It seems PLDT doesn't want their customers to have access to their own WiFi network which is total b.s. I have the same modem as the landlord that moved back to New Zealand and it still had his password, I wanted to check to see if there were people piggy backing on and also change the password but I was denied access. We live next to the Subic homes office and I'm not 100% sure the old maid here didn't share the password.

I have access to my wi-fi router settings (Globe) but only limited - I cannot update firmware for example.  

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I have access to my wi-fi router settings (Globe) but only limited - I cannot update firmware for example.  

I had a pay as you go Globe router and I also had full access, PLDT is a crappy company.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Heeb said:

Which modem do you have?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TimL said:

Something to consider. My PLDT fiber modem has a 5G Wi-Fi and a non 5G Wi-Fi. Attached are Speedtests from both of those Wi-Fi connections. Non 5G makes a big diff in speed. Maybe your laptop is connecting to non 5G.

14658F71-3FB4-4B79-A26A-9E47E678BBAF.jpeg

80784D1A-87F6-46AA-92DC-4448E0F7547A.jpeg

No, as mentioned above, I use the 5G on my laptop.  My wifi and daughter use the 2.4 as it works better farther away from the router.

We only let my daughter use the 2.4 and shut it off in the evening when she is not supposed to be on the internet.  That is why I need access to the modem / router.

I'm surprised at your results.  My downloads are the same on both, but the upload on 5G is much faster.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Which modem do you have?

I have the same one in the photo on your link

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Heeb said:

I have the same one in the photo on your link

The link is for after the firmware update.

Try username admin and then for password

12345678 or 1234567890 or 0123456789 or 1234

You might have to wait a bit between tries.

Heeb
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Which modem do you have?

I just tried it again and I get this...Username or Password Error! I read a few responses on the thread, my Tagalog isn't that good but it looks like others have the same problem.