Maids - renumeration

Viking
Posted
Posted

Just out of curiosity, is it necessary with a maid when you are only 2 adult people in the house? Well I guess it depend on the situation, like if you both work full time, have Medical issues or similar things. Pls, dont misunderstand me, this is no critizism, but I guess it would feel a bit strange to me to hire someone to do those things I can easily do myself. But maybe I could get used to it :biggrin:

Instead of giving the maid extra money and gifts when she  wants to visit her home province, try to offer her a bonus when (if) she gets back.

Have a great day!

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted

So how much is the SSS and Philhealth going to cost for having the privilege of having a maid?

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I cannot say that is a definitive answer. However, it makes a lot of sense. They do not live like some of us who are accustomed to a monthly salary and how to budget for this.

L had a live-in for a while a few years ago. One day she said she wanted to go back to her home in the province. L paid her wage, gave her some extra for her trip (is this sounding familiar now?) and sent her on her way. Only after the worker was gone did she notice a few things in the house missing. And, of course, never heard from the worker again...

Even if your helper is qualified and reliable, she or he may just need or desire to have some cash on a weekly basis. Your worker may wish to send money back home if it is not near your location. Most islanders of all nations I have visited live from paycheck to paycheck which is usually week to week (and sometimes even day to day).

This is why I've always insisted to Menchu that the help we hire as live-in be either family or friends of family. Which is not to say that they won't leave or steal from you, but the stealing and disappearing is much harder for them.

We really need live-in help but can't seem to keep any. I don't know whether my wife is a taskmaster or what but, being and American who was a janitor for years and dealt with unappreciative people with foul attitudes, I know the problem ain't me.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Viking said:

Instead of giving the maid extra money and gifts when she  wants to visit her home province, try to offer her a bonus when (if) she gets back.

That sounds like a good idea, but I wonder if someone here would believe that offer and also if they would even remember it... Not trying to sound like a pessimist but a realist, Viking...

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Viking said:

Just out of curiosity, is it necessary with a maid when you are only 2 adult people in the house? Well I guess it depend on the situation, like if you both work full time, have Medical issues or similar things. Pls, dont misunderstand me, this is no critizism, but I guess it would feel a bit strange to me to hire someone to do those things I can easily do myself. But maybe I could get used to it :biggrin:

Have a great day!

Viking, no offence taken, no problems. My partner is full time over at the factory supervising the staff there on the production line and has to be roaming between the 2 factories, because once there is no supervisor around things slacken off, I don't know why that would be but it happens, and also has to supervise the loading of the product into the trucks for delivery, because in the past when stock went out it never tallied what the stores received, I am not suggesting for a moment that some stock was dropped off elsewhere, or that is was a bakers dozen ten fold.

In short the people in the factory and in the delivery phase cannot be trusted.

I am busy at the house, mowing, brush cutting, general duties, trying to maintain the place that is way out of my depth once my knees went, that was not supposed to happen until I got older.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Viking said:

Have a great day!

And then there is the 1/2 acre out the front of our house where I planted some fruit trees and some Banaba trees to give the place some shade, in between those trees I had planted some lawn which doesn't require me to mow that much with a self propelled mower but, there is always a But, I didn't think of the stupid factor, where stupid the person who looks after the six cows let them in to this portion of land after it had been raining solid for a week, you can imagine the weight of a fully grown cow walking in mud and the holes it is going to create walking in the mud. So while I was away seeking medical attention said stupid person let the cows in after I repeatedly instructed him not to, so now I have 16 cubic metres of top soil sitting out the front waiting for me to spread to fill in the holes that the cows created.

Luckily no one has left a gun around for me to use on him, or a short length of rope with a noose at one end for me to use.

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Tommy, are you saying pay them weekly. even if they are live in?

We have hired full time caretakers the past several  years for the wife's parents who live close to us.  Ages are 87 and 82, and in addition mom has had a stroke.   We also have hired a lot of casual labor over the years.  Caretakers, etc who have a more or less permanent position are paid at the end of each week they work.  Casual labor is paid at the end of each day's labor.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, jimeve said:

So how much is the SSS and Philhealth going to cost for having the privilege of having a maid?

PhilHealth is 200 peso per month.  Social Security is 12.5% of the wage.  The workers set themselves up with SS as a self employed voluntary insured person.  As self employed voluntary insured person they will pay their own premiums, but my wife goes with them to the office and gives them the money to make the payment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike, we were doing the same with the gardener, paying him every day, that's until my partner asked him to stay back for 5 minutes to finish the job they were doing, he spat the dummy at that and hasn't been back.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Sounds like you need a full time handyman/ gardener rather then a house keeper.