Maids - renumeration

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Sounds like you need a full time handyman/ gardener rather then a house keeper.

Spot on, but as I have mentioned in another post I just cannot get one.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

You can search for this year's salary increase by region with this link. The link here is for Cebu and domestic workers is down the page. 

https://nwpc.dole.gov.ph/regionandwages/region-vii-central-visayas/

• Thanks 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

You can search for this year's salary increase by region with this link. The link here is for Cebu and domestic workers is down the page. 

https://nwpc.dole.gov.ph/regionandwages/region-vii-central-visayas/

Thanks, appreciate your input.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Wait there's more.. It turns out she owed money to one of the other employees for some make-up, and other girly things and wanted to pay them when she got back from her holiday, but my partner insisted the other girls get their money before she left.

Viking
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Viking, no offence taken, no problems. My partner is full time over at the factory supervising the staff there on the production line and has to be roaming between the 2 factories, because once there is no supervisor around things slacken off, I don't know why that would be but it happens, and also has to supervise the loading of the product into the trucks for delivery, because in the past when stock went out it never tallied what the stores received, I am not suggesting for a moment that some stock was dropped off elsewhere, or that is was a bakers dozen ten fold.

In short the people in the factory and in the delivery phase cannot be trusted.

I am busy at the house, mowing, brush cutting, general duties, trying to maintain the place that is way out of my depth once my knees went, that was not supposed to happen until I got older.

Thanks for the explanation, I understand better now :tiphat:

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

The update on this is, that she contacted a cousin here and relayed the message that she has been sick and wants to come back, once again attempting to save face (at least that could be the case from the knowledge I now have thanks to this site).

My thought is that she went home and her mother who has been looking after her daughter said something along the lines of "So you are not going back to the job that you had which gave this household some income, here is your daughter, you look after her, and if you think that you are just going to sit around here attracting all the boys to your honeypot, think again".

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 2/2/2020 at 10:13 AM, Onemore52 said:

What do you people think should be a fair wage for a maid out here in the province, considering:-

A. The duties would be cooking, cleaning, doing the washing (automatic washing machine, nothing by hand) and preparing food for the dogs.

B. Acommodation and food provided, by accommodation I mean own room with CR and shower, tv and all linen supplied,

C. 1 day off a week on a Sunday.

The people in the house is me and my partner.

For comparison my Mother in law is a live out housekeeper. She lives with a boyfriend who is one of those vehicle repair guys..baby buses..jeepneys,etc. She gets here at about 5 am. And leaves around 12pm. My choice, because I don't like people hanging around in my house. She gets breakfast and lunch. I bumped her up to 7k this year just because she is my GF's Mom. And she does a good job.:biggrin: 

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

AK, but where do you live sir? I was discussing this with a good friend who runs a restaurant and he was telling me that in Manila a good maid gets 10k.

Since our maid left we are really finding out what she didn't do, things that I didn't notice while she was here, and I am now setting up a roster for myself to get the house back in shape, allocating hours between the house and my other chores in the garden dependant on the weather, definitely finishing at beer o'clock. My point is while the maid was here I didn't really want to get involved in her duties because I was the person in charge of the accomodation on a drilling rig where there was 100 men so if I was to get involved they would lose face and I would probably have been shot, knifed, or poisoned. Basically I know a lazy person when I see one, and I see a lot of that around me.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Onemore52 said:

Basically I know a lazy person when I see one, and I see a lot of that around me.

I think it is a viscous circle - wages are low so people don't feel like working hard (or at all). When people don't work, then wages stay low. And this just goes on and on. But I have seen places where, apparently, the wages are okay, because I see the people working hard and efficiently.

To me, S & R seems to be an example. I don't know their wages, but the people there are efficient and seem to work.

Another example... we have a working student. We give him a place to stay, all his meals (and some good ones at that, not just rice) and pay for his education at high school and all expenses. We also give him a small allowance. He works very hard at whatever we instruct him to do. We also instruct him about working hard regardless about what his peers may do. He seems to be learning and accepting and definitely continues to work hard and well...

Of course, that is not the universal answer, because there are motivated individuals - there just don't seem to be a lot of them here...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4