Spouse trying to deport me (Asawa ko Novela Part 2)

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 3/6/2020 at 10:34 AM, Freebie said:

And make a new email account

Proton email is free and encrypted. :smile:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Gator said:

Even if later proved to be untrue, the OP could spend months, if not years in jail proving his innocence. The court system here is extremely slow. 

And a lot of money. The court system can be extremely expensive too for a foreigner, if you get my drift?

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

And a lot of money. The court system can be extremely expensive too for a foreigner, if you get my drift?

Agree. And I do get your “drift”, lol. A few years ago an acquaintance in Cebu tried that route and it didn’t work. He was just scammed by them and is still in jail awaiting trial. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gator said:

Agree. And I do get your “drift”, lol. A few years ago an acquaintance in Cebu tried that route and it didn’t work. He was just scammed by them and is still in jail awaiting trial. 

A bit off topic, perhaps (that is just they way I am, sorry)... but after four+ years here, my take is that it is best to avoid the legal system as much as possible. Things just do not work here like they do in most of our home countries... and sometimes they do not work at all. Just my observation...

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

A bit off topic, perhaps (that is just they way I am, sorry)... but after four+ years here, my take is that it is best to avoid the legal system as much as possible. Things just do not work here like they do in most of our home countries... and sometimes they do not work at all. Just my observation...

Respectfully Tommy I have to disagree here.  I have no doubt it's most often stacked against the foreigner here but I do know of some success stories,  as I am sure others do. A lot depends on the clients attorney plus the judge.

If the OP has been separated now a week or so from his spouse it's unlikely any rape or physical abuse case would prosper, while this was once true my understanding now is it's becoming less likely. 

Again I would emphasize his urgent need to consult with a good reputable attorney before giving up his child and life here, once he has all the facts in hand he will be able to make an informed decision.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, RBM said:

... he will be able to make an informed decision.

This would be a concern - given the poster's health condition he may not be able to do this. 

RBM
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, hk blues said:

This would be a concern - given the poster's health condition he may not be able to do this. 

Thanks for this, perhaps I should of said, providing he is being advised by a reputable attorney as he suggests he is, he will come to an informed decision.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RBM said:

Respectfully Tommy I have to disagree here.  I have no doubt it's most often stacked against the foreigner here but I do know of some success stories,  as I am sure others do. A lot depends on the clients attorney plus the judge.

No worry, RBM. I think you offer good advice.

I guess I mostly hear about the unsuccess stories.  After years of traveling through many countries, I guess I am a bit jaded by the legal systems in countries other than my original home ones.

I have a personal attorney here who I trust implicitly. However I do see that the legal system has some...let's call them... gaps? ...I am not totally trusting about it. So I will reiterate my earlier comment that I think it is usually best to try to avoid it whenever possible. Maybe I stated it better this time?

I have heard through L and relatives and some other ex-pats that the legal system seems, at best, a bit problematic. And it is often prone to "influence." So I guess that, once again, I am a "Doubting Thomas?"

I think it depends, as you say, upon the quality of the OP's attorney (should he find and engage one) and the integrity of the court and judge(s) where he might seek relief?

I guess my ultimate suggestion would be to tread lightly whatever he does so he does not set off "alarms" in the legal system. I think yours' and other's advice sound really good.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

They work pretty much the same as they do in our home countries. If you are not rich, you pay for the attorney that you can afford. The expensive lawyers have connections with the Government prosecutors. Chances are pretty much zero if you go against someone with money.:shades:

• Like 3