Lockdown.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

Just been out for some bits and bobs to the shop Aldi and guess what they have everything on there shelves, loo rolls cleaning items , biscuits, sweets , tins of everything infact the only difference was there was signs saying only so many items could be brought of the same item .

Possiibly ecause everyone else is wising up to the idea that not going out means not going out for bits and bobs.

As I watch it on the news, Italy's streets have no one on them.  Too late.  Cases still rising exponentially.  Time to self quarantine is BEFORE it goes nuts.  But time will tell if it is panicing or good sense to ask everyone to stay indoors.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Possiibly ecause everyone else is wising up to the idea that not going out means not going out for bits and bobs.

Since retiring I have found certain times are better then others for doing some shopping and in the week it’s better then weekends plus mid morning or mid afternoon seems to be a better time to, also I am trying to keep a stock of food and cleaning stuff in for when it gets worst , I do try to keep my distance , I use the car to go to the shops and also wear my mask when walking around the shop and also have my wet wipes so I can wipe the handle on the basket I am carrying , I understand it’s better to stay in but if you do have to go out try to keep a distance from one another.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Well its just happened, total lockdown from this evening UK time, no one goes out.

• Hmm thinking 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

They cinched it in a bit here the other day. Last week travel was limited to inside our province here on Panay. Jeepneys and buses could get you to the border w/o paperwork.

My wife says no more jeepneys or buses running now to nearby small towns and their people can't come into our city. Travel is limited to within the city's barangays for people. The bus/jeepney/van terminal at the edge of the city is now deserted.

Limited commerce continues, but so few people are out and about that my trikeman decided not to roam about in search of customers, since he had to burn up gas for an hour or two before finding a customer.  He will just go on standby unless we need him for anything. 

Food markets and pharmacies have tape markers on the floor for queue distancing. Many masks and shields are in use as well as sanitizers everywhere.  The Jolli Bees and Mag Inasals are open in the malls, but other shops and kiosks are closed.  Many of the beach restos closed due to lack of customers,  but you can still go out and observe social distancing while there. Beer can be ordered.

It seems that local governments do have various options in some minor matters as long as they follow all the mandates from the higher levels.

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

They cinched it in a bit here the other day. Last week travel was limited to inside our province here on Panay. Jeepneys and buses could get you to the border w/o paperwork.

My wife says no more jeepneys or buses running now to nearby small towns and their people can't come into our city. Travel is limited to within the city's barangays for people. The bus/jeepney/van terminal at the edge of the city is now deserted.

Limited commerce continues, but so few people are out and about that my trikeman decided not to roam about in search of customers, since he had to burn up gas for an hour or two before finding a customer.  He will just go on standby unless we need him for anything. 

Food markets and pharmacies have tape markers on the floor for queue distancing. Many masks and shields are in use as well as sanitizers everywhere.  The Jolli Bees and Mag Inasals are open in the malls, but other shops and kiosks are closed.  Many of the beach restos closed due to lack of customers,  but you can still go out and observe social distancing while there. Beer can be ordered.

It seems that local governments do have various options in some minor matters as long as they follow all the mandates from the higher levels.

Boy, that was quick.  I just wrote and posted this and then went downstairs to get my second morning coffee.  My wife then informed me that the mayor had suspended public trike services so my trikeman will just be doing "family use" trips with us now, which isn't really a change from the above, except he has to sign/mark his trike just like on his coding day when we go places.

Since the trikemen now have no source of income with which to buy food, the mayor is giving them weekly food packages.  Wife said, 2 gantas of rice, ? amount of noodles, 2 canned sardines (what size ..?), coffee/sugar/creamer...... and I don't know and didn't ask for more details.  But I do know that the trike drivers' wives consider the package inadequate.  We will see if changes are made.

I told the wife that we would supplement our driver's food needs for the duration.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

What's going to happen when Filipinos get hungry?

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Old55 said:

In my perception, Old, they have always seemed to be hungry.

Now they will be more hungry... that is the difference. L and I are making a few "care" packages for some of the needier trike drivers and others we know and meet, but we know it is not nearly enough. Between us, we do not have the resources to feed many. We hope the government will step up and provide...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Stu.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, manofthecoldland said:

Boy, that was quick.  I just wrote and posted this and then went downstairs to get my second morning coffee.  My wife then informed me that the mayor had suspended public trike services so my trikeman will just be doing "family use" trips with us now, which isn't really a change from the above, except he has to sign/mark his trike just like on his coding day when we go places.

Since the trikemen now have no source of income with which to buy food, the mayor is giving them weekly food packages.  Wife said, 2 gantas of rice, ? amount of noodles, 2 canned sardines (what size ..?), coffee/sugar/creamer...... and I don't know and didn't ask for more details.  But I do know that the trike drivers' wives consider the package inadequate.  We will see if changes are made.

I told the wife that we would supplement our driver's food needs for the duration.

A ganta is a measure of volume, often a square box. You can get half ganta as well. We now need a pass to leave the barangay, the only way out is over a bridge so easy the control. Our barangay is only allowed to go to the local market on Tuesday and Friday and you need the pass to get into the market. I seriously need to work on my wife's panic buying skills as she doesn't try anything like hard enough.

• Sad 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, manofthecoldland said:

Since the trikemen now have no source of income with which to buy food, the mayor is giving them weekly food packages.  

I have a family member who owns and drives a tricycle in Ozamiz (their son is my Godson).  He was working only between the curfew hours (which cut his income a lot) but all the tricycle told yesterday that motorcycle trikes have to stop operating.  There are food packages being distributed in some areas but 'not here' (or at least not yet). 

I just did a money send, enough for a bag of rice and a little more,  I'm expecting I'll be sending again in a while.

I suspect a lot of expats, even those who aren't generally asked for help, will be getting requests like this.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic