A hard choice

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I reckon it's safest for me plus the rest of the population to just stay home

Now this is just me. Avoid crowds. If I am near people wear a mask, but most importantly touch NOTHING. Once bak in a "safe" environment wash hands before removing mask. Repeat as needed

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

So maybe they got it the same? There were no cases in Davao at that time. So maybe all countries are lagging? They wait until they find cases and by then it's too late since the transmission is invisible with so many not showing symptoms...

Sorry... sometimes my logic fails me too...

I don't disagree with the logic if that's the thinking but how can you criticise the UK for acting when it did yet praise Davao?   

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I don't disagree with the logic if that's the thinking but how can you criticise the UK for acting when it did yet praise Davao?   

Point taken, HK.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I reckon it's safest for me plus the rest of the population to just stay home. 

L or the working student go out to shop during the day when necessary.

This is my final post on this topic to you Tom.  You'll be happy to hear that! 

Can't you see the glaring inconsistency between the two statements?

To bring it back to my main point - under community quarantine rules your partner and working student are doing no wrong.  Under self-isolation they would be wrong. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

If I am near people wear a mask

Philippines dept of health at the beginning said wearing a mask is not the best thing to do, now Australian so called experts say a mask is almost zero protection.

Associate Professor Ben Mullins at Curtin University’s School of Public Health, who is an aerosol deposition expert, told Yahoo News Australia there is no need for people to wear face masks in public as they offer “almost zero protection”.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/experts-advise-whether-australians-should-be-wearing-face-mask-coronavirus-073843796.html

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's from the UK government website so should be reliable enough. 

Thank you for that.

"Reliable enough" is a good way of putting it.  I think the governments of the world are feeling their way through this crisis in the same way we, (the public), are doing.

The governments of the world are having the same arguments, internally, as we have on the forum.  For example:  (Pretending to speak as a government leader to a group of colleaugues) . .  Should we have all the public wear masks or not (governements are flip flopping on this) . . Should we have doctors treat the patients with anti malaria drugs . . . How isolated do we need to make members of the public . .  What is essential service during crisie.

It is to their credit that so many government leaders, around the world, can actually get their act together.  Whether these leaders are right or wrong it is the public's responsibility to follow them and trust that their decisions are "reliable enough".  Its all we have.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Australian so called experts say a mask is almost zero protection.

Governments and medical experts are flip flopping on their advice

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/31/824560471/should-we-all-be-wearing-masks-in-public-health-experts-revisit-the-question

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Governments and medical experts are flip flopping on their advice

Sure are. Cebu Mayor ordered everyone outside must wear a mask. Not sure where he got his advice.

In Australia the army was called into a factory to help make masks.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-27/inside-australias-only-medical-mask-factory/12093864

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

United States Navy Medicine is putting this out about over the counter masks:  Masks will not protect you from inhaling the virus.  The virus is very small and can make its way through and around the mask.  The best way to prevent being infected or infecting others, is to practice social distancing and good techniques (such as washing your hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, avoid touching your face, avoid sick persons, etc).

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

now Australian so called experts say a mask is almost zero protection.

The way I understand it, unless someone sneezes or coughs right in your face (or you walk through "air space" where the virus is still aerosolized) they don't really protect you that much.

Again the way I understand it, wearing a mask is more to prevent a person from spreading the virus. Part of a persons civic duty if you will. 

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic