A hard choice

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I'm not saying it's right, Tom, just that P Charles was following the same guidance that all UK citizens are - no preferential treatment.  

We ain't no experts so we can but follow the expert's guidance as it stands.   

Understood, HK. I did not mean to sound negative to you personally. But it appears that not all "expert's" guidance is correct - at least in my opinion.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Understood, HK. I did not mean to sound negative to you personally. But it appears that not all "expert's" guidance is correct - at least in my opinion.

No offence taken, Tom - but read the link I posted earlier.  It's from the UK government and it's important we follow the guidance from the highest level, don't you think?   

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

No offence taken, Tom - but read the link I posted earlier.  It's from the UK government and it's important we follow the guidance from the highest level, don't you think?   

I read it and get your point, HK. So I will just say I'm not buying into it. If this virus can be viable for up to 24 days, I think everyone should just bite the bullet and stay home for that time. Why rush it? If everyone did that, then the virus would run its course and be done.

I am really fearful that rushing the return to some sort of normalcy will simply prolong this situation as the virus cruises along finding new hosts.

So, I will also say that I think the UK government, in this case and all their wisdom, are making a mistake. Even here in Davao... the quarantine is in effect until they call it off - no time limit. That shows true wisdom to me.

Just my opinion again...

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I read it and get your point, HK. So I will just say I'm not buying into it. If this virus can be viable for up to 24 days, I think everyone should just bite the bullet and stay home for that time. Why rush it? If everyone did that, then the virus would run its course and be done.

I am really fearful that rushing the return to some sort of normalcy will simply prolong this situation as the virus cruises along finding new hosts.

So, I will also say that I think the UK government, in this case and all their wisdom, are making a mistake. Even here in Davao... the quarantine is in effect until they call it off - no time limit. That shows true wisdom to me.

Just my opinion again...

Tom - 

As we say in the UK - you're talking bollocks! 

The rule in the UK is for people with symptoms, not the general population.  7 days self-isolation (not community quarantine) for those with symptoms and 14 for their families.  

The situation around Davao, and other places here, is community quarantine, not self-isolation.  They are completely different things.  The UK implemented community quarantine before Davao so I fail to see how the UK govt. have got it wrong but Davao right.  There is no end date set for the lockdown in the UK.  

What is the guidance for self-isolation here in the Philippines? 

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, hk blues said:

What is the guidance for self-isolation here in the Philippines? 

Here we are arguing semantics again. I will concede your point.

I see self isolation and quarantine as much the same thing... I really don't know the regs for self-isolation here.

I reckon it's safest for me plus the rest of the population to just stay home. I guess that's the point I am trying to make, regardless of "official" regulations. Why not just play it extra safe for all our sakes?

There is an alcohol curfew (none to be bought or sold or consumed publicly) but I don't remember the hours - it is essentially overnight (I think 5 pm to 8 am?). And there is a personal curfew from 9 pm to 5 am, I think I got those times right? I just don't go out so they don't mean much to me.

L or the working student go out to shop during the day when necessary. I stay home, mess on the computer (as you see) and read and cook. Wait till you see the meatloaf I am baking right now!:cheersty:

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I checked for you Tom -

The Philippines has the same 14 day quarantine recommendation as the UK.  The UK implemented a community quarantine on March 23 - a full 10 days before Davao.  And without any end date.  

Yet the UK govt. has got it wrong and Davao right.

I just cannot fathom your logic. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The UK implemented a community quarantine on March 23 - a full 10 days before Davao.  And without any end date.  

So maybe they got it the same? There were no cases in Davao at that time. So maybe all countries are lagging? They wait until they find cases and by then it's too late since the transmission is invisible with so many not showing symptoms...

Sorry... sometimes my logic fails me too...

stevewool
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Just my opinion again...

Once this has sorted itself out then there will be time to reflect on who did the right thing and who did not.

All we can do is follow the guidelines from where ever you are plus use your own judgment on what you should do too.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

Here we are arguing semantics again. I will concede your point.

I see self isolation and quarantine as much the same thing... I really don't know the regs for self-isolation here.

I reckon it's safest for me plus the rest of the population to just stay home. I guess that's the point I am trying to make, regardless of "official" regulations. Why not just play it extra safe for all our sakes?

There is an alcohol curfew (none to be bought or sold or consumed publicly) but I don't remember the hours - it is essentially overnight (I think 5 pm to 8 am?). And there is a personal curfew from 9 pm to 5 am, I think I got those times right? I just don't go out so they don't mean much to me.

L or the working student go out to shop during the day when necessary. I stay home, mess on the computer (as you see) and read and cook. Wait till you see the meatloaf I am baking right now!:cheersty:

Tom, my friend, it is not semantics.  It's cold hard factual differences.  We are talking about 2 distinctly different processes - both of which exist in the UK and the Philippines.  You cannot just say I see them as the same thing when they are not - this could lead to danger.  

Self-Isolation refers to individuals who have symptoms who are required to stay at home for 7 days.  They are not allowed to go, out in any circumstances.  In addition, those who have been in contact with them have to self-isolate for 14 days.  This applies in the UK and the Philippines but I could not find any reference to the 7 day period here so maybe that is a variation. 

Quarantine/Community Quarantine/Lockdown refers to whole areas being prohibited from going out except for essential purposes.  It exists in some parts here and across the whole of the UK. 

To labour a point - it is grossly unfair to criticise the UK yet praise Davao when the UK took more severe action long before Davao.  And indeed clearly communicated policy far better given you had no idea of the self-isolation rules here.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic