Quarantine extended until May 15

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jaybee said:

Here in Cebu TOTAL death in the region so far is 9, mostly old with pre-conditions. They find few infected daily, most of them in jails... Now we are all in jail... Make no sense to lockdown so many for so few incidents.

The point of the lockdown is to keep the numbers that low.  Here in Iloilo we locked down before a single case was reported. The city has only 7 cases total (and one was a travel ban violator from Manila).  Without the lockdown there is no telling how many cases we would have.  

1 hour ago, AusExpat said:

Taking a look at Sweden, maybe exactly the same number?

Not impressed with their steady increase in cases. Over 18,000 cases and more than 2,000 deaths so far. 

• Like 4

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Not impressed with their steady increase in cases. Over 18,000 cases and more than 2,000 deaths so far. 

Well that seems to have changed fast. What are the percentages though do you know? Maybe I shouldn't be lazy and look them up.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

From what I have read in many news reports, that is where you should check in if you want to check out early?

10% of the Covid deaths in NY (or was it all US?) are at nursing homes.

• Like 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

The point of the lockdown is to keep the numbers that low.  Here in Iloilo we locked down before a single case was reported. The city has only 7 cases total (and one was a travel ban violator from Manila).  Without the lockdown there is no telling how many cases we would have.  

This BBC article does not seem to agree with your outlook on Sweden - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52395866

They do say that 50% of cases are from nursing homes, and Multi-generational homes with Somalians are over represented - which you would expect when you put 20 people into one house.

Can you suggest something else I can read to get a different perspective?

Edited by AusExpat
  • Like 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

10% of the Covid deaths in NY (or was it all US?) are at nursing homes.

Seems to be someone's policy to screw things up big time - https://nypost.com/2020/04/20/cuomo-didnt-know-coronavirus-patients-are-being-sent-back-to-nursing-homes/

Health Commissioner Howard Zucker, to whom Cuomo referred the question, said that under the state’s policy, “if you are positive, you should be admitted back to a nursing home.”

Assemblyman Ron Kim (D-Queens) said Zucker’s assertion that “necessary precautions” were being taken to prevent the spread of infections in nursing homes was “clearly not the case.”

“It’s either he’s lying or they have absolutely no idea what’s going on on the ground,” Kim said.

“The staff, the families, everyone is telling me there’s completely a lack of support and they don’t have the necessary PPE [personal protective equipment] to be safe.”

That is just evil.

Edited by AusExpat

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, AusExpat said:

Taking a look at Sweden, maybe exactly the same number?

Sweden aren't doing well, a population of only 10 million and already over 2000 deaths, in fact they've got more deaths per head of population than the USA.

If you take the same percentage of Covid-19 deaths and apply it to the Philippines then you'd have over 20,000 deaths but in fact the Philippines only have around 500 deaths.  

My take on that is the lockdown in the Philippines is saving lives and the open, no lockdown model in Sweden is killing people.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Sweden aren't doing well, a population of only 10 million and already over 2000 deaths, in fact they've got more deaths per head of population than the USA.

If you take the same percentage of Covid-19 deaths and apply it to the Philippines then you'd have over 20,000 deaths but in fact the Philippines only have around 500 deaths.  

My take on that is the lockdown in the Philippines is saving lives and the open, no lockdown model in Sweden is killing people.

The UK aren't doing any better... Last time I looked almost 20,000 dead population....68,000.000.

Edited by jimeve
missed some zeros
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, jimeve said:

The UK aren't doing any better... Last time I looked almost 20,000 dead population....68,000.

Yes the UK were slow to implement lockdown and are paying the price.  It only takes a couple of weeks delay.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

Yes the UK were slow to implement lockdown and are paying the price.  It only takes a couple of weeks delay.

Yep, Much too late with the lockdown and still not doing it right.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, AusExpat said:

I've come to the opinion that something funky is going on behind the scenes and we're not being told about it.

Sounds like a conspiracy nut...  

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic