Quarantine extended until May 15

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

6 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

In advertising it's called an advertorial and is supposed to be noted as such. Basically it's putting a slant (or 'spin') on a subject to push the idea that it is great. Advertisers used to do it in the newspapers where it would go in the editorial section and look like a news story rather than an advertisement.

Actually, I remember them being referred to as "Infomercials?" Maybe a different thing...?

Hmmm... at this point, I think perhaps we should just agree to disagree?:smile:

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Actually, I remember them being referred to as "Infomercials?" Maybe a different thing...?

Hmmm... at this point, I think perhaps we should just agree to disagree?:smile:

Same thing but different name for TV.

There's no disagreement, I'm just suggesting we consider the source of any news for possible bias.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

There's no disagreement, I'm just suggesting we consider the source of any news for possible bias.

I can easily agree with that comment, Aus...:smile:

Meanwhile... it's indoor sports, too much food and too much SML and Tanduay... for us until things settle down.... some day...:tongue:

Edited by Tommy T.

ITGeek
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just watch, when it comes close to May 15th, they will extend the lockdown for another 2 weeks, ad nasuem.

Quarantine is for sick people, healthy people go to work.  When everyone is under lockdown, it's call tyranny.  Politicians never give up their powers willingly.

🅱️ 25+ Best Memes About Darth Plagueis Speech | Darth Plagueis ...

Edited by ITGeek
  • Like 2

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, ITGeek said:

Just watch, when it comes close to May 15th, they will extend the lockdown for another 2 weeks, ad nasuem.

Quarantine is for sick people, healthy people go to work.  When everyone is under lockdown, it's call tyranny.  Politicians never give up their powers willingly.

Well this is just out now Thailand 50 Corona Virus deaths vs. 22 suicides due to less than a month of lockdown with the suicide hotline jumping from 30-40 calls a month to over 600 last month and the same number expected this month and the Good Samaritans hotline closed down as staff cannot get to work :(

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/at-breaking-point-thailands-poor-are-killing-themselves/

You may have a point ITGeek.

Explorer
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I think that's the whole point, Jaybee... If there were no lockdowns, how many might be sickened and dead? Take a look at Manila. I think officialdom was a bit slow on the uptake there and it took them by surprise. Same thing happened in some other areas. But people wised up quickly, I believe.

So I guess in your opinion we need to keep the lockdown forever because this virus is not going away anytime soon... 

• Like 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

The point of the lockdown is to keep the numbers that low.  Here in Iloilo we locked down before a single case was reported. The city has only 7 cases total (and one was a travel ban violator from Manila).  Without the lockdown there is no telling how many cases we would have.  

So you say we need to keep the numbers low? In Cebu City per the statistics death rate is 0.000005 of the population, they had zero deaths for more than 10 days... last week 70 years old with Alzheimer died. No cure for the virus, let face it people will die. At one point they need to lift the lockdown, and then? Back to square one...

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Sweden aren't doing well, a population of only 10 million and already over 2000 deaths, in fact they've got more deaths per head of population than the USA.

If you take the same percentage of Covid-19 deaths and apply it to the Philippines then you'd have over 20,000 deaths but in fact the Philippines only have around 500 deaths.  

My take on that is the lockdown in the Philippines is saving lives and the open, no lockdown model in Sweden is killing people.

17 hours ago, jimeve said:

The UK aren't doing any better... Last time I looked almost 20,000 dead population....68,000.000.

So Sweden is 200 deaths per million population

UK is 294 deaths per million working with the figures given above.

So Sweden with open borders and no lock down at all has better figures (almost 1/3rd better) than the UK with it's belated draconian lockdown.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

So Sweden with open borders and no lock down at all has better figures (almost 1/3rd better) than the UK with it's belated draconian lockdown.

:whistling:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, AusExpat said:

So Sweden is 200 deaths per million population

UK is 294 deaths per million working with the figures given above.

The UK has only recently gone into lockdown and they left it late, they will end up worse than Spain and Italy because of that.

You can't use them as an example of a proper lockdown because they didn't do a proper lockdown.

If you want to look at an effective early lockdown then examine Australia's or New Zealand's figures, both have compliance with lockdown and social distancing well in excess of 90%.  As a DIRECT result of that Australia has only 81 deaths with a population of close to 30 million and New Zealand only has 18 deaths with population of almost 5 million.

Countries need to look for answers to those countries that have controlled the virus (or pay the price in deaths).

• Like 2
  • Love it 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic